Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Final Fight my fave by a mile though.

A perfect example of how special scrolling beat 'em ups could be. Not many other titles in the genre rival Capcom's masterpiece.

Comment

I’m sure you lot conspired against me for predicting Bubble Bobble to make everyone’s list. But I won’t begrudge R-Type for doing so instead as it is all shades of awesomeness.

Comment

Final Fight
        R-Type
        Contra (well, Gryzor)

I liked Bubble Bobble lots...but never loved it.

Comment

R Type and Bubble Bobble are 2 pcbs I own so obviously them 2 for me. Final Fight is my other choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

A perfect example of how special scrolling beat 'em ups could be. Not many other titles in the genre rival Capcom's masterpiece.
            Wait is this a selection within a selection thread? Always Hagger or Guy never Cody. Just like the screenshot actually. Bad ass ninja and wrestler wins out over Ken doll.

I.Hagger II.Guy III. Cody

May as well have called the original version Final Fight Hagger in my house.
            Last edited by CAPCOM; 19-06-2020, 19:32.

Comment

Same here, mate. OG Haggar is the best. Just a shame they had to make him look more S&M in the second and added a stoooooopid ponytail in the third. Gah.

I always thought the idea of the first was cooler, it's just a pissed-off mayor taking his shirt off and going out to batter people. He's still got his work kecks on, his crappy office brogues still on his feet.

Also, he wears braces to keep his kecks up. Which really wasn't a cool thing in the 80s. Cannon & Ball ruined it with their "rock on Tommy!", brace-twanging shtick. As I was a fat child, I wore braces to keep my trousers up and all I got was "rock on Tommy!" and people twanging my braces all the ****in time...which bloody stung, tbh!

Anyway, I'm rambling, but Mike just got pissed off and went straight from work to kill quite a few peeps with his bare hands.

No fancy-schmancy outfits, just a huge, pissed-off guy kicking arse!

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                Wait is this a selection within a selection thread? Always Hagger or Guy never Cody. Just like the screenshot actually. Bad ass ninja and wrestler wins out over Ken doll.
                Yeah, Cody is a bit too generic. But I sort of like how he seems like a normal guy taking on the gang. Guy & Haggar look more interesting and are also more fun to play as.

It's funny that Capcom released 'Final Fight Guy' when gamers were upset that he didn't appear in the SNES port. He couldn't be DLC, so they had to release a whole new cartridge. They should have bumped the rom size up and included all three characters and the missing content.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                Same here, mate. OG Haggar is the best. Just a shame they had to make him look more S&M in the second and added a stoooooopid ponytail in the third. Gah.

Yeah, we don't want him looking like this.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                I always thought the idea of the first was cooler, it's just a pissed-off mayor taking his shirt off and going out to batter people. He's still got his work kecks on, his crappy office brogues still on his feet.

They should have made a film starring Jesse Ventura as Haggar.

Comment

R-Type
                  : 10 votes
                  Final Fight: 9 votes
                  Bubble Bobble: 6 votes
                  Super Hang-On: 4 votes
                  Pang: 4 votes
                  Contra: 3 votes

R-Type & Final Fight have managed to dominate. Maybe we'll have a few more votes, but at the moment R-Type is basking in the glory of the top spot.

Comment

Pang: Loved this in the arcade and loved it on C64 also. Still have a PS1 copy.

Final Fight: Fantastic example of arcade fighting perfection.

R-Type: Classic shooter I've grown to admire a lot over the years.

Comment

Ocean did an amazing job with the home computer versions of Pang. The Amiga version is clearly the most faithful to the arcade, but even the Speccy version knocked it out the park.

Comment

Was truly a great conversation. Played it for hours I am sure it had the two player mode as well on computers.

Here's a good link and interview with Michel Janicki.

Lire cette interview en français Some of you may not know his name but everyone knows his work on Amiga. Indeed we owe [...]

Then this one with Marc Djan.

Ocean France created some of the most polished coin-op conversions for the Amiga. Marc Djan was the head of Ocean France, and kindly answers some questions about the company including why so many of their games were never released!

The bits on the unreleased versions of Liquid Kids and Snow Bros are interesting.

Liquid Kids
                        In August 2003, an English Amiga Board member called The Wolf tracked down the developers of Liquid Kids and arranged for it to finally be released. The game is a little rough in places (the English language in the game is very amusing - who could forget the classic "Congratulation! You've buying this game. It's a good choice!" message at the start!) and there are a number of bugs, but overall it's a nice little game.

Snow Bros
                        The big find was from another English Amiga Board member known as Dlfrsilver who managed to track down the full game Snow Bros - one of the most slick arcade conversions ever seen on the Amiga. It was a travesty not to have been released in 1991 when it was finished. Pierre Adane did incredible programming with fantastic graphics by Philippe Dessoly, Lionel Dessoly and Christophe Soeur. Thankfully both games have been saved from oblivion!
                        Pang was ranked 11th best Amiga game of all time by Amiga Power.
                        Last edited by CAPCOM; 21-06-2020, 15:28.

Comment

I'll go with:

1.Bubble Bobble
                          2. Contra
                          3. Pang

I think the other three were all bettered by other titles in the genre around the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                            I'll go with:

1.Bubble Bobble
                            2. Contra
                            3. Pang

I think the other three were all bettered by other titles in the genre around the same time.
                            I’m sorry but R-Type was bettered by which horizontal shooter circa 1987? I’m intrigued to know!

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              Ocean did an amazing job with the home computer versions of Pang. The Amiga version is clearly the most faithful to the arcade, but even the Speccy version knocked it out the park.
                              Yeah, they're all good ports. I remember loving the Amiga version.

The Amstrad GX4000 version is pretty good.

Super Pang on the SNES is really nice. I also like the PCE CD version.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                                I’m sorry but R-Type was bettered by which horizontal shooter circa 1987? I’m intrigued to know!
                                Getting my fan boy alert radar activating.

Comment

Working...
                                X