BIOS errors and power socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIOS errors and power socket

Sorry again for all these questions, I'll send some cash to the site for all your time if needed.

1 - I left a PC or 2 in storage and they give BIOS checksum errors even after replacing batteries and resetting all options. The second comes on then switches off after 20 seconds with no indication of problem.

Also an old laptop, the power socket seems to have fallen apart, I don't know if it's the pin but there is no place it could be at all, are they hard or expensive to fix?

2 - Any advice is appreciated.

Have you saved the bios settings again after changing battery? Also what laptop is it? You may be able to get a replacement socket. On some the socket is on a separate little board.

Comment

I saved bios settings several times but no luck.

The laptop is an old Dell one I keep lying around for convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
        I saved bios settings several times but no luck.

The laptop is an old Dell one I keep lying around for convenience.
        Dells are great to repair, you might be lucky. Any bios updates for that motherboard?

Comment

Thanks man, never looked for updates.

You know the second machine I mentioned, boots into bios, 2 minutes later it's dead. Even with just the mobo connected. How the hell do I diagnose that crap?

Comment

Any dodgy caps? Any loose screws etc on mobo?

Comment

I haven't looked properly but when I did glance there was nothing obvious.

I guess humidity or whatever they'd say but how can just leaving something kill it. Sounds backwards but happens.

Comment

Working...
              X