Nintendo 3DS Retrospective - I guess it is Retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo 3DS Retrospective - I guess it is Retro

So I am trying to pick up a split new system 3DS, preferably the New 3DS but getting the flip screen hardware is proving trickier than I imagined...

I missed this system since 2011 and just wanted to start a discussion on it specifically in reference to both the original DS and also the Vita plus the rise of smartphones. These obviously altered the handheld landscape considerably since 2008 to the point that it is unrecognizable to the era of the original DS.

I guess one thing that sort of goes unmentioned to the success of the Switch is that Nintendo used to have two hardware streams, home then handheld, and these have been cannibalized to create the hybrid of the Switch.

- Gameboy & NES-SNES era
    - Gameboy Advance & Gamecube era
    - Nintendo DS & Wii-Wii U era
    - Nintendo 3DS & Wii U-Switch era

Anyway as someone new to the system that has been around since 2011 it could be considered retro as it is almost two generations old by certain indicators.

Here is a list of top 50

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate did not make the top 50 though, still have not played that.

Looking for impressions and appraisals of the system now time has passed and any hidden gems.
    Last edited by CAPCOM; 17-06-2020, 19:36.

In truth... It's a strange one for me. Like my knee-jerk reaction is that I can't think of any exceptional games for it. The bulk of what I played during its life was for the DS. Mario Kart 7 and 3D Land were great, but Mario Kart 8 and 3D World were basically the same concept done much, much better.

I enjoyed Pokemon Y, I guess? That was the first one I played to completion since Red, and I was fine with it being relatively small in scope because unlike Sword, it was on a handheld back when that distinction was more meaningful. Phoenix Wright 5 was fun, but didn't really benefit from being 3D.

Comment

For me, Nintendo's best handheld if you sideline the Switch somewhat. So close in design and execution to the DS as well as supporting its software as to completely wipe out the need for that system barring GBA support but for me the gulf between console and handheld experiences was so vast or focused on games that borderlined on effectively being mini-games on prior hardware that the handhelds were largely also rans compared the home experience. 3DS was the one that most closely balanced the titles you got before, the niche stuff handheld fans like and the traditional experiences you often never got normally. I still adore the 3D effect, every game looks better in 3D (based on New 3DS XL) compared to the soft 2D image. I'm working through its main library titles currently and it's aged like fine wine.

Comment

I take the New 3DS is the system to get then...where is the best place outside of ebay to find the hardware?...Even amazon and the likes of Shop To have totally stopped selling it...only 2DS and expensive special editions of 3DS left.

Just want a jet black New 3DS.

See here...

200k sold in 2019 in one quarter, Nintendo pushed it aside to concentrate on Switch and Smartphone revenue.

I guess there might come a time when they do release another dedicated handheld due to technological change but the success of the Switch seems to indicate this hybrid approach will continue...
        Last edited by CAPCOM; 17-06-2020, 22:14.

Comment

Few games require or really take advantage of the New 3DS so the classic system might not be a bad bet for you. On the other hand if you want to hack it for homebrew and emulators the New variants are the way to go as they have a far beefier CPU and more RAM.

Comment

What games would you particularly recommend Neon?

Very good metallic Black used ones are going for 220 pounds on Amazon which seems a bit pricey, there is definitely a market for this hardware. However, I have seen ones for half that on ebay. The special editions all seem northward of 200 pounds

Super Famicom New 210
            Animal Crossing New 240
            Grey Ltd Edition New 330
            Fire Emblem New 350
            Samus Ltd Edition New 350
            Pokemon Sun & Moon New 350
            Super Mario 3D Land New 350
            Super Mario Bros New 350
            Monster Hunter 3G New 220
            Piakachu New 400
            Smash Bros New 300

Even a Blue and Black normal version 300! Nintendo should never have stopped production!

It is going to be easier to get a special edition version and probably better value paradoxically!
            Last edited by CAPCOM; 19-06-2020, 17:40.

Comment

I have several 3DS' which, while none are for sale, I do have a gun I'm considering selling; reading the orignal post however it's almost made me decide to turn it on myself and do a non-retrospective retrospective of me blowing my own head off rather than re-read more of this guff from a certain user.
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Really that is pretty rude.

Why do you not just delete yourself than bother posting? Nobody is forcing you to read anything. Bizarre behaviour to say the least!

Comes into thread...complains that it persuades him to return to console in a pseudo humorous fashion then admonishes user in a pretty chilling manner...you literally could not make it up...but it's there in plain English.

Manners cost nothing...something you fail to grasp.

Last time I checked we are having a chat about the 3DS.

What the chuff is it with some gamers and poor personalities.

Have a great evening.
                Last edited by CAPCOM; 17-06-2020, 22:51.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                  Even a Blue and Black normal version 300! Nintendo should never have stopped production!
                  I heard it was because of the way 3D went as a fad; Nintendo found themselves to be the only manufacturer of small-sized active parallax barrier 3D screens. The few mobile phones which tried it never took off, so nobody else had a use for them.

Comment

3DS had some great highlights (A Link Between Worlds maybe being my fave) and I still occasionally fire up my new XL for a bit of Out Run / Ambassador action ... but one thing I've never quite got over is those early reports that it wasn't kind to your eyes. It may have been a load of old hogwash but that factor has always hung over the system like a dark shadow for me, especially as they were out when the kids wanted them too (ours had an XL each, locked to 2D).

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                      Bizarre behaviour to say the least!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        3DS had some great highlights (A Link Between Worlds maybe being my fave)
                        I can't believe I still haven't played this...

Comment

It's a hard one with 3DS, there's a fair few ports on it but they're broadly solid and I know most would list loads of NDS games they think more highly of as much of the 3DS is more like stuff you get elsewhere but that's kind of why the system appeals as the Vita never got the chance to really deliver that console on your pocket experience much.

-Super Mario 3D Land
                          -The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
                          -The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
                          -The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
                          -Mario Kart 7
                          -Kid Icarus: Uprising
                          -Animal Crossing: New Leaf
                          -Luigi's Mansion
                          -Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
                          -Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
                          -Kirby's Triple Deluxe
                          -Kirby's Epic Yarn 3D
                          -Kirby's Planet Robotron
                          -Yoshi's Woolly World 3D
                          -Pokemon X/Y
                          -Super Smash Bros 3DS
                          -Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
                          -Metroid: Samus Returns
                          -Ridge Racer 3D
                          -Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence 3D
                          -New Super Mario Bros 2
                          -Street Fighter IV 3D
                          -Donkey Kong Country Returns
                          -Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
                          -Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
                          -Resident Evil: Revelations
                          -The Professor Layton series
                          -The Phoenix Wright games
                          -Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
                          -Star Fox 64 3D

A few more I'll be missing too but can't think of right now

Comment

One of the chief reasons to get one is to play Link Between Worlds

There are a few other Zelda portable games over DS and 3DS though

Phantom Hourglass (DS)
                            Spirit Tracks (DS)
                            Minish Cap (GBA - Ambassador)
                            Link's Awakening (GB - eShop)
                            Four Swords Anniversary (DSi - eShop)
                            Legend of Zelda (NES - Ambassador)
                            Legend of Zelda II (NES - Ambassador)
                            Ocarina (3DS)
                            Majora (3DS)

Fairly sure this did not come out...

Not sure about this one either must be a variation of Spirit Tracks fanart. Any I have forgotten?

Last edited by CAPCOM; 19-06-2020, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              -Kid Icarus: Uprising
                              In b4 this thread hits 30 pages

Comment

Working...
                              X