Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info.

Comment

For anyone not wanting to wait... I’m playing the ps3 original game on the RPCS3 emulator at 2k resolution and 60fps. It looks ridiculously awesome. No sign of lag; I riposted the first dozen enemies including two blue eyed knights. That’s a pretty good sign I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        For anyone not wanting to wait... I’m playing the ps3 original game on the RPCS3 emulator at 2k resolution and 60fps. It looks ridiculously awesome. No sign of lag; I riposted the first dozen enemies including two blue eyed knights. That’s a pretty good sign I think.
        That'll probably be the preferred way to play it moving forward for some, as the remake looks quite markedly different.

I'm really looking forward to playing this but, as someone who's never played DS, I'm aware it's going to be a bit of a Twin Snakes and not quite the authentic original.

Still really excited for it though. The only Soulsborne I've played is Dark Souls III for some reason, but I absolutely adored it. No idea why I haven't played more in the series!

Comment

Wakka its not going to be anything like twin snakes situation.

Comment

Wakka, play the other games. Do it!

Comment

From what I can gather Demon's Souls will be a more extensive deviation from the original than Twin Snakes was.

Comment

Bluepoint have been really faithful to the originals in their remakes/remasters. I'm actually worried Demon's will be too faithful, just like Shadow of the Collossus was, as there are a lot of things in Demon's that aren't that great tbh. If some graphical style differences in the trailer show that BP are willing to do things a little differently this time, I'm all for it.

Comment

They've commented in the past via era that the project involves the most original work they've ever undertaken and it's being pushed by Sony as a reimagining of the original game rather than a remake. I'm all for it to be honest, I don't think a relatively straightforward remake would get the numbers Sony would want to justify it in a post Dark Souls world. Reworking the game as something much more updated and digestible than the Dark series though could see Demon's be a big hitter and kicks start a rival franchise with greater accessibility and polish (presumably why we're not getting Bloodborne II as well as it keeps everything in house moving forward)

Comment

This desperately needs to be a complete re-imagining. A plodding take for take retread would be a huge mistake.

Comment

Really good NoClip video going into detail with the Bluepoint team about how this came about, its development and the changes that they made. I think to their credit, they had to take artistic license more than I'd realised.

Comment

They made a valiant effort, but they dropped the ball in a couple of key areas IMO. The worst being the character creator. They made a big fanfare about it at the time, but in reality they reduced the number of sliders and reduced the value range of the sliders. It became impossible to make anything that didn't look like a generic 2020 videogame character. So much for allowing creativity. Things like that indicated a critical misunderstanding of what FromSoft are all about. It represents a kind of obscene arrogance - "we know better than FromSoft". No, Bluepoint, you don't know better than one of the greatest game developers of all time. They also seem to have abandoned the game. There are still numerous bugs, and the game hasn't seen a patch since January.
                        Last edited by bcass; 14-07-2021, 14:16.

Comment

I... think you may be projecting a little there. I'd suggest watching the video!

Another related thing that I saw recently, is that the games are mechanically similar enough that folks are finding new speedrun tech in the remake that has been present, but undiscovered in the original all this time.

Comment

I watched the video in full before posting.

Comment

Goddamn I loved the Demon's Souls remake (having not played the original, for better or worse).

Give me moaaaar.

I'll watch the vid, thanks.

Comment

Something else they completely botched: the online component. Splitting online into a large list of sub-regions has been catastrophic for online co-op. Within six months you were having to wait quite long periods to be summoned, even at optimal soul level ranges. I tried again a few nights ago, having not played for a month or so, and the waits were even longer now.

Comment

Working...
                                X