Random nostalgic game thoughts thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random nostalgic game thoughts thread

Post in here when you get the warm fuzzies thinking about an old-ish game you started thinking about or suddenly got the urge to play.

I've just been playing Jumping Flash on PS1.

I was telling my kids about renting games from Blockbuster Video and they couldn't fathom my words

Jumping Flash was an early PS1 game I never really felt like taking the plunge on as I wasn't too sure about it, but the art style really interested me. I was willing to rent it out though. Well, what a great game it was. Jumping around collecting jetpods (big carrots basically), think orb addiction jumping in Crackdown (okay maybe not). Playing it now, you feel like dual stick control for strafing and looking would be a must, but with a little time you start getting the hang of it. The jumping is the best bit here. A triple jump mechanic and on the second and third jump the camera automatically has you looking below you. It's ace.

I think I need to check out the sequel soon.
    Last edited by hudson; 11-06-2020, 16:09.

I had 2 on PAL, it was pretty much the same as the first (ie. great) but with a bit more colour and polish to it. But only a bit more.

My current, random warm fuzzy is playing PROJECT OVERKILL all through Xmas 1996. Repetitious, solid, bloody fun. Nobody ever talks about it at all these days!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
      I had 2 on PAL, it was pretty much the same as the first (ie. great) but with a bit more colour and polish to it. But only a bit more.

My current, random warm fuzzy is playing PROJECT OVERKILL all through Xmas 1996. Repetitious, solid, bloody fun. Nobody ever talks about it at all these days!
      Oooh isometric goodness!

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post

Jumping Flash was an early PS1 game I never really felt like taking the plunge on as I wasn't too sure about it, but the art style really interested me. I was willing to rent it out though. Well, what a great game it was. Jumping around collecting jetpods (big carrots basically),
        Yeah, an early gem for the PS1. I thought it was an attractive, really gripping game. The overall design had the sort of Japanese flair that really appeals to me.

A similar game is 'Crusader: No Remorse', which was a popular PC game ported to 32-bit consoles.

I suppose you could say Loaded is also the same sort of game.

Comment

^oh, deffo about Crusader, I had that on Saturn and it was basically the same as PROJECT OVERKILL (but *slightly* different in look) and I luuuuuuuurved that, too!!!!!

Next thing that reminded me of those (in a different, RPG-y way) was RECORD OF LODOSS WAR on DC. Massively mindless isometric madness. Each mentioned is superb fun!!!

Comment

^oh, deffo about Crusader, I had that on Saturn and it was basically the same as PROJECT OVERKILL
            I remember seeing Crusader for the PC, but I wanted 3D action games to show off my Pentium PC.

Although I did have an isometric adventure game called 'Little Big Adventure', which was pretty good. It also got ported to the PS1.

Comment

Working...
            X