Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    https://obscurehandhelds.com/2021/02...lds/#more-8474
    Not a new update but it looks like the incoming Powkiddy X18S might be the first sign of the next wave, the Sonic Love channel has been doing some experiments to see what it might be capable of

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh7...XpUaeTA/videos
    I like the clamshell approach. I really want ANBERNIC to do their take on PowKiddy's GBASP clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      https://obscurehandhelds.com/2021/02...lds/#more-8474
      Not a new update but it looks like the incoming Powkiddy X18S might be the first sign of the next wave, the Sonic Love channel has been doing some experiments to see what it might be capable of

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh7...XpUaeTA/videos
      I had a look at a video with GC emulation and the immediate turn-off for me was that it uses an Android OS. I’m used to the ease and cleanliness of SimpleMenu on my RG350-M and the Retroarch front ends in the OGA clones look like an evolution beyond this. Having to deal with a clunky Android interface and seeing those touch controls being displayed on the screen of that Powkiddy is not worth the upside in power IMO.

What we really need is a new Linux handheld with a 4:3 screen and power similar to the Android units on the market.

Comment

It seems like they're increasingly moving in the direction of Android, I assume it's a cost/parts/performance thing given the competition to deliver improvements each year

Comment

I won’t move from my RG 350M until there’s a gen that can fully deal with everything up to DC, all of the tiny incremental improvements some of these systems make are no temptation. (Not that this is one!) Ideally I’d have a Pi and Anbernic device both at the same level for home mobile gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            I won’t move from my RG 350M until there’s a gen that can fully deal with everything up to DC, all of the tiny incremental improvements some of these systems make are no temptation. (Not that this is one!) Ideally I’d have a Pi and Anbernic device both at the same level for home mobile gaming.
            +1

And not an Android box!

Comment

So what are the best handheld emulation solutions or there? Anything do Saturn etc?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                So what are the best handheld emulation solutions or there? Anything do Saturn etc?
                For Saturn, no. There are devices that can run the games to varying degrees bit it's more a curiosity.

The only devices that can run them well are a higher tier, like more akin to the power of a gaming laptop.

Comment

Saturn not quite there and probably never will be, but Dreamcast emulation is looking better optimised now:

Now I’m wondering if I should’ve forsaken the lovely 4:3 display on the RG350M and gone for the RG351M instead. It was that 3:2 screen that put me off...

Comment

Nope; not for me. That Dreamcast gameplay is still intolerably jerky for my eyes.

One thing I've observed is that the community really wants these things to work, and really, they give some of them a pass when really they're a fail. They're great for an enthusiast but seeing Soul Calibur dip in FPS during some of the VFX just wrecks it for me; the original is silky-smooth and that was one of the best things about it.

Comment

NES gaming on a super slim device that could sit in a shirt pocket and nobody would know.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                        NES gaming on a super slim device that could sit in a shirt pocket and nobody would know.
                        Apparently this was previously inset into an iPhone case, and they realised they could sell it on its own

Comment

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago. Screen tears, the standard 500 NES games… well worth it!!!

Comment

Retroarch and firmware release for all RG350 Consoles. He even demos a Mario 64 Port:

Comment

Yep, it does play Saturn. How well is another thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                Yep, it does play Saturn. How well is another thing.

Nice video

While the 351 family is great for its PS1 performance and a few others, I think the biggest selling point for most people is the GBA; the screen res and ratio allows it to display GBA at 2x nearest-neighbour scaling, and it's so close to the GBA's screen ratio that it just looks fantastic.

I accept that the widescreen ratio doesn't suit the SNES/Genesis quite so well, but honestly I find myself playing GBA on these machines far more than most, and also, that quirk of the 350/351's NGPC emulator and screen res means that the NGPC looks much better on this machine too.

Comment

Working...
                                X