The Story of Neo Geo & Video Game Historiography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Story of Neo Geo & Video Game Historiography

So, I stumbled across this channel today and I am watching the Neo Geo retrospective that was just uploaded as we speak. Half way through and it is really excellently crafted I have to say in terms of production values, and lasts a hefty 40 minutes and worthy of broadcast on terrestrial or digital.

Could easily watch a total series of this going through every console.

It reminds me of the old website with the entire corporate history of Sega from the early 2000s. Sega Base I think it was called. It was really extensive charting all the executive's like Kalinske and the demise of Sega after the Dreamcast. it was one of the best historical artefacts for that period as it went in depth as to the conflict between Sega of America and Japan and the elongation of the 32X era plus war that was going on internally in the company. If anyone has a link to that website please pass it on.

Well worth your time as someone who knew little about the birth of SNK's hardware from a historical perspective.

There are additional videos on the Jaguar (For research obviously) and 3DO plus some more obscure but interesting stuff like the Atari NES to Super Nintendo Online Banking, to shorter ones on the Story of the Super FX Chip, to forgotten consoles of Apple's Pippen and the CDi. He seems to relish in the less mainstream areas which is refreshing, plus a three part series on Rare.

Really a great find.

Jenovi the guy featured in it who helped out also has an extensive site.

I just found a good one on the demise of Sega as a hardware manufacturer clocking in at 30 mins.

Episode 63 - Why did Sega fail? Join me as we examine Sega's fall from the top while answering why did Sega exit the home console market. Was it the 32X, Sa...
    Last edited by CAPCOM; 12-06-2020, 14:38.

Looks like a quality video, so I'll watch it sometime soon. The Neo Geo doesn't get as much attention as other consoles, so it's nice to see a feature on SNK's classic machine. It's still crazy to think that the AES cost $650.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      Looks like a quality video, so I'll watch it sometime soon. The Neo Geo doesn't get as much attention as other consoles, so it's nice to see a feature on SNK's classic machine. It's still crazy to think that the AES cost $650.
      The best name and logo for a console and one of the best looking consoles of all time too. Such a shame everyone goes on about the Vs fighters, when the system is a shooter and Sports fan dream system.

Soccer Brawl is an all-time classic

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        The best name and logo for a console and one of the best looking consoles of all time too. Such a shame everyone goes on about the Vs fighters, when the system is a shooter and Sports fan dream system.

You could say the same about any console though; most of the obsession surrounding the PCE is down to its vast array of high quality shmups even though it has quite a diverse library of games. Likewise for fans of fighting games, the AES is a dream machine.

I think the Saturn is in the unique position that it is the ultimate console for both fighting games and shmups!
        Last edited by samanosuke; 13-06-2020, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
          You could say the same about any console though; most of the obsession surrounding the PCE is down to its vast array of high quality shmups even though it has quite a diverse library of games. Likewise for fans of fighting games, the AES is a dream machine.

I think the Saturn is in the unique position that it is the ultimate console for both fighting games and shmups!
          Very true. It always got to me a little, when people would say the Neo Geo was all about Vs fighters and nothing else. It was a class system for shooters and sports games. Me and my mate used to love playing Neo Turf, Baseball Stars II and Soccer Brawl

Comment

Such a shame everyone goes on about the Vs fighters, when the system is a shooter and Sports fan dream system.

Yeah, you can take away all the fighters, and there are lots of good to great games covering all genres. Plenty of shoot 'em ups, beat 'em ups, puzzlers and sports games.

I love Baseball Stars 2, Soccer Brawl, Windjammers, Magical Drop 3, Metal Slug series, Shock Troopers, Top Hunter, Robo Army, Last Resort etc.. etc... The list goes on and on.

Then you have the Neo Geo CD games with remixed music.

I'll never forget playing Soccer Brawl in a Brighton arcade and thinking it was absolutely brilliant. Such a great futuristic sports game.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-06-2020, 21:31.

Comment

Here is a decent video exclusively on the Hyper Neo Geo 64 I found today.

#HyperNeoGeo64 #RetroGamingHistory #SNKToday, Top Hat Gaming Man discusses the history of the failed SNK Hyper Neo Geo 64 Arcade board and the lost unrelease...

Plus another Neo Geo one.

Originally Released in 2008 this Retroware Rewind showcases our SNK - Neo Geo History video which hasn't been showcased online for a number of years. It als...

'Top Hat Gamer' has a plethora of hardware retrospectives that look decent as well from the GX4000 to PC Engine then all the obvious ones, all the obscure ones to the Atari Jaguar Duo (more Jaguar research) and a series on cancelled consoles...

This channel might be well known I just came across it though.
              Last edited by CAPCOM; 13-06-2020, 21:04.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                Here is a decent video exclusively on the Hyper Neo Geo 64 I found today.

#HyperNeoGeo64 #RetroGamingHistory #SNKToday, Top Hat Gaming Man discusses the history of the failed SNK Hyper Neo Geo 64 Arcade board and the lost unrelease...

I remember being really interested in the Hyper Neo Geo 64, but it turned out to be nothing special. I'd much rather play 2D Neo Geo games.

Comment

I'll never forget playing Soccer Brawl in a Brighton arcade and thinking it was absolutely brilliant. Such a great futuristic sports game.
                  Used to play that game on my school dinner breaks in the local chippy. Was so happy when the Neo Geo CD came out years later and I could afford to play it at the home

Comment

I remember being really interested in the Hyper Neo Geo 64, but it turned out to be nothing special. I'd much rather play 2D Neo Geo games.
                    It's sad we never really got to see what the Hyper 64 could do for 2D graphics

Comment

I just found this great Phillips CDI reinterpratation giving it a fair hearing that is actually introduced by the guy that did the original Neo Geo video and has Jenovi in it as well. So it is all connected through Top Hat Gamer

This 'Top Hat' guy gets about the globe (Handhelds around the world), that you-tube money must be funding a nice lifestyle.

#PhilipsCDi #RetroGamingHistory #FailedConsolesToday, Top Hat Gaming Man discusses the history of the Philips CD-i and its misrepresentation withing gaming h...

I did not even know there was a PC Engine LT version of the CDI... the 370.

Last edited by CAPCOM; 14-06-2020, 09:33.

Comment

Top hat gaming man is a Nob..Sony also made a portable CD-I system too . I really like the CD I LOL

Comment

I really like the CD I LOL

Although, The Apprentice is a reasonable little game.

Comment

I am enjoying the Top Hat videos in honesty lots of obscure stuff...his CDI video was great with a funny intro by the Neo Geo chap, will look for an image of Sony's CDI...I see it was Goldstar that made the 370 see review below...

this is a GoldStar CD-i model GPI-1200M it's same as Philips CDi 370, in my opinion is very unique portable handheld console, i call it handheld because it b...

Here is a Sony CDI review

While most gamers associate Sony with the Playstation brand. The company also worked with other companies on video game hardware including their own variatio...

Last edited by CAPCOM; 14-06-2020, 11:26.

Comment

I really like the CD I LOL
                              There’s only so many times I could enjoy watching Top Gun on VCD...

Comment

Working...
                              X