RGB mod Briefcase Interface Unit IFU-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RGB mod Briefcase Interface Unit IFU-30

Good friend of mine suffers from depression and this lock down is starting to wear him down a bit.

Am looking to pick up a briefcase unit to cheer him up, he had one before ( i know he loved that machine) but life has been pretty sh*tty to him over the years

Is there anyone on here or know of anyone who would RGB mod on the PC engine Briefcase Interface Unit IFU-3.

I can’t help with the RGB mod in the slightest, but this is a lovely thought man.

Comment

Lovely gesture but wouldn’t a PCE Mini suffice?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        Lovely gesture but wouldn’t a PCE Mini suffice?
        Edit: also do you actually need to RGB mod the IFU? Can’t you just use an RGB modded PCE and output from that? Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought the IFU was designed to add composite to the at-the-time RF only PCE. Maybe the audio mixing can’t be returned through the PCE but you could always make a custom cable that uses the L-R phono outputs of the IFU.

Comment

Edit: also do you actually need to RGB mod the IFU? Can’t you just use an RGB modded PCE and output from that? Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought the IFU was designed to add composite to the at-the-time RF only PCE. Maybe the audio mixing can’t be returned through the PCE but you could always make a custom cable that uses the L-R phono outputs of the IFU.
          No, I don't think it works like that.The IFU unit needs RGB.Once you connect the PCE & the CD Rom the output is through the IFU unit, a separate RGB PC Engine unit is just that.

I looked at the mini , but would prefer the briefcase set up for him. It's hard to explain without going into details. Lets just say for nostalgia sake more than anything.

Comment

Yes, I use a PC. Engine core Grafx RGB modded in a standard case. The video comes from the actual PC Engine while stereo audio comes via the case.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
              No, I don't think it works like that.The IFU unit needs RGB.Once you connect the PCE & the CD Rom the output is through the IFU unit, a separate RGB PC Engine unit is just that.

I looked at the mini , but would prefer the briefcase set up for him. It's hard to explain without going into details. Lets just say for nostalgia sake more than anything.
              You just need a RGB modded PC Engine. You don't need to mod the case at all. Here's is mine, the case is 100% stock. Well besides the hole I put in to it so I wouldn't have to take out the RGB cable all of the time.

Comment

What about the CD Rom ? Does the video output come through the Engine as well. I've never seen this set up before

Comment

The PCE CD-ROM just adds storage capacity, redbook audio and a single PCM sound channel. All graphics output is still handled by the PCE therefore it should still be possible to take RGB video feed from the unit. The composite output on the unit is just a video throughpass that adds mixed audio via the LR phono channels.

Comment

TBF the PCE composite output is really nice.

Comment

The PCE CD-ROM just adds storage capacity, redbook audio and a single PCM sound channel. All graphics output is still handled by the PCE therefore it should still be possible to take RGB video feed from the unit. The composite output on the unit is just a video throughpass that adds mixed audio via the LR phono channels.
                      AAh I see, sorry I was misinformed on how the set up worked..

Comment

I’d say it’s easier to just mod the IFU otherwise you’ll have to daisychain the audio to get the CD audio and it’s a lot tidier. If you had the parts I could wire it up if you supplied the scart lead + amp. You could do it without the amp but the contrast tends to be a little to dark otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by ExMosquito View Post
                          I’d say it’s easier to just mod the IFU otherwise you’ll have to daisychain the audio to get the CD audio and it’s a lot tidier. If you had the parts I could wire it up if you supplied the scart lead + amp. You could do it without the amp but the contrast tends to be a little to dark otherwise.
                          Cheers Mark.. I'll PM you

Comment

Working...
                          X