The Wonderful 101: Remastered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wonderful 101: Remastered

I backed this on KS and received my PS4 code on Friday.

The basic premise is that you build up a huge team of people while running, dashing and double-jumping around the stages while knocking seven bells out of the numerous enemies. And the game is by Platinum, so get ready for c-c-c-combos.

The team is generally comprised of superheroes but you can Jehova's Witness dazed citizens into joining your cult-I mean-superhero team.

The team can link together to form weapons(e.g. a giant sword for attacking) and other objects(e.g. a bridge to cross a large gap). You form these objects by drawing symbols with the right stick or, just like the Wii-U, drawing on the DS4's touchpad. Speaking of which, Platinum have done a wonderful job with the touchpad. The touchpad is much smaller than the Wii-U gamepad's screen so drawing has to be a little more precise, but the touchpad is capacitive so it doesn't need any pressure to draw. When things gets hectic, drawing with my thumb is a bit quicker than using the Wii-U gamepad. Accuracy is an issue but I prefer it to the right stick.

The touchpad also handles a smaller, secondary screen which has a map and lets you do other cool stuff. It was originally displayed on the Wii-U gamepad but could also be overlaid on the main screen. Click to show/hide it; drag to move it around; pinch to change the size. You can also have main and secondary screens side-by-side on your telly. Double-clicking the touchpad will pause the game and let you adjust that secondary screen using the sticks instead of the touchpad.

The game has English/Japanese voices and a bunch of languages for display/subtitles. It even lets you choose US English or real English.

WONDER-RED!

You didn't play it on the WiiU?

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
      You didn't play it on the WiiU?
      I have it on Wii-U but I only played it for a few hours. That's not the game's fault - I just rarely use the Wii-U.

Comment

For some reason this is not on Steam in the UK yet?

Comment

I heard that the right analogue stick was the original way this was meant to be controlled and the WIi U exclusivity made it so they had to use the touch screen. I actually have it but never played it as I hated switching between screens on Wii U games. Looking up and down constantly. This remaster might work better for me as I always wanted to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            Looking up and down constantly.
            Now that's how you judge a game!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
              I can't help it. I played with the pro controller on Wii U almost exclusively. If the game relied to heavily on the gamepad, I could never adjust. How on earth do you focus on both screens? Rayman is one of my favourite last gen games and I still play it on PS4. The "best" version on Wii U? Hated it. Pointless touch screen gimmicks imo. Don't get me started when the TV display just displays "look at the tablet" - even the Wii U settings do this. Why can't I just see it on the TV now that it isn't being used for anything!

Comment

They have to try this things or else we'll just have the same games and control methods forever.

Coming from a man here who's never broken the seal on his Wii U W101

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                  I can't help it. I played with the pro controller on Wii U almost exclusively. If the game relied to heavily on the gamepad, I could never adjust. How on earth do you focus on both screens? Rayman is one of my favourite last gen games and I still play it on PS4. The "best" version on Wii U? Hated it. Pointless touch screen gimmicks imo. Don't get me started when the TV display just displays "look at the tablet" - even the Wii U settings do this. Why can't I just see it on the TV now that it isn't being used for anything!
                  Didn't Nintendo admit that this is what ruined the new Starfox game?

Comment

FYI [MENTION=303]Saurian[/MENTION] did a great video guide set for this game way back when:

Comment

Working...
                    X