Snar Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snar Runner

I'm a big fan of the original Spin Tyres, and also Mud Runner. Originally the game is about using old Soviet military vehicles to drag logs to saw mills, down very muddy, sometimes flooded tracks, or fast flowing rivers etc. And this is proper the mud, the kind where you sink up to your knees and lose yer wellies.

You would start with a small scout car and a fairly standard truck, the scout car, you used to unlock the map by find watchtowers, these would also show where other vehicles are stashed, but sometimes they needed to be refilled or repaired. Trucks would range from 2wd, to proper 8 x 8 scud missile type trucks which would be unstoppable but absolutely guzzle the fuel. In lesser trucks you can get bogged down or stuck, and have to winch off trees etc. Or go and find something else to tow you in. In coop, once me and Hirst spent 10 minutes trying to drag a truck 10 foot over a ditch because we couldn't be bothered to go the long way one.

Anyway that's the basics, I've not played the US expansion for Mudrunner, the setting of Snar Runner starts off in a backwater US town, its all fall colours, flannel shirts and blue jeans, and your first mission is to find a truck and repair a downed bridge. It's got a lovely looking setting, with loads of rock trails, streams etc. So far I've just played in a pickup truck, which when I first started, I nailed the throttle and it just slewed sideways And also an old Mack truck which is on road only. I got stuck a few times in muddy puddles, and also had to winch my trailer across the mud before I could hitch it up.

On the chevy pick up, you have low range gears and 4wd, but no diff lock. You have to make use of all settings depending on the situations. 4wd and diff lock, uses the most fuel, but gets the most traction at the expense of turning left and right. This is a game often played at walking pace, and it's all about finding purchase. That little spot which isn't thick with clarts and might just see you ok to the brow of the hill. You can't bomb round like a rally car, throttle nailed. Sometimes you are using the gentlest squeeze of the trigger.

It's a lot more polished than the original, I believe there a lots of maps etc. Personally I prefer the Russian setting, way out in the Urals somewhere with some battered old smokey truck. Apparently there are tons of trucks and upgrades and mods, there is also a clone of a British Scammel truck!

The world choices open up straight after the first parts of the tutorial. You can take vehicles with you but you can’t buy Russian trucks in USA and vice versa. But you can ship them back with you! Currently driving round the US map in one of my dream cars, the Lada Niva! It’s called a DON 71 in this.

Comment

Thanks mate. I want this game. Sounds right up my street. I imagine this game is a grand solo game. However it does have MP support. How does that work? Do you do your regular tasks but with a friend who can ride with you in case you need help?

and what in the heavens is Snar?

Comment

Snar fall from sky! It has coop but not tried it yet. In the other ones you could tow each other and support with different trucks etc. Like one person go for fuel or repairs. I’ll pop up some pics in a bit!

Comment

Comment

Looks beautiful

Comment

Fork. Me can’t eat soup.

Comment

I’ve just driven past a bar and a sign on the window says PARP!

Comment

Had a decent go on this today, it's good fun trying to figure out what's what. Found a scout vehicle pretty early on which I've been using to explore the map a bit but everywhere I go I'm running into trouble. Blockages in the road, bridges that aren't there, ****in mud that you could swim in etc. Had to fix some new mud tires to the scout as that's the big problem on the first map it seems.

Not sure if I should be fixing up the map for easier travel or just going for some of the missions right now, but I do know I need an offroad truck of some kind, which I can't afford and haven't found a free one yet. The starting truck is for road use only so every time I even touch mud I just sink in lol. Guess I will scout a bit more and hopefully find a truck that can pull stuff in the mud.

It's a pretty game. The tutorial unlocked the 2nd map, Alaska, and I had a quick look and it looks fantastic.

Comment

It’s well worth clearing some of the blocks. The up arrows point to stuff needed, some of it is on trailers just laid about, so it’s closer than what you think!

Comment

Thanks for the tips, the interface is a bit weird huh.

Finally got an offroad truck by pretty much selling off every vehicle I found so far, except for the scout. Lovely that you can sell at full price, so you never really lose any money when your vehicles become outdated. This truck has now given me the ability to actually do some work in this mud apocalypse, although it has a tendancy to topple over sometimes so it's not perfect lol.

So far I've cleared some roads, built some bridges and even pulled one of the submerged trucks out of the swamp which was cool. Think I'll try do some of the real missions next, you can really get bogged down in the side stuff.

Comment

I did the same and sold all kinds. I do like how the buying and selling prices are the same, lets you experiment.

Comment

Working...
                        X