Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revenge is a dish best served at 60fps.

Comment

All done and throughly enjoyed the roller coaster of emotions. Gutted it came to an end.

Comment

Finished. It was very up and down for me.
        Not close to the original for me, too long, too frustrating and the plot didn't cut it.
        But it does lots right with what it does do, as per naughty dog. Skillful handling of delicate moments as per what they do, still masterful at it.

Comment

Its been interesting to read the comments of those who have finished the game now. Agreed on there being some very high points but also agree on the game being somewhat longer than it had to be (in this case a little bit of trimming here and there could have helped create a leaner experience). I can't question the technical or graphical prowess on display but what does that count for if you begin to notice the length of the game?

We may get a Part III and I'd be interested to see what the plan is with that one. I guess if Part II has achieved anything its to make fans expect the unexpected at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            in this case a little bit of trimming here and there could have helped create a leaner experience).
            trimming would have fixed the pacing massively, all to often you where funneled down a set route where you are shown your destination but have the rug pulled from under you when nearing said location. Add in that you always end up going the long way round and it becomes infuriating at times.

Take the rooftop, this section has you nearing the end and literally forces you down crashing through a roof forcing you too slowly make your way through boring broken floor after floor of enemy filled locations. it even starts with you having to explore and back track through a location for a mask for your partner talk about padding"

Comment

Finished this the other day. Absolutely loved it. A worthy sequel to probably my favourite console game of the last decade.

Like the first, it's a bit slow to get going but once it gets its hooks into you, it's completely engrossing and it just gets better and better. This franchise has storytelling that's up there with the best that cinema and TV have to offer. The game is a huge journey filled with shocks, twists and memorable moments. The writing and acting on display is pretty much unmatched in gaming.

Gameplay wise, a lot of this is feeling overly familiar now. Picking up supplies in particular starts to feel a bit tiresome, but it's easy to forgive in the grand scheme of things. The game encourages you to approach combat in a variety of ways as it progresses and with a variety of tools as well. It's quite thrilling at times.

The thing that makes the game really special however is..

Abby.

Experiencing the story from two different viewpoints, making a connection with two different characters, with different abilities, is frankly genius. They took a huge risk doing this but I really warmed to Abby.

The way the game has you questioning who the bad guys are is brilliant. Meeting characters that Ellie killed as Abby is inspired (RIP PSP girl).

The game gleefully killed off so many characters that the final brawl between Abby and Ellie had me thinking the game was going to force me to kill my favourite character. So much so that I let Abby kill Ellie to see if that was an option. Thankfully they both made it. Ellie returns home heartbroken having lost everything and Abby and Lev make it to the Fireflies by the looks of it. Closure, until Sony throw enough money at Naughty Dog for a trilogy.

Gameplay highlights, off the top of my head:

The Museum “It looks like a giraffe.” *sniff*
              Boating.
              Sniper.
              Flamethrower.
              Stalkers scaring the **** out of you.
              Sky bridge.
              The Thing in the hospital.
              The burning Scar camp.
              Santa Barbra being a welcome change of scenery.
              Letting the infected loose in the Rattlers camp.

Last edited by Super Monkey Balls; 18-07-2020, 17:44.

Comment

Really enjoying this. 10 hours in. The revenge-at-all-costs plot is starting to feel as excessive and unhinged as Gully Foyle's progress in The Stars my Destination, which is great. So far I'm not moved even a tiny bit by the attempts - in a game that forces me to kill - to make me feel uneasy or guilty for that killing. The fact that the people who set their vicious attack dogs at my throat are dog lovers and get quite upset when I blow up their dogs is neither here nor there. I can kill their dogs all day, no problem. Needless to say, I'm playing this with a Doom Eternal mindset. The kind of gruesome traps you can set up and trigger that bring infected, militia and their wretched dogs into a heap of carnage is really quite glorious.
                Last edited by Golgo; 15-01-2021, 09:43.

Comment

I absolutely loved this, played back to back with Last of Us Remastered as I've not had a playstation since PS2 and got on board with PS5 release. Lots to catch up on!
                  The first game was nice and tight and hard hitting but I loved what they did with the second one. The experience just stuck with me afterwards for days and I'm really struggling to engage with other games since.

The encounters were such a step up over the first one too, just felt like you had options. In the first one, I'd stealth a bit and then get spotted and go guns blazing. This time I was properly drawn into the game, edging around, planning my attacks. Superb stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
                    The encounters were such a step up over the first one too, just felt like you had options. In the first one, I'd stealth a bit and then get spotted and go guns blazing. This time I was properly drawn into the game, edging around, planning my attacks. Superb stuff.
                    Yeah, the encounters are great, whether they go to plan or whether they go south and all hell breaks loose. Usually the latter. I'm kind of going for a max gibbage approach. Might as well rename the game 'I Was a Teenage Lesbian Kratos'. Ellie is an absolute beast in this, I love her. Any news on the multiplayer component? I think I heard it was coming as a standalone. I could go for some of that.

The story is kind of going off in ways I wouldn't have anticipated nor - to be honest - chosen if I was the writer. But it remains plausible and makes sense from within the parameters and rules and motivations of the fiction, so I wouldn't join the entitled Angry Joes of this world who insist every character and story beat must match what they personally want.
                    Last edited by Golgo; 15-01-2021, 09:43.

Comment

So last night this game tried to pull the guilts on me and my player character because

we killed a woman who turned out to be pregnant.

This was the same person who

travelled across the country to assist in the torture and murder of a man whose crime was protecting his ward from being murdered in the hopes of a vaccine, and who applied a tourniquet to his leg - which had been shotgunned off at the knee - to prevent him bleeding out so that the torture could be prolonged as much as possible.

The same person who,

in the moments before I killed her, was trying to stick a knife in my throat.

And the trauma of that experience causes

Ellie to turn back when she's on the cusp of finding her quarry?

Hmmm...

Really, what with this kind of thing, and the blessed people snivelling over their poor attack dogs which you have to kill before they literally chew your face off...I don't know....

It just feels the whole moral/emotional tone is off. If you want to play a game that makes you feel guilty for doing what the game forces you to do, The Shadow of the Colossus is the one. It's actually effective at it, and achieves this without a single word spoken.

Anyway, back to the throat ripping and dog traps and exploding arrows. I'm still really enjoying the combat, especially when it gets messy, as well as the beautifully dilapidated environments. There are some corkers in there, e.g.

the theatre backstage and the aquarium.

Last edited by Golgo; 18-01-2021, 13:17.

Comment

To be honest, I kind of wish ND would get over the whole 'guilt for killing thing'. It feels like it's become a bit of a fixation since people on the internet started moaning about how Nathan Drake kills a lot of people in the games like a psycho. Next thing it's a core part of the tales of every game they knock out. That's fine if there's a specific tale they want to tell but the idea of holding ND's neck on the block over its games encounters was always daft given no-one cares less about all the other dev studios of the world portraying the same. TLOU2 wasn't the game to really ram home the push on guilt because Ellie isn't the right character for that tale, that aspect would have worked better with Joel (possibly as a LOU prequel) where the lead wasn't themselves a product of world they lived in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          To be honest, I kind of wish ND would get over the whole 'guilt for killing thing'. It feels like it's become a bit of a fixation since people on the internet started moaning about how Nathan Drake kills a lot of people in the games like a psycho. Next thing it's a core part of the tales of every game they knock out. That's fine if there's a specific tale they want to tell but the idea of holding ND's neck on the block over its games encounters was always daft given no-one cares less about all the other dev studios of the world portraying the same. TLOU2 wasn't the game to really ram home the push on guilt because Ellie isn't the right character for that tale, that aspect would have worked better with Joel (possibly as a LOU prequel) where the lead wasn't themselves a product of world they lived in yet.
                          I agree completely. They tie themselves in knots with it and it causes some serious plot gaffs. Yesterday's playtime was all about

the tense situation between Abby and Mel. Turns out Mel had been avoiding Abby because she went psycho and bashed Joel's head in with the golf club, and Mel was the caring medic who was repulsed by the violence (never mind that she applied the tourniquet to prolong the torture). So back in the stadium base she's busy laying down the guilts big time by being withdrawn and stand-offish. Anyway, in the flashback to Joel's killing it turns out that it is Mel who was the more bloodthirtsy one, urging that Ellie be killed as well to tie up "loose ends", and Abby puts a stop to this.

Makes little sense.
                          Last edited by Golgo; 19-01-2021, 13:16.

Comment

Started this. 4 hours in and I’m going to wait for a 60fps update or remaster for ps5. The background blurring is straining my eyes so much i can only play an hour at a time, very disappointing.

Comment

So the game just decided on me that everyone in their crazy mushroom-zombie world deserves a bit of love and has dramatized that

by having Abby roughly bent over and done doggy style.

Anyway, moving on...apart from the fighting the thing I'm enjoying most are the environments. The range of them, and the attention to detail, is just astonishing. They're very beautiful in their melancholy, dilapidated way. The shop interiors have become a kind of a fetish for me now and I've been wasting time creating a photographic archive of them. Here are some shops from the Chinatown district of Seattle that I piled through yesterday: a clothes store for traditional Chinese dresses and a Chinese medicine store. Caught in the right light they can look almost like paintings.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                                So the game just decided on me that everyone in their crazy mushroom-zombie world deserves a bit of love and has dramatized that

by having Abby roughly bent over and done doggy style.

That came as a surprise to me too. Would've put money on Abby being a dom but you never can tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X