User Tag List

[NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

It's Xenoblade Chronicles running on Switch.
    Thread done.

OK, let's go a bit deeper...
    Technically the game just looks almost exactly as XC2, if you've played it, you'll clearly recognize the dynamic resolution, blurring of effects, even colour saturation and how the game manages brightness and time of day. The game data streams beautifully from location to location with no loading screens if you walk around, with loading screens only showing up when skipping to distant places.
    Textures applied to cliffs and large terrain features don't look particularly good up close, and there's just a very, very, very subtle depth of field effect applied to very, very, very, distant objects; bushes and blades of grass fade in as you move forward, in, again, the same way XC2 managed things. There are no immediate pop ups or things that become more and more detailed as you close onto them, but the resolution does take a hit with too many things on screen.

Artistically the game isn't as colourful as XCX or XC2, and the new character models have been modified to look a bit more "anime-ish" than the original art: Shulk and Fiora are the primary culprits, with other characters closer to the originals. Probably this was done to make things more appealing to a wider audience, but I would have preferred models more resembling the original drawings. But at the very least, characters aren't wooden boards as they were in XCX and emote properly to what's thrown at them.
    Well, kinda, you can see that corners had to be cut: basic animations are shared between characters, and the walking/running cycles retain a peculiar jankiness. It's like Trials Of Mana: yes, the game has been remade, but to get this done they had to cut something.

I actually don't remember much about the original Xenoblade Chronicles, but from what I do, the game's mechanics remain the same: you have a lot of equipment, and that equipment has slots for further effects. You also collect a ton of things, and while menus are decent enough, I really hope you like comparing numbers. Personally I've settled in running through equipment every time I reach a new village/location.

Strolling around the vast environments of XC is still a pleasure, there's an almost hypnotic quality in going anywhere but where the next story marker in, peeking at massive monsters way above your current level, while collecting all sorts of things. Combat happens much less frequently than in XCX or XC2, and it's easy to rack up levels to have an easy time against everyone but unique monsters: for example I completed all sidequests in the starting location before setting off the story events that will push the party out of it, and all monsters around story areas have been at least a couple of levels below me.
    I think the game also adjusts the level of new party members to your characters, which is always nice.

Can you turn the music off? I stopped playing on the WiiU because the music was doing my head in and couldn’t be turned off (or down).

There's no singing in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Can you turn the music off? I stopped playing on the WiiU because the music was doing my head in and couldn’t be turned off (or down).
    You can mute it, yes, but as Kryss said there's no BGMs with lyrics here.

Iirc it was a rock guitar soundtrack that was just continuous. Was a while ago now. Just remembered I sold my switch lol so my question was pointless. Enjoy!

We're all assuming Brad means XCX, right? The music in that was often pretty obnoxious from what I remember.

I've bought this game twice already and the furthest I managed was about 5 hours into the N3DS version. Think I may hold off on the three-peat non-complete, but if it drops in price (unlikely I know) maybe I'll give it another shot. That it sounds like a low-effort port doesn't exactly set my loins ablaze, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I've bought this game twice already and the furthest I managed was about 5 hours into the N3DS version. Think I may hold off on the three-peat non-complete, but if it drops in price (unlikely I know) maybe I'll give it another shot. That it sounds like a low-effort port doesn't exactly set my loins ablaze, for sure.
    Nah, you sound like me. This is my third time around. In my defence, after not getting far on the Wii or 3DS, I absolutely loved XC2. Couldn't put it down. So I thought I'd give it one more swing.

Finally packed this in today; a friend is going to buy it off me for most of what I paid for it.

I don't know what it is. I got about 14 hours in this time, so it isn't for lack of trying. I love the massive scale of it; like I love how they really sell the idea of the world being on this gigantic creature...

... but I dunno; the characters really just don't grab me. I don't find Shulk an engaging protagonist at all. I don't think there's anyone in the cast with the memorable engagements of, for example, Nia in Xenoblade 2. I think, in part, it's because all of the characters in XC2 had some kind arc which was teased early on; how Nia ended up working for the people with whom you met her, who Pyra really is, loads of stuff like that, but I just find characters like Reyn to be kinda flat.

I got to the Nopon Village part of the game and when it was time to move on, I genuinely sighed because I knew I was going to have to do a ton more fighting and levelling to get to the next bit of the plot, and just decided it's not worth it.

I don't know much about the story, but I think that...

the way the Monado can't hurt the faced Mechon... It's meant to be "mysterious", but it's clearly that they're part human, and it's so obvious that Shulk feels like a frustrating idiot for not working it out. He's been studying the sword his entire life! I've known about it for <14 hours!

I'd go so far as to guess that the Mechon were defeated in the past by the Monado, and this is all part of their plan to find a way to defeat it.

So yeah... If I ever see it for a fiver, I might come back to it. But right now, I can sell it for top dollar so it's going.