• Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 135: TimeSplitters

History in Games:
    2000 - TimeSplitters
    2002 - TimeSplitters 2
    2005 - TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

Overview:
    Born out of the ashes of Rare's team that was responsible for GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, the TimeSplitters series brought a similar form of gameplay with a focus on the multiplayer components to multi-platforms alongside the 128-bit generations debut. Each game did feature single player missions however and very quickly this marriage led to a sequel that saw chatter over the series increase again. The third game landed a few years later but things fell apart from there onward with only a failing to appear fan project sticking its head up now and again. Plans are currently underway for a very belated fourth game.

Which was the best of the trilogy and does the series still have a future?

Let's not forget that a few playable, remastered levels of TS2 exist within HOMEFRONT: THE REVOLUTION. Haven't checked em out yet but need to.

Comment

I absolutely loved TimeSplitters 2. I had it on the Cube and played the single player to death, playing the missions over and over to get faster times - to get the gold trophies and then the secret platinum ones, for which no target times were listed. I played it in three and player with friends, too. Bags of fun.

With the challenge levels, I actually beat a bunch of the times in a magazine. I think it was probably NGC. There were a few readers' top times listed in particular that I absolutely smashed, but my own self-developed technique of going through the level punching everyone in the back of the head rather than shooting them, which turned out to be a significantly faster way of beating it once you had the memorised the optimal route.

I took photos of my records on the TV screen, which I then had to get my Mum to get developed (yeah, we didn't have a digital camera), then posted them off to the magazine. Sadly, I then completely forgot about it so never bought the relevant issue I would've been featured in! D'oh! No idea if my times were the best or if they were featured, but I like to imagine they were

Comment

Ended up caning all three versions of TS2 back in the day, owned the PS2 version, borrowed the GC version, got the XB version new n sealed a year later for 99p. XB version the best, no borders, too!

Comment

Loved TS2, liked TSFP almost as much. The multiplayer definitely retained the fun aspect introduced with Goldeneye but at a decent frame rate!
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'm in the camp of this series being a swing and a miss for me. I never really played the MP where the core of the experience really lay so it's not a fair assessment but as single player experiences I found all three to be pretty awful.

Comment

Working...
            X