No announcement yet.

ANBERNIC Gaming Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My RG350M has just arrived. I ordered it from the link provided in Yakumo’s video about a week ago. Looks like it was shipped from a warehouse in England so no customs fees.
    First impressions are very good. It feels quite sturdy and the screen is surprisingly sharp and clear in motion. Only tried a couple of games so far, Tatsujin II and Ketsui, both ran fine and in tate orientation.
    I’m going to have some fun with this.

Last edited by CMcK; 18-06-2020, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      My RG350M has just arrived. I ordered it from the link provided in Yakumo’s video about a week ago. Looks like it was shipped from a warehouse in England so no customs fees.
      First impressions are very good. It feels quite sturdy and the screen is surprisingly sharp and clear in motion. Only tried a couple of games so far, Tatsujin II and Ketsui, both ran fine and in tate orientation.
      I’m going to have some fun with this.
      Couple of tips, CMcK, from someone who just got theirs:

• You can adjust the screen brightness by holding the power and pressing the volume buttons. The very lowest brightness will actually turn the screen off; the machine unfortunately doesn't have a proper "sleep" function but this works pretty well
      • The machine will run Master System and Game Gear games; you just do this with either of the Megadrive emulators
      • There are 2 MD emulators because Picodrive gives better quality, while the other is faster; generally the non-Picodrive one is the one to go with unless you have a problem
      • The PS1 emulator will run poorly out of the box. You need to download the 7001 firmware and use that via the menu; after that, the machine will run something as intensive as Metal Gear Solid really well
      • The machine doesn't like "superfast" USB chargers; you should use ordinary ones. For instance, mine doesn't like my Oculus Quest charger.
      • It helps for each emu to make a "Favourites" folder under the rom folders, and copy some games to that. There are literally hundreds, and they're not in alphabetical order (!)

Comment

Thanks for the tips Asura. I’ll get onto doing the firmware update as soon as I can. As long as it doesn’t need a ‘doze computer as mine are packed away.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          Thanks for the tips Asura. I’ll get onto doing the firmware update as soon as I can. As long as it doesn’t need a ‘doze computer as mine are packed away.
          I haven't updated mine; I wouldn't use the HDMI-out for anything so right now, I've no reason to, unless something else comes up.

Comment

Erm does Anberic even have a website? I can’t seem to find it! The build on my unit is 27th of May so I guess that’s quite up to date. I see there is a junior version on the way which will likely be cheaper too. But for £90 and no customs fees I’m quite happy with the current model.

Comment

So this is a super cool mod to cover that disgusting ANBERIC logo. I’d be tempted myself but I just bought a GPD XD Plus..

Shop items by SakuraRetroModding located in Bastia, France. Speedy replies! Has a history of replying to messages quickly. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher.
              Last edited by SuperDanX; 11-07-2020, 12:31.

Comment

Is there likely to be an affordable more powerful version out soon to counter stuff like the RK2020?

Anbernic seem to have nailed the level of polish but the many chinese devices have been circling emulation of the same systems for a very long time and it's much more the N64-DC-GC generations on the go where the appeal lies for me which is perpetually out of reach. Everything I've watched and read suggests the RK heavily closes in on that dream for a very cheap price but the emulation and build quality isn't strong enough to click Buy on it as much as the purple looks lurvely.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  Is there likely to be an affordable more powerful version out soon to counter stuff like the RK2020?

Anbernic seem to have nailed the level of polish but the many chinese devices have been circling emulation of the same systems for a very long time and it's much more the N64-DC-GC generations on the go where the appeal lies for me which is perpetually out of reach. Everything I've watched and read suggests the RK heavily closes in on that dream for a very cheap price but the emulation and build quality isn't strong enough to click Buy on it as much as the purple looks lurvely.
                  I've just reviewed the RK2020. It's a nice system. The video is currently for Patreon subscribers only but will go live later this week.
                  I liked the system. Played many systems well including Dreamcast. It has issues with N64 though.

Comment

I've watched loads of vids on it, seems odd it struggles with N64 so much and the latest firmware seems to aggravate the issue. Saw some footage where the system just cuts out completely with some stuff too. Given it's a knock off Odroid I'm doubtful there'll soon be a big revision of it as well.

Comment

It surprises me people would really want to play Dreamcast games on-the-go. Like I'm not criticising really; this is totally subjective.

Something about SNES/MD games etc. makes them ideal for being played portably on a small screen, for me, at least. My RG-350M plays PS1 really well but I'm not sure I'll really play that.

Comment

DC feels like it'd be perfect, so many short form arcade titles on the go. As much as the SNES and MD were great I feel I've run out of need of ways to play their catalogues. If anything, it all raises how depressingly absent Virtual Console is on Switch.

Comment

Love my RG350. Runs all the PS1 games I need seemingly perfectly. I have a load of Mame content too.

I'm running the stock firmware and I'm wondering if there are any new versions or different firmwares I might be missing out on?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            It surprises me people would really want to play Dreamcast games on-the-go. Like I'm not criticising really; this is totally subjective.

Something about SNES/MD games etc. makes them ideal for being played portably on a small screen, for me, at least. My RG-350M plays PS1 really well but I'm not sure I'll really play that.
                            I largely agree; the most important consoles I’d want to run on a handheld would be from the 16-bit era. But a part of me can’t stop thinking how great it’d be to be able to play Shenmue on the sh*tter.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              I've just reviewed the RK2020. It's a nice system. The video is currently for Patreon subscribers only but will go live later this week.
                              I liked the system. Played many systems well including Dreamcast. It has issues with N64 though.
                              My favourite bit was where you peeled off the screen protector label and went "Oooh yeah!"

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                My favourite bit was where you peeled off the screen protector label and went "Oooh yeah!"
                                Lol, I don't know why I said that.

Comment

Working...
                                X