No announcement yet.

Sega announces the game gear micro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega being absolutely useless as usual. Really made me laugh when i saw this news.

Aprils gone Sega, do they know?

Comment

3 hour battery life from AAA batteries . How could they have gotten it so wrong

Comment

I'm not saying people should love it unquestioningly, but I do find it very strange how many people are criticising it based on its viability as a go-to handheld system, expecting that it should somehow be a market competitive, industry leading handheld for the ages. I think you might have higher hopes for this than Sega do themselves! It's clearly a novelty, collectable little thing. I doubt it's been through thousands of iterations to ensure that it's the cutting edge device that leads Sega out of the dark ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
          3 hour battery life from AAA batteries . How could they have gotten it so wrong
          Tripling the battery life of the original unit.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            I'm not saying people should love it unquestioningly, but I do find it very strange how many people are criticising it based on its viability as a go-to handheld system, expecting that it should somehow be a market competitive, industry leading handheld for the ages. I think you might have higher hopes for this than Sega do themselves! It's clearly a novelty, collectable little thing. I doubt it's been through thousands of iterations to ensure that it's the cutting edge device that leads Sega out of the dark ages.
            sega fans are a weird bunch it's just something fun, chill out a little. Sega see it as that something quirky & fun to release to celebrate an anniversairy they didn't say they were releasing a new console lol, same way they just released the expansions to go with the md mini they serve no other reason than just been silly fun stuff to buy.

Christ i'm not even a huge sega fan and even i can see the fun in this thing. at 30 ish quid it's a little pricy but thats down to the crap exchange rate at the moment more than anything.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. It's just a collectible toy, like a figurine. It's pretty cool that it's properly playable, to be honest.

EDIT: OK just realised I think I've posted this same thing like four times in this thread now. I appear to be going senile, apologies.

Comment

Considering sega has said nothing about it getting released outside Japan it's not gonna be buyable anyway unless you import. Seems they are even more salty on neo about this thing lol.

Comment

I don't have an opinion on this release, but I'm not sure that 'SEGA' fans are behaving that differently from other fandoms. In that I'm not sure you can ever find a Nintendo, SNK, Sony, NEC etc. fan that thinks said company isn't making the most of their respective IP or products (although a modern SEGA cutting-edge machine my be a step too far). To me it's just human behaviour and passion on show.
                  Last edited by Digfox; 04-06-2020, 12:12.

Comment

The collectors box with all four of em for me. Pre-ordered from Rakuten - prefer Amazon but the scalping scum got there first.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                      The collectors box with all four of em for me. Pre-ordered from Rakuten - prefer Amazon but the scalping scum got there first.
                      how does rakuten books work?

I was tempted by the box set of 4 with the pin badges. I created an account for rakuten books and added in my tenso address to the registration. I put the preorder in the order went straight through. I didn't get an option to pay for it, how do they take payment?? i'm only used to how amazon japan works so i have no idea how to pay.

I got nervous and managed to find the order cancel button but it's a bit scary when it's all in Japanese especially when it's that kind of money involved. Seems that box set is exclusive to rakuten too theres another box set with 5 game gears with the 5th been a clear smoke version thats a non working mockup and that ones exclusive to the sega store.
                      Last edited by importaku; 04-06-2020, 13:32.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        sega fans are a weird bunch it's just something fun, chill out a little. Sega see it as that something quirky & fun to release to celebrate an anniversairy they didn't say they were releasing a new console lol, same way they just released the expansions to go with the md mini they serve no other reason than just been silly fun stuff to buy.
                        I'm a Sega fan and I have to agree with this, the Sega lot can be very cynical over something that's just meant to be a bit of a laugh and not a very serious item. I guess some of it comes down to absolutely years of fairly lousy treatment (especially in the west), but I've seen people on the Internet getting way too angry about something that's clearly just meant to be a gimmicky item for collectors to have a laugh about, just like those tiny little arcade cabinets they sell in Game. Nobody's meant to really play it, you're just meant to tinker about on it for 15 minutes and show it to your friends as a bit of a talking point. Sega have the same size hands as everyone else, they know full well it's not practical and I doubt they've paid much attention to things like the quality of the emulation and frame lag and what-not as it's not going to really matter.

The optimist in me thinks they might be using it as a way to gauge whether there's enough interest in the Game Gear itself to justify doing something bigger later - I'd love a more fully-featured and slightly smaller one with a modern screen and maybe a HDMI out. Lends itself well to further silly gimmick items too, they could do a TV Tuner Attachment that plays all the old FMVs from past games or something. Or do a Master Gear attachment with a couple of dozen Master System games on it.

Comment

I'm a SEGA fan and one can see it exactly for what it is . A novelty item that one will use for about 5 mins

It's not serious and a bit of fun . Only SEGA die hards would even try and get the full set anyway . I do like that watch mine ...

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            how does rakuten books work?

I was tempted by the box set of 4 with the pin badges. I created an account for rakuten books and added in my tenso address to the registration. I put the preorder in the order went straight through. I didn't get an option to pay for it, how do they take payment?? i'm only used to how amazon japan works so i have no idea how to pay.

I got nervous and managed to find the order cancel button but it's a bit scary when it's all in Japanese especially when it's that kind of money involved. Seems that box set is exclusive to rakuten too theres another box set with 5 game gears with the 5th been a clear smoke version thats a non working mockup and that ones exclusive to the sega store.
                            I did it on my phone, and nicely the site immediately switched to English.

Payment options were credit card, COD, or pay at convenience store. I've never used it before, so I haven't paid attention but I think I can remember seeing prepaid cards in the convenience stores.

Mine is COD.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                              Or do a Master Gear attachment with a couple of dozen Master System games on it.
                              These only have four games each, so I think a couple of games is more likely. They might go all out piss take and just have Alex Kidd.

Presumably the Master Gear was never released in Japan, so I think it's very unlikely. I'd get one.

Comment

I'm not going to go through 8 pages to see if anyone's written 'LAME Gear', nope. GG Shinobi was great on the original, not sure if aged well.

Comment

Working...
                                X