No announcement yet.

The Last of Us: Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished it last night toward the end of the twenty fourth hour of gameplay. I'll write my final bit up tomorrow and more so settle on a score (how will it fare against Part I's 6/10?). I liked the ending though, whilst not dropping it, it felt like the closing hour or two fumbled the ball somewhat.

I'll leave at that for now.

Comment

My God!! You people clocking sub-25 hour playthroughs have rushed it!!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        My God!! You people clocking sub-25 hour playthroughs have rushed it!!
        I laugh in the face of “sub 25”. 19h 12m, SAS style, in and out.

Comment

finished 22 hours 45 minutes my last save says, i don't feel like i rushed it i scavenged and peed about with safes pretty much upgraded most of the weapons, and got 90% of the collectables, but i tended to be a bit more aggressive and not stealth kill everything towards the later half.

impressions hmm where to start massive spoilers beware

Abby is not likeable her areas where quite good fun but i wasn't rooting for her by the end of her story. I didn't like her as a character and if you took the Lev's bits out she pretty much has no redeeming features whatsoever. It really did feel like they where trying to force you to feel sorry for her so the lev bits where bolted on to make her more vulnerable that and the vertigo. But she pretty much didn't give a **** about any of her friends bar Owen, and she was happy to flip sides at the drop of a hat. They where all pretty much like the douche bag brigade anyway so i'm not sure what naughty dog where thinking with some of the stuff they made you do. Are we supposed to forget she didn't just go out for revenge she tortured and murdering someone at the start of the game in quite a sadistic way, there's bringing someone to justice and revenge then there's revealing in it she also seems to forget she started this chain of events with Ellie.

So at the theatre I let Ellie shoot her to see if i could change the story but i was forced into choosing a side whether i liked it or not. it made the whole encounter feel pretty awkward as I'm beating on a small girl after she just killed some of the characters i was rooting for. It was also pretty obvious both would walk away so really did feel like i was going through the motions just for the sake of it.

So the epilogue chapter while a breath of fresh air felt a little redundant, i really wish i could of spent more of the game here as the slaver camp had a lot of potential, to end it on another forced fight when i knew the outcome would be them both walking away was a tedious way to end it too and felt like a real cop out, it really dose feel like the ending didn't really give either of the characters closure.

Overall i think they lost something in this, the first game had a changing environment and it felt like you where on this epic journey this never felt like that it felt like you where constantly back tracking or retreading old ground and I think that's what dragged it down for me. I remember almost giving up on the first game as it started in broken down skyscrapers which i didn't enjoy exploring, but then we got out of the city and it felt like you where going somewhere, this game barely gets out of its second location and as I said before it really felt like you where just treading water a lot of the time to expand the play-through. I groaned when i had to trek back to the aquarium a second time yes the route was different but the destination was the same and i knew what happend their too, so the mystery was kind of gone which kind of hit the nail on the head for me as to why i didn't enjoy it as much as the first game it all felt so obvious.

but saying all this i couldn't put it down and i had to see it through when it did get out of its own way it managed to feel fresh and new, entering Seattle was epic, we just kind of stayed there to long, the island and the sky bridge really where epic set pieces too. I really enjoyed the epilogue location too i would of happily spent more time on the slavers camp, it really did feel like they could of padded this area out a bit more and shown it to be a bit more of a grizzly place.

Comment

So:

I didn't mind Abbey but I also didn't love her either, her storyline wrapped up feeling overly disjointed from the events of Ellie's three days. I'm pretty sure that when she confronts Ellie in the theatre she only knows about Mel and Owen's deaths and doesn't care about Mel. I don't mind the idea of Abbey feeling like she's struggling with what she did to Joel but the game doesn't sell it, there's some passing bits about her wanting to do a good act as she's done such a bad one but it's done fairly thinly and feels like it's there just to justify the Lev aspect which in turn feels like Abbey goes way to out of her way. But, it's always obvious that the game is about Ellie so I didn't get too hung up on it.

I'd agree that the Aquarium is over used though the skyscraper climb was epic. I wasn't really surprised that both walk away at the end and felt fine enough with the wrap up at the theatre and farm. Santa Barbara though was where the game felt like it let the air out of the bag.

It looks great at first glance but it's a break in tone from rest of the game that exists purely to whack an extra hour or so runtime to the game. The whole sequence also exists purely to have Ellie and Abbey end up exactly where they were in the theatre just to come away with pretty much the same outcome again too. From a massive game that I didn't feel had any real downpoint I found Santa Barbara to be the one sequence that actively detracted from the game. Not in a way that affects my view of the title but I feel you could cut it from the game and you'd arguably have a better experience and the change in setting could have then have been saved for Part III.

Aside from that and some tightening of the Abbey side of things there are still some tweaks I'd like to see from it but it feels a little like pulling threads for the sake of it and unfair to expect more from a game delivering this much, this late on PS4 hardware and therefore mark it down for it.

Therefore, whilst I firmly stand by forever more giving The Last of Us a score of 6/10 I think all things considered the score I'd give The Last of Us Part II would have to be...

Comment

I wish people would spell character names properly.

She's not a monastery

Comment

That's because we don't care about her, not like we do with Elly and Joe

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    That's because we don't care about her, not like we do with Elly and Joe

i think that's the issue here yes naughty dog have crafted this epic story and shown how revenge has destroyed these two peoples lives, its just not as an enjoyable or as cohesive experience as the first game. We had an entire game to bond with Ellie as she had a whole game to tell her story, Abby didn't get that time for us to connect with her. If they had started the game and her story right after the killing off her dad and shown the difficulty she had to go through to keep herself alive we might of felt more protective over her in a similar way we do to Ellie, but making her a beefcake take no crap personality vacuum is a very strange choice.

It's why Clubbing to death a much loved character for the shock value and trying to get us to empathise with Abby is never going to win back over 100% of the audience and I think its why where seeing people completely miss the point of the game and its story because they cant get past the fact of what she did to Joel in the first few hour.

Did anyone think that they where a bit cruel to Ellie at the end too did they really need to take everything from her not only dose she loose the last person that cared about her, she loose her ability to play guitar, which is how she forgave and re-bonded with Joel.

Comment

Second run through complete. Collected and upgraded everything. Platinum earned.

Game of this console generation.

Comment

Second run through complete. Collected and upgraded everything. Platinum earned.

Game of this console generation.
                        Fairplay I still got 3 chapters to go on the first run.Been a roller coaster ride so far

Comment

Second run through complete.
                          How was it teddy? Did it feel good to be more tooled up?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            How was it teddy? Did it feel good to be more tooled up?
                            It felt awesome!

Comment

It felt awesome!
                              I've got to do this too. That second run is begging to be completed but first I need to finish Saints Row III remake on the One X. Its vastly improved over the original with all new texture work and up to 60fps at 4k. I leave the framerate cap on though so it's locked at 30fps.

Im really amazed at how much work went in to this.

Comment

Finished the original 4 times. This feels like it will never end. It's nowhere near as good. But it could have been.

Comment

Working...
                                X