Video game scaler test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video game scaler test

Bob at RETRO RGB has measured the lag in nearly every model available, some surprising and also laughable results:

i recently discovered those rad2x cables but you can forget trying to get hold of one they sell out almost instantly at the moment shame as i thought i'd finally found a solution for playing ps1 on my tv as it resolution switches really fast with very little if any lag not like the crappy framemeister snail-o-switch i'll keep at it though as i do want one hopefully more stock will eventually go up.

Comment

What's the result of the Framemeister? Seems like ages ago that I bought one. It's always been well known that the lag is an issue, but the way it delivers standard 480p/720p/1080p is a good thing over the OSSC. But then the OSSC has less lag. So there isn't a perfect solution. I'd love an OSSC that looks like - and has all the options - of the Framemeister.

Can a line doubler really look good on an LCD? I don't think it looks very nice on the OSSC or when the FM outputs 240p games at 480p. I've always thought that retro games need to be scaled up to at least 720p.

Maybe a 4K scaler would have lag? It would be great if you had a 4K Framemeister with minimal lag.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-06-2020, 21:07.

Comment

its extremely slow when it switches between resolutions and certain games i play on ps1 are severely affected when running through it pretty much making them unplayable on pop n music it goes to black as it switches resolutions it takes so long the song has already started and i have missed loads of notes. It might be great for some consoles but for ps1 it's rubbish quite frankly.

framemeister used to be the gold standard, i'm curious what the ossc pro will bring to the table.
        Last edited by importaku; 16-06-2020, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          its extremely slow when it switches between resolutions and certain games i play on ps1 are severely affected
          Yeah, it doesn't like resolution switching. I've always thought it does a good job with 8 & 16-bit gaming, even if fighters are affected by a bit too much lag.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          framemeister used to be the gold standard, i'm curious what the ossc pro will bring to the table.
          I really like the OSSC, so I'm sure the Pro version will be something special. I'll probably upgrade.

I'd like to see a 4K scaler, but I have a feeling it would be difficult to deliver that without quite a bit of lag. Maybe some clever person will design one that doesn't have any significant issues.

Comment

Working...
          X