Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll be nicely sorted by then.

Comment

MAME, finally. That was ****ing frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        MAME, finally. That was ****ing frustrating!
        Have you replaced the built in emulators with different versions?

Comment

Yes mate. Xmame which I wasted a ridiculous amount of time trying to get working was just an utter waste of time. Replaced it with Mame4all today. Have only had a chance to try a couple of games so far which ran fine, so can’t comment on how good the compatibility is yet.

Comment

Cheers for the tip I need to look into that.

Comment

I'm getting as bad as Yakumo here.

I saw Asura post about this little system and when I clicked the link it was £26 delivered with a discount they were offering, so realistically maybe £20 for the system? I just had to see if it was any good at the price, and my wife wanted it for playing Tetris and Super Mario World on the go. The thing is, you would expect it to be COMPLETELY useless at that price, but it's actually not! Ok, the emulation is a bit spotty, the plastics are cheap etc but the games I've tried have been perfectly playable. Tiny enough just to stick it in your pocket, will be interested to see what I can get running on it!

EDIT: Further play has shown that some of the emulation is AWFUL, yet it then surprises you by playing other games almost spot on. Despite its ups and downs I think it’s mental you can knock something like this out for £20. I’ll definitely at least be able to get a library of well running games on it for the other half. The ghosting of the screen would be what irked me most but I doubt Heather will even notice.
              Last edited by Colin; 24-09-2020, 22:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                I'm getting as bad as Yakumo here.

I saw Asura post about this little system and when I clicked the link it was £26 delivered with a discount they were offering, so realistically maybe £20 for the system? I just had to see if it was any good at the price, and my wife wanted it for playing Tetris and Super Mario World on the go. The thing is, you would expect it to be COMPLETELY useless at that price, but it's actually not! Ok, the emulation is a bit spotty, the plastics are cheap etc but the games I've tried have been perfectly playable. Tiny enough just to stick it in your pocket, will be interested to see what I can get running on it!

EDIT: Further play has shown that some of the emulation is AWFUL, yet it then surprises you by playing other games almost spot on. Despite its ups and downs I think it’s mental you can knock something like this out for £20. I’ll definitely at least be able to get a library of well running games on it for the other half. The ghosting of the screen would be what irked me most but I doubt Heather will even notice.
                Dude, you should have watched my review first . Oh well, at least it wasn't expensive.

Comment

No harm done, the games she wants to play run ok, and to be honest she doesn’t know them well enough to be bothered by the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    Dude, you should have watched my review first . Oh well, at least it wasn't expensive.
                    Honestly, we got ours and we love it!

It's <£30, and it runs the stuff we generally wanted it to run; like everything GBA I've thrown at it has been fine, apart from some of the awkward titles like Doom, and I doubt we would want to play that anyway. Like you said in your review, it's a great stocking-filler.

It does feel light and cheap - but the buttons are surprisingly good. That's obviously where the craftsmanship went, so someone's heart was clearly in the right place.

I would love it if ANBERNIC made their own version, with slightly better features/screen/emulation. I'd happily pay £80 for that. I've always loved the GBASP's handheld design.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Honestly, we got ours and we love it!

It's <£30, and it runs the stuff we generally wanted it to run; like everything GBA I've thrown at it has been fine, apart from some of the awkward titles like Doom, and I doubt we would want to play that anyway. Like you said in your review, it's a great stocking-filler.

It does feel light and cheap - but the buttons are surprisingly good. That's obviously where the craftsmanship went, so someone's heart was clearly in the right place.

I would love it if ANBERNIC made their own version, with slightly better features/screen/emulation. I'd happily pay £80 for that. I've always loved the GBASP's handheld design.
                      The buttons are good. I wouldn't fault those. Just the shell is cheap but yeah, that's okay because it's priced well.

Comment

Hello. I am always interested in Latest Tech News. When I found out on this (no) site about the Anbernic RG350 portable console, which will allow you to play games from game consoles that are now considered to be "retro", starting with the 8-bit Famicom and ending with the Sony Play Station. The console can run games from a dozen different consoles, as well as from various arcade machines and computers. And all this stuff can be played with analog buttons, joysticks - sticks, shifters, and other attributes of a real game console.
                        Last edited by Colin; 24-11-2020, 16:53.

Comment

Where can I order the white one from that does DS, PSP and Dreamcast support? It's like a retro Wii or PS5!

Comment

So having been lucky enough to receive an RG-350M from my other half for Christmas, I have spent the last couple of days faffing around with it and getting everything organised with a nicely curated selection of games and consoles, and running either the latest emulators or the most stable versions.

User Interface
                            Having done some research it seems that Simple Menu is the best for Anbernic devices by virtue of it having been designed for them. It may not look as pretty as EmulationStation, but currently the version of ES for these devices is more of a hack than an official port and therefore has some idiosyncracies/bugs that I wanted to avoid. Clean and simple was what I was after.

I had to go through a lot of trial and error making the bloody thing work (thanks to this guide) as it kept hanging. It turned out that the SD card that came with the unit stuffed with ROMs also had a "preview" subfolder in each ROM folder that contained screenshots of each game, and as SimpleMenu does not expect this folder to be there it was causing issues.

Once I finally got things working I whittled down the number of systems and kept them all in a single "consoles" section; SimpleMenu by default categorises different types of emulator or app into different sections (apps/games, arcade, handhelds, consoles etc). I wanted it to just launch into a single section with L and R to cycle through the systems without any parent categories. I reduced the number of systems drastically and took out games/apps entirely. On the odd occanasion I might want to play something that isn't in SimpleMenu, for instance SORR or the NGPC emulator, I can just exit out into the normal Anbernic UI and play stuff from there. Clean and simple was my mission objective.

So once I'd finally got everything set up I was happy with the results. The system boots straight into SimpleMenu and I just choose a console with the L and R buttons, pick a ROM and go from there. I managed to do everything via my Mac running FileZilla which is nice as it saved me from having to boot up my work laptop.

Emulators
                            As I said, I cut back on the number of emulators accessible via SimpleMenu to just those which I will regularly play (Gameboy, SNES, MegaDrive, Mega CD, 32X, PCE, PCE CD & Playstation). The ROM collections were cut back accordingly as well with no more than 100 games for the likes of the SNES and MD, and just a handful for the other systems. I discovered that the PlayStation emulator supports .pbp files which are great for multi-disc titles as it means having just a single entry in the game list for a multi-disc game. My OCD likes things like that so I spent quite a few hours sourcing .pbp versions of my favourite PlayStation games.

One thing I found is that there does not seem to be an up-to-date repository for all the emulators, so I ended up using this helpful guide that links to the latest version of each emulator. Some of these add significant improvements, for example the stock Picodrive had very poor performance with 32X titles but the later version ran 32X games perfectly, whilst others seemed more unstable such as PocketSNES which broke compatibility with Earthbound. The latter could just have been my ROM but either way, I reverted back to the stock version. One emulator which I was very pleased with updating was Gambatte as it added a new LCD 3x filter, exclusive to 'M' models with their 640x480 display, which now looks both incredibly authentic yet much clearer and brighter than any original hardware could hope to look.

HDMI out
                            Worked out of the box for me which, looking at this guide, I am most pleased about as upgrading the necessary firmware and fixes looks quite involved. SimpleMenu displays fine although the outer edge of the display is cropped off slightly. Using the emulators, most has scratchy audio which can apparently be fixed by setting the sample rate to 41khz. This did not fix it, although what I did notice was that PlayStation and Gameboy games had perfect audio. I also discovered that in the SNES emulation there is an option for 48khz which fixed the scratchy audio so until the others incorporate a 48khz mode, it looks like I can just play those three consoles through the TV.

I did enjoy having a blast on WipEout 2097 on the TV, a game that I haven't played since, erm, 1997, and aside from some gamma issues (had to rely on the blue trail to see where my ship was in some of the tunnels) it played absolutely fine.

Verdict
                            Overall I am extremely impressed by the RG-350M. It's been mentioned numerous times on this board about the fantastic build quality and amazing IPS screen, but what I like the most is after going through all the pain of setting it up like I have done for the last few days, the user experience is very good indeed. I can't buy into these Android devices where you are presented with an Android OS and have to select an emulator relevent to the console you want to play, and then select again from a ROM list. I have read that an official Retropie is in development for the RG-350 and once this drops I will be sure to jump on board for its more fancy looking UI, but for now SimpleMenu gives me the simple pick up and play dynamics that I want from a device like this.

Comment

Is the RG-350M the most recent / most powerful version of these?

Will it run Atomiswave / Naomi stuff?

Comment

Working...
                              X