Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1,637+ PC Games for $5 - itch.io bundle for racial justice. Inc. Minit, Celeste. etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
    Too many game devalue a bundle you paid the minimum of $5 for, oh do **** off.
    I'm reminded of why I blocked you.

Let me try to explain it in simple terms so you can understand. Feel free to raise your hand and ask questions at the end if you're still confused, 'kay?

On the previous page you gave recommendations, right? Keep those in mind.

I bought the bundle, I promoted it by posting the full list of 1704 things available. Though many are not games.

Then I spent about an hour, a full hour, trawling the 57 pages of items on my Itch account. I waded through mostly crap and found nothing of interest. A friend told me the list had some things I liked, and while I did not find them on my Itch page, i did find them in the text list.

That's why I posted the text list. To make searching easier for others.

So, let's go back to your recs from the previous page. I never saw them, I won't play them, they might as well not exist, therefore they are worthless.

If does not matter how many great, amazing, fun, cool, lovely little indie darling gems are included. If you surround that good stuff with useless trash, to such an extent that the good stuff can't even be seen, then you have devalued it. Imagine planting a flower in the middle of a junkyard surrounded by piles of rusted cars, to the point no one can see the flower.

The good stuff has lost its value by virtue of being undiscoverable due to there being millions of asset packages. Loads of cheaply made comics (not digital game comics, I mean literal scans of poorly made comics). And dumb one-level demos that aren't so much games, as the author's attempt to... I don't even know. But I find it weird that so much crap would have a price tag on it.

So, let me reiterate this for the slow kids in the back. Wonderful that it's for a good cause. Nice that it contains good games. Lovely. Truly, truly lovely. But when you take a handful of good games and put about a thousand pieces of detritus around it, you devalue the good by virtue of the fact people won't find nor play them. Again, that list you made? I don't even know they exist based on the hour I spent trawling my pages.

Maybe you're just a moron, and I need to give you an analogy?

Imagine your favourite game. I don't care what it is. Rise of the Robots maybe. Call of Duty. Whatever.

Imagine that amazing game that you love so much, Family Fry, and imagine it put in a digital folder with a thousand other files. Now imagine all the files have the same name: BLANK.EXE. And imagine every file has the same size, and the same date stamp, and are indistinguishable. And now you want to play that great game. So you randomly click a BLANK.EXE and it says: "Sorry Family Fry, your Game is in another Executable." And then that file deletes itself.

It doesn't matter that the greatest game on Earth is in that folder, because you need to click through hundreds of other files before finding it.

So as far as I'm concerned, yes I am happy I contributed, I think it's great that charities can benefit from bundles, let's all feel good about ourselves. But at the same time, every author who created a lame pixel icons asset package, or made some **** music album and offered it to the bundle, you have devalued the other better creations in it.

I do not regret buying it.

But I will honestly never play a single damn thing in there, because every time I look, all I see is PS1 Dachshund Process Videos + Blender 3D Model.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 17-06-2020, 08:03.

Comment

You're being wilfully ignorant of the fact that this thread, and plenty of others I've seen elsewhere, are curating lists of recommendations and highlights from the bundle. If you want to treat it as some kind of knowledge vacuum instead, clicking through pages and pages of titles with no context, that's entirely on you.

The first page of this thread actually did have people trying to talk about and recommend games, yet 95% of it is you posting an entirely unfiltered list and then complaining that the bundle is devalued because of all of the noise.

Comment

I mean in simple terms Sketcz you couldn’t find a single title to talk about or even recommend in a bundle of ONE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED AND FOURTY ONE titles, not a single one.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          You're being wilfully ignorant of the fact that this thread, and plenty of others I've seen elsewhere, are curating lists of recommendations and highlights from the bundle. If you want to treat it as some kind of knowledge vacuum instead, clicking through pages and pages of titles with no context, that's entirely on you.

The first page of this thread actually did have people trying to talk about and recommend games, yet 95% of it is you posting an entirely unfiltered list and then complaining that the bundle is devalued because of all of the noise.
          And not even sorted alphabetically

Minit and Celeste is worth the entry price on their own.

I can also recommend taking a look at

Depth of Extinction
          The Stillness of the Wind
          Ganbare! Super Strikers
          Pyre
          Empyrean Frontier
          Oxenfree
          Epic Battle Fantasy 4

If you're into game dev, there are some useful tile and sprite sets in there for projects and then there is the fantastic PICO 8 which is well worth a look at and a interesting place to start if you wanted to make a simple 8-bit console game.
          Last edited by MartyG; 18-06-2020, 11:00.

Comment

Would that be good for secondary school pupils with zero game making or coding experience? We have a new course next year and pupils will need to make a game but these won't be computer science types so it needs to be eeeeeasy.

Edit: Just taken a look and it does seem very simple and games are playable from browsers on your phone with on screen controls. That is cool so I will test it whenever we go back!
            Last edited by cutmymilk; 18-06-2020, 12:44.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
              Would that be good for secondary school pupils with zero game making or coding experience? We have a new course next year and pupils will need to make a game but these won't be computer science types so it needs to be eeeeeasy.

Edit: Just taken a look and it does seem very simple and games are playable from browsers on your phone with on screen controls. That is cool so I will test it whenever we go back!
              I think GameMaker is the go-to for that kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                I think GameMaker is the go-to for that kind of thing.
                Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                  I'm reminded of why I blocked you.

Let me try to explain it in simple terms so you can understand. Feel free to raise your hand and ask questions at the end if you're still confused, 'kay?

On the previous page you gave recommendations, right? Keep those in mind.

I bought the bundle, I promoted it by posting the full list of 1704 things available. Though many are not games.

Then I spent about an hour, a full hour, trawling the 57 pages of items on my Itch account. I waded through mostly crap and found nothing of interest. A friend told me the list had some things I liked, and while I did not find them on my Itch page, i did find them in the text list.

That's why I posted the text list. To make searching easier for others.

So, let's go back to your recs from the previous page. I never saw them, I won't play them, they might as well not exist, therefore they are worthless.

If does not matter how many great, amazing, fun, cool, lovely little indie darling gems are included. If you surround that good stuff with useless trash, to such an extent that the good stuff can't even be seen, then you have devalued it. Imagine planting a flower in the middle of a junkyard surrounded by piles of rusted cars, to the point no one can see the flower.

The good stuff has lost its value by virtue of being undiscoverable due to there being millions of asset packages. Loads of cheaply made comics (not digital game comics, I mean literal scans of poorly made comics). And dumb one-level demos that aren't so much games, as the author's attempt to... I don't even know. But I find it weird that so much crap would have a price tag on it.

So, let me reiterate this for the slow kids in the back. Wonderful that it's for a good cause. Nice that it contains good games. Lovely. Truly, truly lovely. But when you take a handful of good games and put about a thousand pieces of detritus around it, you devalue the good by virtue of the fact people won't find nor play them. Again, that list you made? I don't even know they exist based on the hour I spent trawling my pages.

Maybe you're just a moron, and I need to give you an analogy?

Imagine your favourite game. I don't care what it is. Rise of the Robots maybe. Call of Duty. Whatever.

Imagine that amazing game that you love so much, Family Fry, and imagine it put in a digital folder with a thousand other files. Now imagine all the files have the same name: BLANK.EXE. And imagine every file has the same size, and the same date stamp, and are indistinguishable. And now you want to play that great game. So you randomly click a BLANK.EXE and it says: "Sorry Family Fry, your Game is in another Executable." And then that file deletes itself.

It doesn't matter that the greatest game on Earth is in that folder, because you need to click through hundreds of other files before finding it.

So as far as I'm concerned, yes I am happy I contributed, I think it's great that charities can benefit from bundles, let's all feel good about ourselves. But at the same time, every author who created a lame pixel icons asset package, or made some **** music album and offered it to the bundle, you have devalued the other better creations in it.

I do not regret buying it.

But I will honestly never play a single damn thing in there, because every time I look, all I see is PS1 Dachshund Process Videos + Blender 3D Model.
                  FIGHT!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X