This thread in image form.....

Can we stick to clipart images in this thread please

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Can we stick to clipart images in this thread please

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          Any artist worth their salt would tell you taste is subjective. So it doesn't matter if someone works in 'art & animation', it's all about personal taste. I took another look at SoR4 in action -- and the art style still screams 'clipart' to my eyes. It doesn't look attractive to me, but some people say they like the style. Since the game was revealed, opinion on its graphics has been very divided.

The whole aesthetic design looks really dull and pretty basic to me. It just feels extremely soulless. That's just my honest critique of the visual design. I love the look of the MD Streets of Rage games, but I wouldn't expect lo-res graphics these days. I just wish the visuals in SoR4 did appeal to me, because it would be nice to have a new entry in the series that excites me. But the graphics in this game turned me off from the first moment I saw the trailer in action.

I wouldn't agree with anyone -- even people in the art field -- who says there can only 240p pixel art or this clipart style for 2D games. Artists are free to create all sorts of art styles. Another developer might have approached the aesthetic design of SoR4 very differently. There's lots of room to be creative.

The idea that the people who don't like the graphics and use terms such as "clipart" etc... are just being small-minded and malicious, is ridiculous. I remember stating that I don't like the visual design and then receiving a backlash, which was very strange seeing it's just an honest opinion. I wouldn't say the graphics are terrible in any way, but the style feels flat and lifeless to me. Lots of people share that view, so it's all down to personal perception and taste. There's nothing wrong with liking it, or not liking it. Honest opinion should never been be seen as a bad thing.
          Totally agree

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
            Today we talk about lovely pixel art. in 20 years time we'll be saying "look at that amazing Flash art!"
            No, they'll be buying the Mega Drive SOR Classic collection. In fact, playing that very collection on the Xbox One, just reminds me how good and much better SOR II and SOR III is to SOR IV.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              This thread in image form.....

Cracking LP that!

Comment

Played through Story Mode now. Sorry, this game isn't for me and I don't care if the Bordersdown SoR4 Defense Force don't like that take on it.

Is it the best SoR game? It could be. It definitely follows on with the style-over-substance mantra of the past games in the series, only this time it throws in a super-nasty and super-cheap "we'll just let all enemy characters have invincibility/guard armor frames whenever they want" mechanic which really and truly goes against the great belt scrollers of the past.

I'm still not sold on how the game looks but I can understand why others are and that work was put into the artstyle even if it ultimately isn't to my taste of what I want from a belt scroller. Soundtrack is good though - not SoR 1 & 2 good, but good.

All said and done, I'll stick with Capcom Belt Action Collection/Beat-em-up Bundle.
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 30-07-2020, 06:19.

Comment

Played level one of this last night on GamePass while waiting for Ghost of Tsushima to update.

The music is so cool. Graphics are lovely and it feels really nice to play.

Comment

SoR4 Defense Force. Tremendous!

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                      SoR4 Defense Force. Tremendous!
                      You would think that. You're the Commander-In-Chief of it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        You would think that. You're the Commander-In-Chief of it!!
                        A badge of honour! To wear on my tit alongside my EDF Defense Force medal :-)

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                          A badge of honour! To wear on my tit alongside my EDF Defense Force medal :-)
                          Plenty of room on em

Comment

Posting this again, purely because I made the effort to make it.

Comment

I don't get it. What am I supposed to be looking at?

Comment

Clipart.

Comment

Working...
                                X