Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Help I need a new PC" advise me please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Help I need a new PC" advise me please.

So my old PC of probably around 12 years old has finally died. Which means I am in the market to buy a new computer.

What I am after is a reasonable tower PC that I can use mainly as a media PC. Although I would like to connect my Kinect (Xbox One version) for webcam usage. So will need to pass the Kinect SDK checker. I don't game on PC as I have a PS4 Pro and a switch that adequately takes care of that.

I don't really want to spend more than around £400. What would be the best option. I am torn between getting something new or something second hand thats a couple of years older.

e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Optipl...ls?ie=UTF8&me=

or

Whats peoples advice around this now? Older higher spec for the time or New lower spec in comparison.

If there is a thread like this already I apologise, I couldn't find it in my search.

If I was looking at building a PC right now I'd be taking a look at the new Ryzen 3 3100 and 3100X chips although you're probably looking at about £500 with a GTX1650 GFX card. You could go with one of the Ryzen APUs which have the built in GFX chip if you're not planning on gaming which would fit with the budget (that PC is without an SSD though).

Ryzen represents way better price performance at the moment which is why I'd go that route over Intel - the Covid-19 stuff has unforunately pushed component prices up on the PC market.

Are you wanting a pre-built or will you build your own?

Comment

I'm looking at something pre-built. Its years since I tried to build a PC. Although I don't mind sourcing my own OS.

Comment

It's honestly not difficult to build your own PC these days given everything is pretty standardised. The hardest part is the front panel wires and even those have a standard layout on most motherboards (unless you're buying the cheapet hacked together chinese knockoffs).

There are plenty of build guides around on the web both sites and YouTube, I'd definitely suggest watching a few before you shell out the extra for a pre-built. Regardless, I'd still recommend a new Ryzen build over a 2nd hand Intel whatever route you go and if it's a media (non-gaming PC) the APUs with onboard GFX chips should be all you need.

Definitely doable on a £400 budget with an 256GB M.2 SSD and 1TB HDD https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CRvjQq
        Last edited by MartyG; 15-05-2020, 11:59.

Comment

I shall have a look at some videos over the weekend and have a think. Thanks for your assistance.

Comment

I built my own recently after Marty persuaded me to do it.
            It was time consuming, but I got there in the end.A few hours. It was fun and my son helped me so a learning thing for him.
            My main worry was putting the cooler on to the chip, but it was prepasted and just went straight on, although the mounting clips were very fiddly to hook on. The guy in the video made it look so easy

Everything else just slots on. Screw motherboard to case. Screw power supply to case. Plug power cables into motherboard. Plug case cables into motherboard - a little fiddly but the boards come with instructions on what goes where. Plug chip into motherboard - it will only go in one way. Clip fan to chip. Insert RAM (make sure it's pushed in solidly). If you have a separate gfx card (at your price, don't bother - use marty's integrated suggestion) insert that. Insert HDD and plug power supply cables into it and data cable to the motherboard. Turn on. Install OS.

If it was me though, the biggest gain in speed as a media pc will be by getting an M2 SSD instead of HDD. Lots of extra money, but it will fly.
            Last edited by charlesr; 15-05-2020, 13:20.

Comment

Tbf that Optiplex the OP put up seems completely fine for requirements.

Comment

The linked AMD PC doesn't make sense, it's listing a 3200G and an RX550 and no M.2. It doesn't need the RX550 with the 3200G and it'd be far better off dropping that in favour of a solid state drive instead. So it wouldn't be a machine I'd buy based on that, the Optiplex isn't a bad spec but it's ancient old 2nd hand 1150 socket 4770 from 2013 (4th Gen, we're now on 10th Gen Intel) with no upgrade path, which modern Ryzen (and new) would slay for a bit extra - might be slightly better GFX wise with the 1650, but for a media PC, it's not really needed other than for hardware x265 decode.

It's not a bad buy if you weren't interested in upgrading it in the future for the price though.
                Last edited by MartyG; 15-05-2020, 16:21.

Comment

You can actually do that. There is a customise option. I thought I had read though somewhere that it was better to add a graphics card to get more CPU performance.

Comment

For an RX550 it wouldn't be worthwhile, it's little more than an overpriced display card, and if you have a separate card, then an APU is a waste and you'd be better off getting a Ryzen 3100 or 3300X to match with a card (or even the Ryzen 5 1600 AF, the new 1600 version which is really a 2600 on the inside). It would be a small improvement in GFX performance, but I just don't think price performance wise it's worth pairing with a 3200G. My Kodi box runs on a ASRock AB350M mobo with a Ryzen 2200G, it's definitely fine on its own doing this job and Emulation Station stuff.

You can get RX480 4GB on the used market for £80ish (I got one for £60 a few months ago, although chances are it was a mining card at some point), that would then make a reasonable low end gaming rig, way better buy than an RX550.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 15-05-2020, 20:23.

Comment

My TV pc is a lightly clocked Athlon 200GE, I keep thinking I’ll upgrade the APU for a big boost, and never felt the need too. It’s. good setup for a cheap pc.

Comment

Working...
                      X