Star Wars: Squadrons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
    Another SW title with no MTX. Seems like this has been a conscious decision after the Battlefront 2 debacle.

Ha ha. I can guarantee they will be selling skins and pilots.

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
      Ha ha. I can guarantee they will be selling skins and pilots.
      Respawn/EA said the same thing about Fallen Order which had no MTX.

Although I agree a MP-focused, online game like this reeks of a GaaS and ripe for monitisation. However the quote was quite clear and no vague 'at launch'. Maybe they go with a subscription model, battle-passes - I don't know.

EA are obviously being very careful with the Star Wars license after the Battlefront 2 Loot box fiasco and this is likely not a big budget development.

Comment

Saw this was in the top 10 current best sellers on Steam and they have shown zero gameplay Star Wars!

Comment

Although I agree a MP-focused, online game like this reeks of a GaaS and ripe for monitisation. However the quote was quite clear and no vague 'at launch'. Maybe they go with a subscription model, battle-passes - I don't know.
          Oh wow, did they actually say that? Like can you point to the quote somewhere?

Because if so, that 100% means it's going to rammed to the hilt with MTX once that critical Metacritic window closes.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Oh wow, did they actually say that? Like can you point to the quote somewhere?

Because if so, that 100% means it's going to rammed to the hilt with MTX once that critical Metacritic window closes.
            It's in the press release that my original tweet referenced.

https://news.ea.com/press-release/ea...able-october-2

Comment

It's in the press release that my original tweet referenced.

https://news.ea.com/press-release/ea...able-october-2
              Sorry, where? I looked through and didn't see it, then I did a ctrl-f for "micro" and "at launch" and didn't see it either.

Comment

Sorry, where? I looked through and didn't see it, then I did a ctrl-f for "micro" and "at launch" and didn't see it either.
                Star Wars: Squadrons will offer rich cosmetic and gameplay customization options with rewards and bonuses that are earned solely through gameplay. As players move up the ranks, they’ll earn components such as weapons, hulls, engines and shields to customize the performance of their starfighters; and gain cosmetic items to customize their cockpit, ship exteriors, and appearance of their pilot. In addition, players will be able to squad up with their friends and play against others, regardless of platform, as cross-play will be supported on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and VR.
                All the media outlets are reporting 'NO mtx' and there has also been interviews with individuals at Motive and EA so there may be further confirmation from those interviews. But certainly that original PR was very clear.

Comment

All the media outlets are reporting 'NO mtx' and there has also been interviews with individuals at Motive and EA so there may be further confirmation from those interviews. But certainly that original PR was very clear.
                  Personally I think that's weaselly language. When I read it, I practically read this:

Star Wars: Squadrons will offer rich cosmetic and gameplay customization options, with rewards and bonuses that are earned solely through gameplay.
                  It's saying that there are going to be gameplay-exclusive rewards, but I don't get the impression that means there will be no MTX. I'm not sure about trusting other stuff over the wording of the press release because we've seen too many times how the games press is like a game of broken telephone, where people repeat stuff and embellish until the message changes, and even developer comments aren't that reliable.

That being said, I guess we'll have to wait for launch. I won't be buying it day-1 so I can wait to find out.

Comment

I kind of expect this to get drowned out at launch and die off pretty quickly. As much as Star Wars is a big I don't feel like there's all that much demand for this kind of game.

Comment

It's saying that there are going to be gameplay-exclusive rewards, but I don't get the impression that means there will be no MTX.
                      I'm the biggest cynic on this forum. I love a moan about aggressive business models more that anyone but I feel that might be a stretch here. To me the statement doesn't feel 'weasely' compared to some of the really vague (or outright lies) sh**e from Bethesda, Blizzard et all. As you say things will become clearer and 'no mtx' doesn't mean no battle pass, season pass, DLC or subscription (fallout 1st) etc.

But there are 2 things that make me not quite reach for the pitchfork as mentioned:

1. Jedi:Fallen Order - Respawn & EA said pretty much the same thing and were true to their word.
                      2. I think EA are being incredibly careful with the SW license post BF2 as we close in on renewal in a few years (2023).

Like Neon I think this is a lower budget project probably spun from BF's star fighter mode and not a massively expensive endeavour.
                      Last edited by Digfox; 17-06-2020, 14:12.

Comment

Like Neon I think this is a lower budget project probably spun from BF's star fighter mode and not a massively expensive endeavour.
                        My assumption is similar; I think this is EA's equivalent of Ubi titles like For Honor and Skull & Bones, i.e. they're spinning off part of an existing game.

Comment

From the EA Play event that just ended:

So you have to have experience in all 8 ships before you can play MP.

Comment

Looks really nice. Shall be getting this and VR support is always welcome

Comment

No B-Wing no sale.
                              From that trailer seems that the old LucasArts games will still offer more variety though, at least in ship selection.

Comment

Is it iust an expanded version of the battlegrounds sections?

Comment

Working...
                                X