No announcement yet.

ANBERNIC Gaming Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once things reached the RG351 era of these devices they kind of their peak. The machines beyond it never seem to justify the compromises for the attempts at adding more power. The 351 kind of nailed everything from the 2D/PS1 era perspective and as soon as you scope beyond that it's as broad as long to get a Deck now and be covered for everything for donkeys years to come. My 351M has slipped into pretty much never being used now but I can't say I've ever seen one appeal since

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Once things reached the RG351 era of these devices they kind of their peak. The machines beyond it never seem to justify the compromises for the attempts at adding more power. The 351 kind of nailed everything from the 2D/PS1 era perspective and as soon as you scope beyond that it's as broad as long to get a Deck now and be covered for everything for donkeys years to come. My 351M has slipped into pretty much never being used now but I can't say I've ever seen one appeal since
      You're right. Honestly I really loved the 280v's form factor, even considering the Steam Deck, because it's so tiny yet usable. I only got rid because the one I received was badly manufactured, a few people on their Discord had the same problem, and I couldn't convince ANBERNIC to crack one open before sending it to be sure it wasn't faulty.

Comment

Yeah, the Miyoo Mini is tiny and doesn't loan itself to long play sessions, but it's perfect when you just want to dip in to a more arcadey game.

It's so damn pocketable, though. I've found myself popping it into my pocket and playing it when I get a couple of minutes.

Remember, a wise philosopher once wrote:

Comment

Agree with Samanosuke. I'm just about to order the RG353M and sell my 351MP. Fav form factor and the metal casing, weight, finish is brilliant.

Comment

That's it, I really love the metal casing and form factor of the 351M so once you've found 'the one' for you you're effectively set. It's really hard to justify another machine from the chinese makers after that because you're reintroducing too many unnecessary compromises.

Comment

There's a new one out each month, it feels like, so you have to jump on at some point.
              Once you've decided on the form-factor, size, price and performance, just get the one that's appealing to you the most.

I love the look of the Anbernic devices, but realised the Miyoo would be more likely to leave the house with me.
              I even bought one that came with a screen protector as I knew I'd be pocketing it without the case some days.

I popped into the Steam Deck thread and had to laugh because it's supposed to be portable, but there's an argument to get more peripherals, negating the already limited portability...

Comment

Portability is definitely the Deck's biggest issue. I'm taking it with me tomorrow morning and its case keeps it safe but it's like having a mini-briefcase with you. It could go in a more standard bag but no matter the approach you're having to actively plan around it being with you rather than be something you can just pop out your pocket at any moment

Comment

Comment

Cheers for the input, peeps.

I just pulled the trigger on a grey RG353V cos I had a bunch of points which brought the price down to a paltry ¥3000(£20). It’s on Amazon Prime so I have until the end of January to return it if there are any serious issues.

QC’s Miyoo Mini talk is making me think about maybe getting a pocket-sized handheld for occasional emergency gaming but one step at a time

Comment

The Miyoo Mini definitely does something else by being so damn portable.
                      I think having a couple of handhelds isn't an issue, especially if you have them for different reasons.

Playing Double Dragon and Rolling Thunder on the MM, I had a couple of silly deaths like not ducking under a bullet or walking off a ledge. Not really a fault of the MM, but they're games designed for the arcade and there's something about a joystick to control the character that seems to give a more accurate response.

I'm looking at one of those PowKiddy suitcase systems which has a removeable joystick (for storage), a bigger screen and can be connected to a telly. All brilliant, but not something I'd want to carry around with me!

Have fun, RandomBS!

Comment

Yeah, admittedly with the Steam Deck, it's not in the same class as these as it's not really mobile, just portable. I only really take mine on long train journeys or similar.

Comment

It's amazing to have so much choice.
                          It's great to be a gamer these days!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Yeah, admittedly with the Steam Deck, it's not in the same class as these as it's not really mobile, just portable. I only really take mine on long train journeys or similar.
                            I have an 11 hour plane journey on Sunday and I will be so, so glad for my Steam Deck. It sucks that the battery life is so poor (but planes can charge now) but it's still wonderful to have games like this on the go. Adding a smaller retro handheld into the mix would be very attractive to me too.

Comment

We got a Miyoo Mini for our son, which has been great so far. If he accidentally drops it or anything it's no biggie.

I'm starting him off on a handful of 8-bit games, and once he completes one he gets to add another game.

I've also been teaching him some basic modding skills. He really enjoyed putting the MiSTer together, but that was a while ago now. So far he replaced the buttons, and then I showed him how to precisely apply decals with tweezers. Next we're switching out the shoulder buttons, because he has actually been complaining about them. xD

I bought some black buttons for myself, as well as a leather pouch, for when I too get one - but now I'm looking at 353V/353Ms instead. :/ I want a few of them really.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                I have an 11 hour plane journey on Sunday and I will be so, so glad for my Steam Deck. It sucks that the battery life is so poor (but planes can charge now) but it's still wonderful to have games like this on the go. Adding a smaller retro handheld into the mix would be very attractive to me too.
                                Oh what's that, year just casually play God of War on the plane, technology is amazing nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                                X