Retro Rumble: Round 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 1

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-06-2020, 01:12.

Love all six but I’m going to have to go with Bubble Bobble, R-Type and Final Fight.

I’m going to take a punt that Bubble Bobble will make everyone’s list.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

I’m going to take a punt that Bubble Bobble will make everyone’s list.
      Yeah, it still gets a lot of love on the retro scene. I think that's partly because it had good home ports back in the day.

Someone remade the Amstrad version to be closer to the coin-op.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-06-2020, 23:07.

Comment

Bubble Bobble and R Type are easy choices, then Super Hang On. It isn't my favourite Sega racer by a long way, but I'm not a massive fan of the other three.

Comment

Final Fight, Bubble Bobble and R-Type.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
            then Super Hang On. It isn't my favourite Sega racer by a long way,
            All the other classic Sega racers will be featured in forthcoming rounds. I personally think Super Hang-On is still one of Sega's most playable racers, so it's one I go back to quite often. I really like the vibrant visuals, catchy music, and smooth gameplay.

Bubble Bobble & R-Type are winning the contest so far.

Comment

Final Fight R-Type and Pang. If it was Contra III I would have got rid of R-Type

I particularly love Pang and was playing it at the weekend on the PAPK3 through CPS I think although it was on the Neo Geo ROM list. It was Pang 3 it must have been. So simple yet fiendishly addictive. Good memories of the Amiga port by Ocean France as well.

Does anyone know if Retro Gamer has done a feature on the history of Ocean France actually?

Comment

Final Fight, Contra and Super Hang On.

I've never really liked R-Type.

Comment

1 Super Hang-ON - One of SEGA best every coin up games. So fast, so smooth, so playable and the music score was incredible

2) Final Fight

3) R- Type - Loved in the Arcades and on the Master System and I know I'm on my own, but loved the Snes port too (the music was amazing)

Comment

R-type
                    Contra
                    Bubble Bobble

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                      If it was Contra III I would have got rid of R-Type
                      All the Contra games will appear, but this time it's the original that was known as 'Gryzor' in the UK. Contra III is my favourite game in the series, but I still enjoy the first one. The NES version is really good.

I particularly love Pang and was playing it at the weekend on the PAPK3 through CPS I think although it was on the Neo Geo ROM list. It was Pang 3 it must have been.
                      I think Pang 3 is running on a Capcom board. I have played a Neo Geo version, but I think it had really horrible rendered graphics.

Good memories of the Amiga port by Ocean France as well.

Does anyone know if Retro Gamer has done a feature on the history of Ocean France actually?
                      Pang, Toki, Liquid Kids, and Snow Bros. Ocean France managed to use the Amiga tech properly and deliver arcade ports that not only looked good but also played well. I'm not sure if Retro Gamer has done a feature on them, but I think they've mentioned how good some of their ports were.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      1 Super Hang-ON - One of SEGA best every coin up games. So fast, so smooth, so playable and the music score was incredible
                      Yeah, it's polished in all areas. Still a joy to play.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      3) R- Type - Loved in the Arcades and on the Master System and I know I'm on my own, but loved the Snes port too (the music was amazing)
                      The Master System and PC Engine versions were really good. The SNES version is well worth playing, despite the slowdown issue.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-06-2020, 09:08.

Comment

Bubble Bobble, R-Type and Pang. We haven't had that combination yet. Three great games.

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                          Bubble Bobble, R-Type and Pang. We haven't had that combination yet. Three great games.
                          Yeah, those three are all great, but I've chosen:

Final Fight: There's still something special about the whole design that keeps me coming back for more. Such a brilliant creation.
                          Pang: I remember loving it - across a range of systems - back in the day. It's always fun to go back to.
                          Super Hang-On: The slick, colourful graphics still impress, the music is pumping, and it plays really well.

Another unique combination.

Comment

The rankings so far:

R-Type: 7 votes
                            Final Fight: 6 votes
                            Bubble Bobble: 5 votes
                            Super Hang-On: 4 votes
                            Pang: 3 votes
                            Contra: 2 votes

Looks like there's three clear contenders for the title, but if more people vote for Super Hang-On that could change. I wouldn't be surprised if Bubble Bobble surges into the lead if there's more voting.

Comment

Final Fight, Pang and R-Type.

Final Fight my fave by a mile though.

Comment

Working...
                              X