Computer beep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer beep

My computer beeps once a day, at 2:26pm every day. Anyone know how I find out why it does this?

Hi Dogg, sorry to say but it sounds like your computer is haunted.

The best way to find the source of the problem is by looking at where else you are seeing the number 2.26. Is it for example appearing on clocks around your home, no matter the time, or perhaps written in blood across your bathroom mirror?

Hope that's helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      My computer beeps once a day, at 2:26pm every day. Anyone know how I find out why it does this?
      You sure it hasn't restarted itself and that's the POST beep you're hearing?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
        You sure it hasn't restarted itself and that's the POST beep you're hearing?
        Nope, no restarts. The only other symptom recently is that, once a few days ago, it wouldn’t wake up from sleep and I had to shut it off by holding the power button (although oddly when I restarted, everything was open as if it had just woken from sleep). The beeps have been happening while I was working at my computer and nothing obvious occurs at that time. It has actually taken me quite a few days to figure out it was coming from my computer at that exact time. Initially I thought it was something else in the room but I was ready today and listening out to make sure it really was coming from the computer.

Comment

Beep from the computer hardware, or from windows?

Comment

The hardware. It’s something inside the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              The hardware. It’s something inside the box.
              Probably your power supply crying out for help

Jokes aside, can you describe the beeps or record them for us?

Comment

Unplug the internal speaker, an you're done

Comment

Check you've not mistaken it for a wristwatch

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                    Probably your power supply crying out for help

Jokes aside, can you describe the beeps or record them for us?
                    It’s a single short beep. The most basic old fashioned beep a computer can make. It’s not the same computer that blew up a few times so this one should be easier on the power!

Comment

You say it's from the hardware. Are you sure your case has an internal speaker and it's connected? Do you know of any possible hardware inside the PC that might have a speaker (like a modem or some strange legacy board)? Are you sure it's not from external speakers? If the latter is the case, then it's something from OS level upwards, rather than related to BIOS/hardware.
                      Have you recently updated/installed programs that might have a scheduled task (antivirus, defrag, file sync)?
                      You can take a look at Windows' event scheduler and the warning logs to check if the OS is recording anything.
                      At that time, are you usually doing some CPU or GPU-intensive task? Do you have a UPS? Is it showing any signs of over- or under- current?
                      Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 16-06-2020, 19:23.

Comment

I don’t know anything about the insides of this particular machine but the beep is definitely coming from inside rather than external speakers. It’s Windows 10 so unfortunately it updates all the time and I have no idea what it may have changed over the last while, although I haven’t installed anything new myself. No obvious pattern yet in what I’m doing with the machine when it happens although it’s only in the last couple of days that I figured out the beeping is actually coming from the machine (rather than something else in the room) so I’ll need to watch out for what might be triggering it. Nothing intensive anyway.

I’ll have a look for that even scheduled tomorrow in case that reveals something.

Comment

Is your net connection Ethernet? Or WiFi?

Comment

Also what keyboard do you have? I know that sounds an odd question

Comment

Keyboard buffer full? Possible.

The fact that it happens at 2:26pm everyday suggests BIOS eake up setting ir similar. The beep is possibly because the machine is already on?

Comment

Working...
                              X