Canon-Strike IX: Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
    Can anyone find the speech by the doctor on the pilot version of The Cage, to the other captain?

This is a scene from the Star Trek pilot, "The Cage.' Doctor Boyce and Captain Pike have a conversation about the Captain's wanting to get away from it all. ...

It's just a guy on the internet speaking the parts but this is all I could find?

Comment

And finally, you don't need Lower Decks but we'll never get gold like this from Picard or Discovery

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        Apparently it's an episode called Deadlock. Voyager is heavily damaged and a bit into the episode Kim is sucked out to space by a hull breach, a spacial anomaly causes a second Voyager to be created and during the course of the episode the two ships fight off some bad guys who kill most of the crew of the second Voyager leading the copy Janeway to self-destruct the ship. The second Kim stays aboard the original Voyager taking his predecessors place and the event of Kim being killed and replaced by his copy is pretty much joked off and never referenced again.
        I’ll have to watch that lol.

Some of the worst episodes of Trek ever were in Voyager. There’s a Neelix/Naomi Wildman one called Once Upon A Time or something. I might have switched it off, it was so bad. I hated that Bride of Chaotica stuff too. And the episode about Paris and Janeway becoming lizards and having kids? What the hell was Brannon Braga on?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
          I’m drawing a blank. Have you imagined it?

How dare you. Lol

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHs6SqRAscY
            It's just a guy on the internet speaking the parts but this is all I could find?
            Thanks man that's the one .

Comment

Apparently it's an episode called Deadlock. Voyager is heavily damaged and a bit into the episode Kim is sucked out to space by a hull breach, a spacial anomaly causes a second Voyager to be created and during the course of the episode the two ships fight off some bad guys who kill most of the crew of the second Voyager leading the copy Janeway to self-destruct the ship. The second Kim stays aboard the original Voyager taking his predecessors place and the event of Kim being killed and replaced by his copy is pretty much joked off and never referenced again.
              To be fair, they did exactly the same thing to O'Brien in DS9

I’ll have to watch that lol.

Some of the worst episodes of Trek ever were in Voyager. There’s a Neelix/Naomi Wildman one called Once Upon A Time or something. I might have switched it off, it was so bad. I hated that Bride of Chaotica stuff too. And the episode about Paris and Janeway becoming lizards and having kids? What the hell was Brannon Braga on?
              I loved the Bride of Chaotica stuff! Captain Proton, all that. Similar to the above bit about the clipper-ship bit in Generations; I think I just love the holodeck more than I can objectively qualify. I even loved the DS9 episodes where Bashir was James Bond.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                To be fair, they did exactly the same thing to O'Brien in DS9
                Uhura has her memory completely wiped in TOS and never got it back and had to relearn everything from scratch, even childhood schoolwork, and was back on the bridge the next episode.

Asura: on the holodeck stuff, we’ll just have to agree that it’s all awful.

Comment

I always wondered why the Holodeck episodes were so popular! There’s very few of them I can tolerate - it always just felt like an excuse to arse around on a different set/location. Fair play to anyone who enjoys them.

I always found it hilarious that people thought that twenty somethings like Tom and Harry, decades away from home, with a limited number of wads on board, would use a suite to play with rayguns in a homage to cheesy tv series’. In reality, it would need the scutters working overtime with cloths and bleach.

Comment

wangledeck

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                      wangledeck
                      Riker knew how to use the holodeck.

Comment

Riker doesn’t need fake wads. He just waits until the next away mission before nailing some alien crumpet.

Comment

Riker doesn’t do waiting.

Comment

I always wondered why the Holodeck episodes were so popular! There’s very few of them I can tolerate - it always just felt like an excuse to arse around on a different set/location. Fair play to anyone who enjoys them.

I always found it hilarious that people thought that twenty somethings like Tom and Harry, decades away from home, with a limited number of wads on board, would use a suite to play with rayguns in a homage to cheesy tv series’. In reality, it would need the scutters working overtime with cloths and bleach.
                            Admittedly DS9, despite never overtly mentioning it, subtly hinted that this is what Quark's holosuites were really for.

Admittedly a lot of this comes from how I was really young when TNG started, and looking back, I think that's part of the reason. The Holodeck, to a kid who loved the limited videogames of the era, was something else. Like the very concept was absolutely mindblowing; not just the episodes themselves, or the games the cast play, but the way they have presence, in a multiplayer fashion, within that virtual world.

I also did martial arts as a kid and I remember loving the bit where Tasha Yar demonstrates how the holodeck can be used for combat training, by rezzing up a Judo partner and fighting him. It made me think that with the holodeck, soldiers in that world would potentially be extremely well-trained at close combat, because they can create an infinite number of opponents of gradually increasing difficulty, who they can fight without having to worry about hurting them. That made me think about the idea of videogames used to learn things that went beyond the typing tutors and maths "games" we actually had in the 80s.

There's actually a book called Hamlet on the Holodeck that I strongly recommend to people, about virtual reality as a concept, which defines the three virtual principles; immersion, presence and agency.

Comment

It wasn't really a Holodeck episode unless something went wrong and the safety protocols were disabled

Comment

It wasn't really a Holodeck episode unless something went wrong and the safety protocols were disabled
                                I loved Futurama's take on it.

"It's your virtual playground where nothing can hurt you. Except occasionally when there holograms become real."
                                "Well that probably won't happen this time."

Comment

Working...
                                X