Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bin dippas

Comment

Mutation Nation? I though the Neo was notorious for not having any good scrolling fighters?

Something I've been pondering after playing an hour or so of this; whether I prefer it or not to Fight'n'Rage.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Mutation Nation? I though the Neo was notorious for not having any good scrolling fighters?
        You thought right.

Mutation Nation, Burning Fight (a poor man's poor man's Final Fight) and the Sengoku trilogy are all garbage.

Comment

Whut. Horses for courses but I love all 3 of those, and Robo Army. I'd say the only scrolling turd on Neo is Sengoku 3, and possibly Ninja Combat....but that's just a bit simple, not terrible.

Comment

Downloaded so will crank it up tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
              Whut. Horses for courses but I love all 3 of those, and Robo Army. I'd say the only scrolling turd on Neo is Sengoku 3, and possibly Ninja Combat....but that's just a bit simple, not terrible.
              Robo Army and Ninja Combat definitely suck too.

Scrollers on the Neo are absolutely dire. All of them.

Comment

Put about 6 hrs into this so far. A normal run with Axel and another with

SoR 1 Axel

I should probably add, I am a huge SoR fan, several hundred runs on 1 and 3, and easily fifteen hundred runs on 2 (mostly hardest / mania).

Quick version...Had a smile on my face most of the time!

Longer version...

I should start by saying that when I first heard SoR4 was coming and I saw the graphical style, it did put me off. So I went radio silent and did not follow it whatsoever as I did not want to go into the game with any sort of negative vibe. In fact, I only saw it had released due to the thread here!!

So...

Plays like a dream. Really plays like SoR2 with added combo mechanics. Controls are tight, the oomph factor when hitting enemies is as good as 2 was, just that kapow impact that so many scrolling fighters lack. Gameplay is fluid, levels aren't overly long / tedious, certainly on normal nothing felt cheap. Normal wasn't a cakewalk, but when I was in trouble it was clearly down to me. Did one level on mania, didn't seem overly tough, but I'm sure later levels will be.

The graphics, they actually work very well I think. I did not like the WBTDT style whatsoever, but here it really does work. Or at least, the action is such that I really wasn't paying too much attention to the character looks. Maybe as I get more familiar with the game, the enemy patterns and waves I'll focus on it more, but for now, not an issue. Backgrounds are good quality too from what I took in. Some direct copies from earlier titles, lots of obvious nods. Greater array of weapons and 'traps', decent enemy additions.

Other pluses...level select, boss rush mode, arcade mode, online, lots of characters to unlock. I'll be putting the hours into this, and don't anticipate getting bored for some time.

I'm not too far off SoR2 Axel, yay...I hope those few frames of grand upper invinciblity are still present to aid those mania runs!!

Things that don't do it for me...so far...hopefully the love will come...

The music. Maybe it was my focus on the action that didn't allow me to soak it up, but it really wasn't that memorable on my first run. Obviously there are lots of nods to earlier games' tracks, but therein is the problem. I only really noticed the music at those points where it was a very clear nod to earlier tracks...but just not as good. Hoping this changes over time. Also, assuming the credits are to be believed, not much is YK music, but what little there is, stood out during my run and was far better than the rest.

It's a nice touch being able to play classic music, but even then, it feels like a trick missed in some places and the tracks used for certain encounters really don't seem to fit them / the series history. Now maybe the choice of classic music has a random element to it, but if not, an example,

not having the Shiva music from SoR2 playing in the Shiva fight...no no no...just no...I mean eff no, just eff right off no NO NO

Tried online a few times. Connection quality ranged from superb to woeful. It did freeze most times though...not sure if that was connection issues or host leaving delay. Hopefully this beds down and improves.

(Story is ass, but who plays SoR for the story...)

That's it for the not so goods for now.

A final note. This very much seems to me like a SoR remix / fan service as opposed to a true sequel. The progression from 1 to 2 to 3, graphics, sounds, ideas, was clear to see. This is very much SoR2 2020 upgrade in many ways. Not a bad thing, SoR2 is a personal top 3 all time game. I can't help thinking though that the devs could have pushed the game further along. (Having not followed the game dev maybe this was the intention, and sure, IT IS a sequel, it has 4 in the name!!)

Right now, not a SoR2 killer, but a worthy tribute and addition to the SoR saga. Will update my thoughts when I've put in a few dozen hours, but that I can comfortably see myself playing that much (with a near constant grin) is a jolly good sign.

Comment

First impression I agree with Kotatsu Neko and Baseley, suspect a lot of people are getting nostalgia for the series, but truth be told. if you haven't played the series in years, buy the Mega Drive collection on PS4 it even includes the awesome Japanese version of Bare Knuckles III and you get lot's of other great games with the SoR trilogy as well.

The art is really poorly drawn and many characters look terrible, the new designed character look pretty good, but the ones based off characters from previous games are a very mixed back. Axel's proportions look off he doesn't even look human, more like some dwarf character, Blaze on the other hand is much better drawn, seem they rushed some characters. Background are a mixed bag, first part of stage one looks great, second part looks terrible, the hazard wires on the floor, all just look wrong. Animation is also hit and miss, with some characters having tons on animation like Blaze and others having none.

To be honest the art looks badly unfinished and they made the mistake of showing this off early and not correcting. Characters jar with the background and look uneasy with one another in places, like they were designed for two different games.

Music is very underwhemling and just lacks the pace of the original games, suspect the developers included the original soundtrack just to please fans as they new, the new tracks were rubbish. The versus mode music had a very cool street of rage vibe so I did wonder if that was one of the Yuzo Koshiro guest track.

The developers clearly didn't understand the franchise in many areas and should have got Yuzo Koshiro and his company Ancient Corp on board to help, seeing as they are the real power house behind SoR. While the combat and collision is solid and makes for a good game. The balancing is utter rubbish, game seems to have been balanced for 1 player and not 2 or more. As you can trap enemies in near infinite combos in two player and just cake walk the game on the harder setting. There didn't seem to be additional enemies on two player, compared to one, which is a huge blunder by the devs. Instead the difficulty increases the number of enemies on 4 player you should just play on the hardest setting possible then. Did the first two stages with my brother, without breaking a sweat, there is just no tension in this game. Boss patterns are very easy to guest, as they sign post their attacks for far too long.

It's nice to have a new scrolling beat'em, but having played titles like Dungeons & Dragons and Guardian Heroes, with their huge move sets and branching paths. SoR4 is just dated and old hat, compared to even the Scott Pilgram game and the soon to be delisted free to play Knights of Valour (Which has it's own set of problem.)

To be honest Fight'N Rage is a much better game on PS4, due to all the routes and unlockables it has.
                  Last edited by S3M; 01-05-2020, 10:34.

Comment

Far too many opinions here about artwork being palmed off as fact. Poorly-drawn my arse. Not to taste, fine. Technically deficient? No.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                      Poorly-drawn my arse. Not to taste, fine. Technically deficient? No.
                      Most definitely. From a technical standpoint, the animation is top quality. And it's head and shoulders above and beyond the animation in any Streets of Rage game to date. The artists involved here are incredibly skilled and incredibly talented and have put in a huge amount of work. (Citation: 20 years experience in animation, much of that being an animation director.) But yeah, of course it's absolutely fine not to like it - if the style doesn't work for you, that's totally valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                        I'm playing this on PC and it runs fine and supports HDR, but it's turned way, way down and looks like SDR. There's no ultrawide support either, which wasn't a surprise.

It doesn't support HDR. It's running in SDR and you have Windows set to HDR.
                        This is why it looks dimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                          I thought Sengoku 3 was well-regarded. I got a telling-off on rllmuk for saying I had found it mediocre. Not just disagreement, but a "how can you be such a heretic?" telling-off.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                            I thought Sengoku 3 was well-regarded. I got a telling-off on rllmuk for saying I had found it mediocre. Not just disagreement, but a "how can you be such a heretic?" telling-off.
                            Heh classic Internet. Afaik it was made by a different team and just bears the Sengoku name, pretty bland affair really.

Comment

Me and one of my boys just had a couch co-op sesh. Both really enjoyed it. Now I'm no expert on SoR ... I loved the first one but by the time 2 came out I was way too deep into my SNES love affair to notice. But I do like a good scrolling brawler. And this is a really good one.

I can see how the aesthetics divide opinion but that Spider-verse comparison was spot on ... and I love how that looks.

But the gameplay is where it counts and it's great fun.

We need the opinion of one of our ex-vgi members (I think his name on here was pressplaynow) ... SoR4 was always his most wished for game and I'd love to know where he stands.

Comment

Had a quick blast earlier. My initial thoughts were it is decent fun. Why did they remove the running and rolling mechanic from Bare Knuckle III? Thought that was a huge oversight and really added pace to the series. Perhaps it's unlockable with certain characters, just thought it a peculiar choice.
                                3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
                                X