the 2tb leak of old nintendo software/betas and SDK's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 2tb leak of old nintendo software/betas and SDK's

Not seen it discussed on here yet, but the brief is, a year or 2 ago a group managed to get into a Nintendo Server and found it contained everything... Development SDK's, source code, unseen prototypes and betas for old games from gameboy and N64, up to the gamecube and Wii.

Not much has come of this as the group that did the hack kept to themselves, but it has now started to the trickle out with the source code for the old gameboy pokemons released in jan this year and now it seems SDK for n64 and source code for Mario64 and Zelda64. Of which someone has already ported mario64 to PC, and now that has be ported to a web browser https://froggi.es/mario/ which runs perfectly on my old toaster PC in high res, natural widescreen, and works well with 360 controller (take a while to 1st load up).

Looking forward to seeing if the treasure haul has all those n64 spaceworld demo's or any of the abandoned Mother stuff.

If you've read otherwise, correct me on this, but I think the Mario 64 port actually came as a result of the Mario 64 decompilation project (https://github.com/n64decomp/sm64) and the timing is just a coincidence. The leak is pretty interesting though!

Comment

Yeah, you're right, i just had assumed the source code being out there and the timing of this release was related.

Comment

the PC mario64 ports are still being worked on, an interesting version below going for the SGI look the promotional artwork used for mario64 had, along with a full analoge camera and 60fps.

Comment

This is what Id expect the switch port to be. Good work.

Comment

More leaks from Nintendo this time some Prototypes are coming out. First:

Then a Prototype of what was at the time titled Super Mario Bros 5

Not much to see to this one but it's Super Mario Kart's prototype, apparently the data includes unused tracks

Images of leaked stuff:

And the list of the leaks full contents:

Also discovered:
            iQue had attempted to move on an online Pokemon for PC that used a GBA as the controller

Some random bits:

The Best One:

Comment

**** me. That "Donkey" character looks kind of like Rayman.
              Could we possibly be looking at a canned “Super Donkey Kong” variant that was turned into Yoshi’s Island when Rare’s take on it won out?
              Absolutely incredible to see this stuff leak - almost nothing ever gets out of Nintendo, so this is a huge win from a historical perspective.

Interesting also that the baby character wasn’t always Mario.
              Last edited by Lyris; 25-07-2020, 04:28.

Comment

Supposedly this is an Early Yoshi? Not sure of the source. (It’s frustrating that these Twitter and YouTube users will post stuff contextless, or add their own music over the video, without explaining it, it just distorts history.)

You can see how the baby Yoshi sprite in the final game resembles the early iteration. Seems like they updated Yoshi to be cuter but left the baby sprite looking more dinosaur like.
                Last edited by Lyris; 25-07-2020, 04:59.

Comment

the zelda 2 port to snes stuff even if it just 1 set of sprite works seems to have some relation up to a mysterious preview mock up for the BSnet. lots of grasping at straws, but it alot of fun to speculate.

Preserving Details, Screenshots, Videos & more Lost Media for Zelda II [SNES - Tech Demo] Help us to remember cancelled video games!

Comment

It continues... just incredible. Screen grab from beta Zelda 64:

Someone's dumped the room and textures previously thought lost to time:

There is something so eerie and profound about this kind of thing. Like cracking open a tomb.
                    Last edited by Lyris; 26-07-2020, 02:24.

Comment

Some interesting findings in there... one is the original Japanese title for what became Super Mario All Stars, in English. And also a character from what looks like a tennis game.
                      Last edited by Lyris; 27-07-2020, 04:35.

Comment

The Batch 2 list:

And the Luigi model from Super Mario 64 begins to be reconstructed

Uncompressed sound files from Starfox 64

Comment

It'd be nice if Nintendo started to dump these things themselves, 25 years after the occurances. A little bit like how the CIA approve previously classified documents for public release.

They could make books out of all of this and they'd sell loads. Especially for 25yr anniversaries. They probably don't like how grossly unfinished these assets are.

Comment

Right? There's clearly an interest in this stuff, because in a sense it's like an alternate reality childhood. Behind the scenes of the games we played to death. Someone on Twitter put it wonderfully when he saw those Zelda64 dungeon models - "It's like a place I know in my heart but I've never seen".

Interestingly, the prerelease Mario World art data has the Utsurun Desu character in it. Best theory I read is that Nintendo could have been considering a separate game with the character using the SMW engine and were mingling assets.
                            Last edited by Lyris; 27-07-2020, 04:08.

Comment

I love that Nintendo has kept everything.

MVG mentioned an interesting catch-22 for emulator developers - they would get in serious trouble if they used any of the source code - although I expect some underground versions of open source emulators will pop up in due course.

From a historical perspective it's a treasure trove. Whether you just want to look at sprites/objects, make some cool wallpaper or finally get round to optimising that N64 emulator you gave up on, there's something in there for everybody.

Comment

Working...
                              X