• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 139: Galleon

History in Games:
    2004 - Galleon

Overview:
    Announced a full seven years before its release, the game originally drew attention thanks to it coming from one of the original designers of Tomb Raider that was exploding in popularity at the time. The game took a long time to come to market however and after its release the staff returned to work on Croft's adventures. The Galleon series was intended too have a comic book visual design but instead the games seemed to appear more like early polygon titles which made for odd proportions and a somewhat dated visual look, the game also received very average reviews meaning that a long wait for a high profile title ended in a curio that is often looked past.

Did you ever experience Galleon?

A overlooked gem. Also, the sound effects and voice acting were fab

Comment

I don't think I got that far into this at the time. I struggle to remember too much of the games layout itself, mostly remembering it as being fiddly to play so a lot of my recall of it comes from the years of previews and the amount of weight that was put in it due to the TR connection.

Comment

I remember the long saga of Galleon's development and all the expectations surrounding it. It wasn't a game that I was very interested in, but all the hype did get my attention. When it eventually came out for the Xbox, I saw a lot of negative reviews, so I completely lost interest. I didn't even to bother to buy it when I was collecting OG Xbox games.

Looking on Wiki, the game did get a few reasonable 7/10 scores and one 8/10. EDGE awarded it 7/10. Seeing it in action, it was clearly a '90s PC game that was too long in development. At one point it was touted for the Dreamcast.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-06-2020, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I remember the long saga of Galleon's development and all the expectations surrounding it. It wasn't a game that I was very interested in, but all the hype did get my attention. When it eventually came out for the Xbox, I saw a lot of negative reviews, so I completely lost interest. I didn't even to bother to buy it when I was collecting OG Xbox games.

Looking on Wiki, the game did get a few reasonable 7/10 scores and one 8/10. EDGE awarded it 7/10. Seeing it in action, it was clearly a '90s PC game that was too long in development. At one point it was touted for the Dreamcast.
          You really should have tried it. It was such a lovely game when you got used and adjusted to the weird controls. The sense of scale and adventure was brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            You really should have tried it. It was such a lovely game when you got used and adjusted to the weird controls. The sense of scale and adventure was brilliant
            I liked Fable, so maybe I would have got some fun out of Galleon. It has British vibe about it that I appreciate. I just remember there was quite a bit of negativity surrounding it back in the day, so I haven't felt like giving it a go. I might play it at some point.

Comment

BC? Otherwise this is DOOMED.

I've had the original since about three weeks after it came out (when I got a brand new copy for £4.99). Have tried to get into it a few times but its control method is TOO bad (you feel like a wrecking ball) but I could imagine this with standard controls being quite a bland experience (????????s to those who've played it enough???)

I reckon its one gimmick relied purely on one, simple mechanic: ie. bad controls.

This always seemed like a 'special' game, primarily down to how complicated the controls made everything seem.

And was it, really?

Nah, I think they were pulling the wool over eyes.

To finish with, I'll reiterate:

Is this BC?

Can't be arsed digging it out, I'm pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                BC? Otherwise this is DOOMED.
                Galleon 4K.

Comment

Aaaaaw mate, I'm so conflicted with this one...!

Comment

Working...
                  X