No announcement yet.

Canon-Strike IX: Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not know the entire run of TNG was released on laserdisc from 1991-1999. Some interesting covers.

The first Star Trek: The Next Generation LaserDiscs were released on on 11 October 1991. The last were released on 25 May 1999, nearly eight years later. Ninety total discs were released for the US market; "All Good Things..." was released twice, but no season box sets. Three themed box sets were released, though. Ten standalone discs were released for the UK, with an eleventh part of the European Star Trek - The Pilots box set. These were the feature length/two-part episodes, with the exception

Plus DS9 and Voyager

The Star Trek: Deep Space Nine LaserDiscs were released at the beginning of the end for the LaserDisc format. In the US, about two and a half seasons were released before LaserDisc was discontinued in North America. In Japan, five seasons were released in ten box sets, half a season each, before they were discontinued due to lack of sales. Production of DS9 Laserdiscs stopped in October 1999, in both the US and Japan. The UK only saw one standalone release, a disc containing "The Way of the Warr

Star Trek: Voyager was released on LaserDisc in the twilight of the format. "Caretaker" was released as part of the European box set Star Trek - The Pilots and the US Star Trek - The Captains Collection box set. In Germany, the next four episodes in season one were also released, retaining the numbering and cover art from the box set. The UK saw a second disc released with "Basics", continuing the precedent of releasing the two part episodes from Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Dee
    Last edited by CAPCOM; 23-06-2020, 23:12.

Comment

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
      Thanks to the success of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Roddenberry was able to scrap the plans for a sequel series to the original show and instead was able to revive ambitions to make the first movie in the franchise and the next piece of the chronological canon. Picking up several years after the events of the show, the film catches up to the USS Enterprise as it investigates messages from a mysterious source known as V'ger. The film is a key part in the franchises evolution but suffered on release due to its slow pace in a market eagerly anticipating something similar to Star Wars and it remains the sole movie that Roddenberry had creative control over.

Are you a fan of the original movie and other than its place as the first movie, how important do you hold it to the overall franchise?

Comment

I find it really odd that this is the movie they went with. Up until this point Star Trek had 3 series and although it had a cult following it wasn't exactly in the main stream culture. It has some nice visual effects but it's overly long I think and the story is a bit left field. Still it must have done well enough to launch everything that came after.

Comment

I'm not sure but I don't think it did well at all. I'm just not sure if my memory means critically or financially. But probably financially because its failure was enough for them to remove Roddenberry from the process and not let him near any of the other movies and, if I remember correctly (I really should check...), the budget for Star Trek II was dramatically slashed.

The Motion Picture is such an oddity and stands alone. It brings many ideas that were meant for the scrapped sequel series and is based around a story that was already told in the original series (Nomad) but brought none of the fun. It all got very straight-faced and, if I'm honest, it's a pretty boring movie. And yet, I have a love for it. It looks amazing. The shots and cinematography are incredible and it really looks expensive. Visually, it's so cinematic in a way that I think none of the other movies were. The next films that followed, as much as I love Star Trek II, look like TV episodes by comparison, especially The Search For Spock which must be the cheapest-looking Trek movie. The Motion Picture looks like they threw money at it to get it look so good. And as much as it failed, I bet they were glad to have it afterwards because they plucked models, shots and even music (Next Gen theme) from it for years.

I really like Kirk's admiral shirt too. So yeah, a boring movie and a real oddity but there is stuff to love.

Comment

A channel that has quite a few Star Trek retrospectives and commentaries is Oliver Harper's one. He recently made the 80s Last Action Heroes feature-length documentary. They are all really well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              I find it really odd that this is the movie they went with. Up until this point Star Trek had 3 series and although it had a cult following it wasn't exactly in the main stream culture. It has some nice visual effects but it's overly long I think and the story is a bit left field. Still it must have done well enough to launch everything that came after.
              Left field? Isn't the story basically a remake of one of the episodes? I forget which one.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                Left field? Isn't the story basically a remake of one of the episodes? I forget which one.
                The Changeling - season 2, episode 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  The Changeling - season 2, episode 3.
                  NEEEEEEEEEEEEERD

love ya DT, don't tell [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION]

Comment

Ha! I looked it up.

Honest.

Comment

Insurrextion uses lots of the tenets of "Who Watches the Watchers" for the basic premise as well.

A lot of the third season episode of TNG hold up really well actually, The Ensigns of Command, The Defector, A Matter of Perspective, Sins of the Father, Captain's Holiday, Hollow Pursuits, Tin Man, Yesterdays Enterprise, Sarek, Best of Both Worlds.

It is one of my favourite seasons overall due to its diversity and range, plus has many secondary level plots like The Survivors, Booby Trap and The Enemy then others that are equally worth watching. Lots of location work too.

Comment

I've set myself off thinking about that final episode of Star Trek: Picard and the more I think on it the more dumb the episode becomes

Comment

The last two episodes were really rushed and had a real stench of Abrams about them - just do a lot of stuff and hope nobody notices if it doesn't match anything else you've done up to that point. There's a lot of really silly stuff in those episodes and, for me, they definitely undermined the series although I enjoyed it as a whole.

Comment

Yeah, I feel like I drifted to the end as I'd enjoyed the overall arc but in hindsight (assuming I'm not missing something):

Seven deals with the sister Romulan meaning she was effectively just a nuisance in the end. A rogue droid just tried to kill everyone but hey-ho we'll leave them a whopping great big Borg cube to play with. We see both Data and Picard die which is the real good moment of the episode but then we will now follow a copy of Picard going forward which is oddly close to the Data/B4 aspect of Insurrection and a device I've never liked even though it makes little tangible difference.

On the flip side I'm really hoping the USS Enterprise-F rocks up at some point

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. It really bugged me that...

Picard couldn't get a single person in the Federation to help (like The Last Jedi) and then Riker just turns up with the entire fleet all somehow arriving at the same time (like Rise of Skywalker). And just as the Federation had feared, the synthetics were indeed going to try to bring about an apocalypse. But do the Federation hang around to make sure the situation is really under control? They do not. And in a sentence, it seems they then undid all laws restricting the beings who almost brought devastation. And yeah, the copy of Picard thing needed more time than it got due to the mess of implications it brings up. And it was funny that they cured that one thing but he didn't want them to fix anything else.

Lots of silliness and undoing of plot points. Still, I enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                I had no idea. I like the premise of it, but it's definitely an odd choice for the starting of a movie franchise.

Comment

Working...
                                X