Freelance sites or whatever they're called

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelance sites or whatever they're called

Has anyone ever hired someone or comissioned work through these? There's more than I can remember, including 'pro' versions of them. I'm asking because a while back a friend used them and we had to repeat the instructions a hundred times, even with screenshots and hand drawn diagrams, yet they'd still make mistakes.

The work was decent in the end but some of them were a total scam, having hundreds of good reviews but producing work that looked nothing like their previews, I assumed they were hiring other guys for less and getting bullsh1t back. It wasn't all about a language barrier, either.

Have you had better experiences?

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
    Has anyone ever hired someone or comissioned work through these? There's more than I can remember, including 'pro' versions of them. I'm asking because a while back a friend used them and we had to repeat the instructions a hundred times, even with screenshots and hand drawn diagrams, yet they'd still make mistakes.

The work was decent in the end but some of them were a total scam, having hundreds of good reviews but producing work that looked nothing like their previews, I assumed they were hiring other guys for less and getting bullsh1t back. It wasn't all about a language barrier, either.

Have you had better experiences?
    It's extremely variable, what you get back.

First off, I've found Fiverr quite useful (that's a site where you hire people to do relatively small things for £5 increments), but you need to have reasonable expectations obviously. Don't pay for PR though it; those are all scams.

Artwork though is a crap shoot. We have some professional artists here who can give that side, but my one piece of advice, other than the obvious stuff (like making sure your reference is comprehensive), always look at an artist's portfolio first, and, critically, look for the worst piece of work. This represents the worst image that they're willing to show off as a portfolio piece. As you assume their portfolio is only their "best" art, this is the "worst of the best"; I generally don't hire artists if their worst piece is not to a standard that I would hold up as good.

It also helps if you can point to a specific image of theirs which you like.

Sometimes you still get poor work back, but that's a risk you take. I commissioned an artist for a project and paid quite a bit a while back, just got something back that would be fine for their deviantArt but nowhere near the level of quality of some of their stuff, and not usable for its purpose. Feedback wasn't even worth it in this case, it just wasn't salvageable. Fortunately I found another artist who, with all the same information, made something absolutely fantastic.

Price is a factor, too. It doesn't guarantee good work but generally helps. Like I might pay $150 for a character illustration; a good one. This is still quite cheap but it's the extent to which my budget will go, so I have to do a lot of shopping around.

Comment

Thanks for your detailed reply. The experience we had with artwork was they were either using someone else to do some of it or doing it while drunk and blindfolded, some of the time. It is like the rest of the internet really I guess, can range from good to a nightmare.

Comment

Yes, thank you very much for explaining this in detail.

Comment

Good post, Bill. Solid.

Comment

Spambot is spam.

Comment

Billphisher, am I right? Eh? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Billphisher, am I right? Eh? Anyone?
                Him and his mate Isakpitt - ban them now before the spam.

Comment

And stevecrowd in the import thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X