No announcement yet.

The Last of Us: Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be back on it tomorrow as I'm off work for two weeks fecking hallelujah

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      I think I'm in the final quarter and yeah, can't wait to see how it goes down.
      Finished it tonight. Fantastic game with the best acting ever seen in a game. Also, I can't see how the next gen can be much better than this. I don't care for Ray tracing and stuff I have to look for to notice. But this game looked stunning even on a base PS4.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        Finished it tonight. Fantastic game with the best acting ever seen in a game. Also, I can't see how the next gen can be much better than this. I don't care for Ray tracing and stuff I have to look for to notice. But this game looked stunning even on a base PS4.
        Just finished it myself. Talk about above and beyond expectations ... simply couldn't imagine a better sequel. This might be ND at their absolute peak. Amazing.

Comment

Shocked to see no one has given it 0/10 yet as they didn't like the style Ellie's hair was this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            Shocked to see no one has given it 0/10 yet as they didn't like the style Ellie's hair was this time around.
            Man, those people are such sad pathetic dicks. The Last of Us 2 is an amazing game. Great gameplay, great acting, fantastic sound mix and looks amazing. The story was also great.

Comment

Dull cliche story full of very tired and overused tropes, predictable plotting, dull pac-man gameplay, tiresome puzzles, repetitive sequences, very overrated and a disappointment from Naughty Dog generally speaking even though there is just about enough fun to make it through the game overall.

But none of that applies to Part II thankfully. I'm currently a chunk of the way through Abby's Seattle Day 3 at around 22 hours in and the shift to her has been interesting on several fronts.

It's a bold choice for ND to basically make a game that is a standard length SP and then completely switch character to a newcomer for the second half which is itself pretty much the length of a single player title too. Now that I'm far in I've enjoyed seeing the flip side of the coin though of all the characters Abby still feels less likeable than most of the cast and the two Scars she's helping are beginning to feel like a padding storyline because they're so disjointed from the games plot, I expected Abbey's tale to be closer tied to Ellie's but she's oblivious to what's going on even at this point.

What's really impressive is the pacing, even this far in it's surprising how well of a job ND has done at stopping Seattle from becoming too repetitive an environment and Abbey's chapters are probably even better looking than Ellie's. Pretty much the same as in my earlier post, the refinements in this sequel really make a big difference and it feels like Part II is to Part I what UC2 was to the first where the underlying experience is the same but the execution is just next-level.

And the plot - very much a two sided thing this time. It's more backseat which I enjoy, it's obviously still poor by film standard but as an extension of the first game it's handled things well and I appreciate the move away from the immunity storyline which would have been easy to lean on. ND definitely deserves praise for being willing to leverage their success to have the game feature some of the beats that it does too, the initial reveal with Mel was a standout. The only other takeaway is it feels like the previews/reviews have overreached on the aspect of the games commentary on violence. It doesn't really feel like the game has much to say on that at all.

But, in a year where Half-Life returned in celebrated VR form, this is genuinely on course to steal frontrunner for game of the year which is a spectacular about turn coming from the first game

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Dull cliche story full of very tired and overused tropes, predictable plotting, dull pac-man gameplay, tiresome puzzles, repetitive sequences, very overrated and a disappointment from Naughty Dog generally speaking even though there is just about enough fun to make it through the game overall.

But none of that applies to Part II thankfully. I'm currently a chunk of the way through Abby's Seattle Day 3 at around 22 hours in and the shift to her has been interesting on several fronts.

It's a bold choice for ND to basically make a game that is a standard length SP and then completely switch character to a newcomer for the second half which is itself pretty much the length of a single player title too. Now that I'm far in I've enjoyed seeing the flip side of the coin though of all the characters Abby still feels less likeable than most of the cast and the two Scars she's helping are beginning to feel like a padding storyline because they're so disjointed from the games plot, I expected Abbey's tale to be closer tied to Ellie's but she's oblivious to what's going on even at this point.

What's really impressive is the pacing, even this far in it's surprising how well of a job ND has done at stopping Seattle from becoming too repetitive an environment and Abbey's chapters are probably even better looking than Ellie's. Pretty much the same as in my earlier post, the refinements in this sequel really make a big difference and it feels like Part II is to Part I what UC2 was to the first where the underlying experience is the same but the execution is just next-level.

And the plot - very much a two sided thing this time. It's more backseat which I enjoy, it's obviously still poor by film standard but as an extension of the first game it's handled things well and I appreciate the move away from the immunity storyline which would have been easy to lean on. ND definitely deserves praise for being willing to leverage their success to have the game feature some of the beats that it does too, the initial reveal with Mel was a standout. The only other takeaway is it feels like the previews/reviews have overreached on the aspect of the games commentary on violence. It doesn't really feel like the game has much to say on that at all.

But, in a year where Half-Life returned in celebrated VR form, this is genuinely on course to steal frontrunner for game of the year which is a spectacular about turn coming from the first game
                Oh man, I was about to go off on a rant until I continued

Comment

It's so hard to pinpoint what makes the key difference but coming from being somewhat letdown by UC4 and TLOU this one really has nailed it for them again

Comment

[MENTION=2386]Family Fry[/MENTION]. Please tell me that you mis-voted? 1/10?!

Comment

I’m just joshing, I genuinely thought you could change the vote after voting, my memory has failed me though.
                      I’ll plop a rank in when I’ve played it, probably give it a 2 or 3

Comment

Gone through the highs and lows with this was, I was absolutely loving it when i got to Seattle but then tonally the whole game took a massive down shift to gloomy and miserable. I’ll be honest here I’m not a massive fan of misery simulators and i think as a whole I’ve spent far too much time stumbling about inside broken buildings that feel like I’m being shunted through them just to pad out the run time, there is no way to avoid clearly set up **** ups too yeah lets push this heavy truck over the obviously rotten floor, I fell through It did I? yeah that sounds about right. But then it pulls you back in with another fantastic set peace and another new location and i come back round to enjoying it again its bizarre how it can draw you back in.

What I have found odd though is at about the half way mark

when you find out that Elie knew Joel murdered everyone in the hospital it makes even less sense for her to pick her way through the group like she is doing. It also feels like them coming after Joel was warranted as he murdered countless innocent people’s friends and family. It feels super obvious to me that Joel murdered family of the main enemy too why else would she of been so hell bent on revenge

Comment

I am pretty much at the end and to be honest have probably had enough, as its starting to feel abit bloated now. Wasn’t a fan of the walking simulator bits and some hokum story elements, but the urban exploration, set pieces, gameplay mechanics and superb graphics/more than make up for it. Still would give it a 9/10.

Be interesting to see what they do with the ps5 version; I think there is huge scope for huge technical improvements- here’s hoping for a 4k (or as close to possible) presentation, 60 FPS, with more detail in draw distances/more FOV options. Infact I hope the extra grunt tidies up a few of the effects, as the some flowing water and foliage movement looked abit ropey at times, along with some lower res assets. I am beginning to think they insisted on the grain filter into try and disguise certain limitations.

Comment

I was just thinking i could save an absoulte **** ton of ammo if i had some wire snips and a grappling hook surely going into an abanodend zombie filled building should be a last resort not your first port of call.

And Yup i was right

Joel Killed Abbys dad called it, and now they go and Raiden me, i couldnt give two ****s about seeing the story from Abbys point of view guess im gonna be stuck here a while too looking at all the upgrade trees and collectable coins This game really dose abuse the players goodwill in a lot of ways, heading to the same loacation again, but from a difffrent perspective it took me an age to get there the first time,

Comment

[MENTION=960]Lebowski[/MENTION] You need to keep an open mind. It's about to get soooooo wild!!!

Comment

Yeah, I don't really want to post up my (lengthy) thoughts on the game until the dust settles on it a bit, there's much to discuss!

Comment

Working...
                                X