Star Wars: Squadrons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
    Yea, I think so. If sounds like it's an oversight and a hang-up of using the Battlefront/Frostbite engine. Even though it's probably a small percentage of users with a HOTAS the game not supporting them is like Street Fighter not supporting arcade sticks.

Just gotta to hope the small team can get to it before they've moved on to something else.
    I bet the amount of us who owns HOTAS stick is tiny, but it be nice to see it put in there . It is that much work for the developers ?

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      I bet the amount of us who owns HOTAS stick is tiny, but it be nice to see it put in there . It is that much work for the developers ?
      Speaking for the developers - supporting the stick, i.e. getting it to work in-game, is pretty easy.

The hard part comes from how there are probably many sticks with different button configurations, so you need to let players rebind them. And this is no exaggeration, a controller rebind screen is often the single most complex screen in a game's UI; not doing one on console can be a substantial saving to a project.

PC games have it easier because of the mouse interface, or you can even sometimes make a little separate program just for the purposes of rebinds.

Comment

I don't think so, but it complexity of the flight model can also impact controls. The good news is if they have gone to the effort of developing this for PC then it's a positive sign.

Comment

Having knocked about with Battlefront II s lot will also depend on how much has gone into the feel of the vehicles. I definitely don't want a full game of BF2 flight combat sequences.

Comment

I think it looks like my worst fears are going to be true.

Boring
            Boring
            Boring

Will probably only buy if cheap and for the VR side of things.
            Last edited by Mr Ono; 23-07-2020, 10:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
              I think it looks like my worst fears are going to be true.

Boring
              Boring
              Boring

Will probably only buy if cheap and for the VR side of things.
              Why do you think it looks boring? I think it looks great.

Comment

I mean, you fly an Xwing in space combat in VR! Yes please.

Comment

I suppose it will depend on how much depth there actually is. It looks damned slow so if it's EA's usual mass market fare it'll get old fast

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Not sure it looks boring exactly, but it does look shallow compared to something like X-Wing vs Tie Fighter - it's clearly ers more towards action than sim but there looks to be some sim elements to it (like the shield and power configuration).

The alpha runs soon, although it's invite only and under NDA, but maybe that will give a better idea of what's what compared to the vid.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I can see the 5v5 gameplay being exceptionally boring after the initial novelty of flying SW craft. Even Jackfrags says you need to have mates playing with you.

It doesn't feel epic.

Comment

Got a playtest for this today at 5pm, gonna have to dust off the VR

edit: The test doesn't have VR support. : poo emoji :
                        Last edited by Adam; 24-07-2020, 16:27.

Comment

Well, pre-load of 26gb done.

Valve Index warmed up and HOTAS plugged in.

Release is meant to be today but who knows what time they fecking unlock it on Steam.

Comment

They've added HOTAS support for PS4 and Xbox One:

Star Wars: Squadrons has hands-on throttle-and-stick (HOTAS) support on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, EA has confirmed.Su…

And now everywhere's sold out of PS4 HOTAS controllers

Comment

Badly optimised, buggy with absolutely no thought gone into the user interface. Crashed my VR multiple times and HOTAS support is badly implemented with a massive deadzone.

I kid you not when I say it takes over 5 mins to get from booting to cockpit because the loading times are ****. And I have the thing installed on an NVME!

Would not recommend this on PC at this moment. Just take a look at some of the Steam reviews - they pretty much say the same thing.

Comment

How bizzare, i have been playing for 2 hours and not had a single issue, though im not running VR so cant speak for that part but it runs absolutey flawless for me and my HOTAS works brilliantly, had to spend a bit of time configuering all the buttons etc but now i have im having an blast. Im only 3 missions into the campaign and im having so much fun, the X-Wing feels just amazing. My expectations for this were low but so far its much better than i hoped for.

Now i have my HOTAS how i want it, im finding it just as much fun as the old Star Wars arcade machines back in the day, and it looks just brilliant. Feels very much like a modern take on X-Wing/Tie-Fighter, not as in depth obviously but switching through power options for weapons, shields and engines is so similar, not to mention having shields either forwards or aft takes me right back. So far great stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X