Canon-Strike IX: Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    Chakotay is passable, but once again, never really shone. That spirit guide stuff is terrible television, I really hated that.
    Related point; I don't know the full story but I once read that his whole "native American" thing really offended people; apparently the Voyager production team paid for an expert consultant to make sure they could do it sympathetically, and the guy ended up being a quack/grifter who just made Chakotay into a stereotype.

Comment

I absolutely adored the Doctor in this, he was one of the lynchpins in keeping me watching it season after season. Despite not being able to really accurately tell you why I really liked Janeway as well, she wasn't painted in the same light as Kirk/Picard as a central figure and didn't have the messiah status of Sisko but despite how safe Voyager's passage often was she always came across like she would bust the balls of anyone who got in her way if needed, it's kind of hard to imagine Picard in the same situation.

Agree about the event episodes, they were always enjoyable and it was a bit sad that it never felt like the Borg arc in later years paid off. The third season of Enterprise was the closest we ever got to how Voyager should have panned out.

Side note, but Voyager has my favourite intro credits sequence.

And as for Ensign Kim, it was always true and summed the character up that they killed him off and replaced him with a copy and no-one in the crew cared.

Comment

Janeway bugged me due to the core writing inconsistency around her approach to the prime directive. When very little was at stake, Janeway could easily be talked into breaking the prime directive. Whenever there was an episode where breaking the prime directive might give them a chance to go home, she would get all stubborn about not breaking it. Used to bug the hell out of me.

Comment

That's because she's a wild card, probably how she ends up Picards superior in Nemesis

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            That's because she's a wild card, probably how she ends up Picards superior in Nemesis
            I loved that. I thought it was perfect; she was a problematic hero, so she gets "promoted out of harm's way"

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              I absolutely adored the Doctor in this, he was one of the lynchpins in keeping me watching it season after season. Despite not being able to really accurately tell you why I really liked Janeway as well, she wasn't painted in the same light as Kirk/Picard as a central figure and didn't have the messiah status of Sisko but despite how safe Voyager's passage often was she always came across like she would bust the balls of anyone who got in her way if needed, it's kind of hard to imagine Picard in the same situation.

Agree about the event episodes, they were always enjoyable and it was a bit sad that it never felt like the Borg arc in later years paid off. The third season of Enterprise was the closest we ever got to how Voyager should have panned out.

Side note, but Voyager has my favourite intro credits sequence.

And as for Ensign Kim, it was always true and summed the character up that they killed him off and replaced him with a copy and no-one in the crew cared.
              I can’t even remember that. Which episode was that?

I remember the Demon episode, and the Course Oblivion one. They felt quite bleak. There wasn’t enough of that. The concept of a crew coming from disparate and conflicting backgrounds, and finding common respect working as a team, is very Star Trek. It’s what the show is built on. I don’t have a problem with it. I do have a problem with that fact they became a cosy little crew far too quickly. Especially early days, the only flies in the ointment were Seska and the odd rebel like Michael Jonas.

Suder was a good creation. Brad Dourif is a solid actor.

Comment

Finding common respect and working as a team is absolutely Star Trek. Doing it in Starfleet uniforms with Starfleet hierarchy and working under Starfleet laws when you have spent the last few years fighting Starfleet and now are all the way across the galaxy where Starfleet has no relevance whatsoever just didn’t ring true to me at any point. It would be like me getting stuck on a boat with a Nazi so I put on a Nazi uniform and start goosestepping all around the boat. It’s a big boat.

Comment

Does that count as Godwin’s Law? It just might do, you know.

I get what you’re saying, but being 70,000 light years away from home isn’t really the same as being on a boat a few thousand miles from home. Also, Starfleet aren’t really seen as the equivalent of Nazis as far as I can remember.

It was a choice: adapt or piss off, and take your chances on your own. Sadly, there wasn’t enough exploration of this dilemma for the Marquis.

Comment

Being 70,000 light years from home makes it more likely that they see how irrelevant Starfleet is out there. As you say, there wasn’t enough exploration of this dilemma but, to me, that made it a wasted concept. For the most part, half the crew being Maquis had no bearing on the show.

Comment

Weirdly, the concept of an insurrection was briefly explored in an episode called Worst Case Scenario. It was throwaway and predictable. It could have formed the basis of a full season. Berman’s insistence on packaged storylines killed the split crew angle.

Comment

Yep. With DS9 running, it seems he just was aiming for another Next Gen but was somewhat at odds with the writers on that. Seems the show was also notable for the cast members being at odds. Some fairly massive rifts and bullying on set by all accounts.

Comment

Mulgrew hated Wad for some reason. She doesn’t come out of it smelling of roses, from what I understand.

Kes didn’t like it either, I think. Mind, the woman playing her got into some weird trouble at the law years later.

Comment

Can anyone find the speech by the doctor on the pilot version of The Cage, to the other captain?

Comment

I’m drawing a blank. Have you imagined it?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                                I can’t even remember that. Which episode was that?

I remember the Demon episode, and the Course Oblivion one. They felt quite bleak. There wasn’t enough of that. The concept of a crew coming from disparate and conflicting backgrounds, and finding common respect working as a team, is very Star Trek. It’s what the show is built on. I don’t have a problem with it. I do have a problem with that fact they became a cosy little crew far too quickly. Especially early days, the only flies in the ointment were Seska and the odd rebel like Michael Jonas.

Suder was a good creation. Brad Dourif is a solid actor.
                                Apparently it's an episode called Deadlock. Voyager is heavily damaged and a bit into the episode Kim is sucked out to space by a hull breach, a spacial anomaly causes a second Voyager to be created and during the course of the episode the two ships fight off some bad guys who kill most of the crew of the second Voyager leading the copy Janeway to self-destruct the ship. The second Kim stays aboard the original Voyager taking his predecessors place and the event of Kim being killed and replaced by his copy is pretty much joked off and never referenced again.

Comment

Working...
                                X