Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mafia: Definitive Edition (and Mafia Trilogy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mafia: Definitive Edition (and Mafia Trilogy)

Some rather unexpected news yesterday was the announcement of Mafia Trilogy, with rather limited details.

Teaser Trailer here: https://mafiagame.com/

If you don't remember, it's basically a GTA-style series but always based in the old days and with a slightly more realistic feel. For example, the first game is set in the 1930s and most of the cars are extremely slow. Also if you drive into a lamp post at 50mph or flip a convertible over - instant death. The second one is set both in the 1940s and - after a bit of an intermission - the 1950s and has an interesting world to explore that allows you to visit diners and what-not. The third was a bit of a black sheep, being developed elsewhere and absolutely full of bugs - I haven't played that one yet.

With the first game being released way back in 2002, second game being a 2007 release and the third coming out in 2016, people did wonder exactly what the scope of this project would be. People predicted - based on the way the trailer didn't really show proper footage of the first game - that it would probably be a straight port of the first game and some tweaks to the second and third.

Somewhat more surprisingly, it was then leaked onto the Microsoft Storefront that the first game would be a complete ground-up remake to be sold as a standalone title called Mafia: Definitive Edition. And here's some screenshots:

As a huge fan of the first one (I really think it was a fantastic well thought-out game with a superb atmosphere and very lovingly created) I'm very interested, with my only reservations being that the developer is Hangar 13 - who did the broken third entry. However, Mafia was a huge title for 2K Games so I wouldn't be surprised if they are keenly watching to make sure it all goes OK.

Looking forward to picking up a heater and blasting some goons down an alley, anyway!

Impressive, especially that taxi. It looks gorgeous.

Comment

That remake looks lovely and should be nice to go through given the abandonment GTA has done on this gen. Apparently Mafia 2 is more of a remaster than a remake though, not sure what the point of rereleasing Mafia 3 is unless it gets a thorough reworking

Comment

I'd definitely be interested in this. The graphics look terrific and it seems like a worthy candidate for a remake. I never played the original but was always intrigued by what I heard about it, especially vis a vis its more realistic approach.

Comment

This is great news... I’ve only played mafia one briefly, but it was Mafia 2 that got me hooked from beginning to the end. It looked great for its time.

I’ve not played Mafia 3, so this release of the trilogy is a nice reintroduction for me to get back into these mob inspired games.

Perhaps a 4th game is in the works and this release of the previous 3 is to wet the appetites of fans and gamers before the reveal, whenever that will be.

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
            Perhaps a 4th game is in the works and this release of the previous 3 is to wet the appetites of fans and gamers before the reveal, whenever that will be.
            Yep, there have been leaks suggesting a 4th entry in the series.

Those shots do look lovely, as mentioned. I've got Mafia 2 & 3 from freebies/PS+ but never played any of them either.

Comment

Mafia 3 was one of those games where it's not really that bad, more bland. Like it has a very limited and repetitive gameplay loop.

Comment

I'm sure I started the 1st or 2nd one and drifted way. Definitely interested in this though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                  Some rather unexpected news yesterday was the announcement of Mafia Trilogy, with rather limited details.

Teaser Trailer here: https://mafiagame.com/

If you don't remember, it's basically a GTA-style series but always based in the old days and with a slightly more realistic feel. For example, the first game is set in the 1930s and most of the cars are extremely slow. Also if you drive into a lamp post at 50mph or flip a convertible over - instant death. The second one is set both in the 1940s and - after a bit of an intermission - the 1950s and has an interesting world to explore that allows you to visit diners and what-not. The third was a bit of a black sheep, being developed elsewhere and absolutely full of bugs - I haven't played that one yet.

With the first game being released way back in 2002, second game being a 2007 release and the third coming out in 2016, people did wonder exactly what the scope of this project would be. People predicted - based on the way the trailer didn't really show proper footage of the first game - that it would probably be a straight port of the first game and some tweaks to the second and third.

Somewhat more surprisingly, it was then leaked onto the Microsoft Storefront that the first game would be a complete ground-up remake to be sold as a standalone title called Mafia: Definitive Edition. And here's some screenshots:

As a huge fan of the first one (I really think it was a fantastic well thought-out game with a superb atmosphere and very lovingly created) I'm very interested, with my only reservations being that the developer is Hangar 13 - who did the broken third entry. However, Mafia was a huge title for 2K Games so I wouldn't be surprised if they are keenly watching to make sure it all goes OK.

Looking forward to picking up a heater and blasting some goons down an alley, anyway!
                  Quality post Hirst.Mind you ,I liked part 3 too. Can't wait for this

Comment

Yes definitely interested in this. Loved 1+2

Comment

The first was a curate's egg. The on-foot sections were incredible - the constant vehicle missions between every single on-foot mission were trash.

However, there was a lot to love about the on-foot bits - at least the PC version. I heard the console port dumbed it down? For example:

* If you reload weapons you lose what you had in the gun. It's realistic reloading. Also, enemies will run out of ammo. I recall the first mission, it was a tense gunfight in a bar, and suddenly I'm out of ammo, hiding behind a wall, when the two thugs inside also run out of ammo and suddenly we're punching other the bar top!

* There's a bit after this where you must chase down an escaping thug in his car. I kept dying over and over, and found this tedious. And it forces you to restart at the beginning of the preceding on-foot section. However...

The foot mission starts with you looking at the bad guy's car, so you know he must be inside. Well, I thought: what if I shoot out his tires now, before going in? So I do that.

I go in, fight some thugs, he runs to his car.

OH MY GOD! The game remembered I shot out his tires and so he hobbles away, I give a quick pursuit and suddenly, this mission which had been annoying me is now super easy.

I liked the consistency and the logical persistence of the world. The sequels dumbed this down too, but that first game... It might be the most internally persistent and logical game world I have ever witnessed across the entire history of games. Most games have magic gun reloading where your current amount is just topped up, most games the enemies have infinite ammo, and most games would just reset the condition of the enemy car before the chase. Not the original Mafia on PC.

I never played the console ports of the first game, just read hearsay. Can anyone confirm they removed the cool bits I mention above?

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, they are releasing Mafia Definitive Edition as a stand alone game, as well as the trilogy which includes all three for a slightly higher price. It just seems strange that anyone would want to buy the standalone game, when you can have all three in one... Might as well just have the one game release and save on some manufacturing costs...

What are the odds, the trilogy has the first game on the disc and then two download codes for the second and third game... Time will tell I guess.

Comment

Delayed till 25 September

Comment

Working...
                          X