No announcement yet.

ANBERNIC Gaming Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s looking like it’s going to be expensive for what’s no doubt going to be a flawed emu device.

Android doesn’t fill me with hope, mainly because of input latency concerns. Then we have to see how classic stuff is going to upscale on that screen. Oh wait, it’s not 4:3. Not a great start.

Comment

That's what annoys me, it'll effectively have intentional flaws to shill the M variant which will in turn have flaws to shill the subsequent variants. It's like Rockstars aversion to PC launches, it's obvious what they're doing

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        That’s looking like it’s going to be expensive for what’s no doubt going to be a flawed emu device.

Android doesn’t fill me with hope, mainly because of input latency concerns. Then we have to see how classic stuff is going to upscale on that screen. Oh wait, it’s not 4:3. Not a great start.
        I suspect the wider screen is because it'll have good PSP support. If it has really good PSP support there's a whole market of people who will likely snap one up.

Comment

It’s all compromises. More power means crappy Android OS and not a 4:3 screen. I still don’t understand why a RPi4 can handle excellent Dreamcast/N64 emulation yet no Linux based Chinese handheld can. Why can’t they just rip off the RPi4 chipset?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            It’s all compromises. More power means crappy Android OS and not a 4:3 screen. I still don’t understand why a RPi4 can handle excellent Dreamcast/N64 emulation yet no Linux based Chinese handheld can. Can they just rip off the RPi4 chipset?
            When you get to more powerful hardware, I think heat dissipation starts to become a concern, so the unit has to get larger for the heat to escape, have an active fan (=moving parts)... The Pi4 is fine because it's in a box on the far side of a room, and sits still, but I think a handheld might struggle with this.

The Switch works but it has a fan and is a bit larger.

Comment

I guess I didn’t think of that. I just assumed as the RPi range used ARM processors that it would be the same dissipation as mobile devices, but thinking on it you’re right as you can buy fans, heatsinks etc as accessories.

Okay then, why can’t Anbernic rip off the RPi4 in an M variant, using the metal case as a heatsink?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                using the metal case as a heatsink?
                Admittedly they already do this. The RG351M could get pretty hot when playing PS1 stuff in my experience. I'm not an engineer though, so I'm just spitballing based on my experience of other devices; for instance, thermal load is an issue with the Oculus headsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Admittedly they already do this. The RG351M could get pretty hot when playing PS1 stuff in my experience. I'm not an engineer though, so I'm just spitballing based on my experience of other devices; for instance, thermal load is an issue with the Oculus headsets.
                  Yeah I noticed the same with my 350M; PS1 games are great in the winter!

Comment

So apparently the spitball price of the RG552 is going to be somewhere between around £220-£250 which kind of makes the options a bit clearer. That's within halfway to the Deck's price which will absolutely blitz emulation for these systems. By the time the design kinks are ironed out would it be worth it?
                    That makes the RG351 a small form alternative given the pricing and that you're good until you push past PS1 and a few N64-DC games. On that basis it's tempting for convenience and then wait for the Deck to sort everything else out in its larger design form.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      So apparently the spitball price of the RG552 is going to be somewhere between around £220-£250 which kind of makes the options a bit clearer. That's within halfway to the Deck's price which will absolutely blitz emulation for these systems. By the time the design kinks are ironed out would it be worth it?
                      Admittedly I sold my RG351M to help pay for my Steam Deck.

I think if you're interested in the Deck at all, the smaller devices are probably better - otherwise you might end up having two devices that broadly do the same thing.

Comment

Damn you all

RG351MP on the way, should help ride me out till Deck and will be a nice addition to distract the kids in the car

Comment

After the new Elec update which do people generally suggest is better to go with Elec or ArkOS?

Comment

It's gone back up in price with my dithering/waiting to be paid, so I look forward to hearing what you think of it!

Comment

It's just arrived now in the post, I ordered the Ocean Blue version and haven't tried powering it up yet but it feels quite weighty and really good in hand. I'm immediately mindful of how the metal might scratch easily but the buttons feel good and it looks great. Really surprising how premium it feels despite the good feedback I'd read already being in my head.

Really need to hold tight and test it out now in the months pre-Deck. I've been eagerly hoovering up vids on the Powkiddy X18S as well given it is so powerful but it seems too rough around the edges and more a tease of the kinds of machines we'll see late 2022/2023.

Comment

Talking of Powkiddy, you got one of those mini arcades a while back. Do you still use that?

Comment

Working...
                                X