Change mechanical key caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change mechanical key caps?

Pardon my ignorance on this subject, asking for a friend - can you change out keys on any mechanical keyboard?

So if the keyboard has blue switches, you can swap in any key caps that fit that type of switch?

Thanks

Yes, all mechanical keyboards I've had or seen allow you do so. Just pull out the plastic keycaps out with a keycap remover which most mechanical keyboards come with.

Changing a switch, say from Cherry MX Blue to Cherry MX Brown is far, far harder and (more than) likely requires a soldering iron. But it can be done (had one person buy a Ducky Shine 3 limited edition from me to do precisely that).

Places like Overclockers UK sell whole key cap replacement sets, although it can get expensive. Probably many more choices for retailers to go to.

Keycaps are universal as far as I am aware. They have a little 'cross' shape to push the kaycap onto, although I'm sure there will be some old IBM keyboards or something that don't conform to that rule.

Comment

Thats great yes just looking to change the caps for a different colour I think, thanks for the info.

Comment

Funnily enough watched this random video on mechanical keyboards yesterday. So much inspiration. Part of me wants to buy/build a mini-keyboard. But I cannot justify/need it.

Comment

Working...
        X