Let us talk CAPCOM CPS Titles of Yesteryear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us talk CAPCOM CPS Titles of Yesteryear

So back in the day of the 8 bit an 16 bit computers these CPS games were like the Holy Grail, especially after numerous flawed conversations by US Gold.

Occasionally, a great version would come out like Strider on the Megadrive or UN Squadron on the SNES that lived up or surpassed expectations as elements improved dramatically on home consoles, with Capcom programming most of them in house. Having the exact coin op experience in your home was always slightly out of reach of home 16 bit hardware however...

I have been enjoying playing the CPSI titles on my new retro handheld, most specifically my all-time favourite UN Squadron, with the arcade version being very different from the SNES classic, and Carrier Airwing that was never converted to any home system.

I always wanted Capcom to do a rejig of Carrier Airwing ala UN Squadron late into the consoles life for the SNES like 1994/95/96, but alas they just did not get around to it, milking Streetfighter into the ground instead. Plus no two-player options on home console either.

Still absolutely my top horizontal shooter, the smoothness and design of these titles with the art and level construction plus customisable arsenals and plane choice on the SNES version. Plus the bosses and varied environments were magnificent.

#

Plus you got your orders from Admiral Sean Connery in the sequel!

I could easily play sequels of these shooters from Capcom for years, they really should release a third version for more powerful consoles in HD considering the nostalgia boom is in full swing. It even states on wiki that In Japan, Game Machine listed Carrier Air Wing on their December 1, 1990 issue as being the most-successful table arcade unit of the year, outperforming titles such as Raiden and Columns II so it is surprising another game in the series was not released.

So what are your memories and favourite titles from CPSI and CPSII?
    Last edited by CAPCOM; 20-06-2020, 13:58.

Did you get an RG350M as well then? Seems like everyone here has got one. I’m well jell and pining for one myself. Money’s a bit tight at the mo given the whole C19 thang.

Comment

Next month, I am assuming the 350M does CPSII though... Just using the PAPK3 for UN Squadron and Carrier Airwing (was the chief reason I bought it) works great plus the widescreen actually is a benefit for these titles...

Here is a cool review of Carrier Airwing...

There are a lot of 1 credit completion videos for both UN Squadron and Carrier Airwing out there as well.
      Last edited by CAPCOM; 20-06-2020, 21:14.

Comment

Ah right, I’ve got a GP2X Wiz which ain’t half bad for a handheld that I’ve had for about 12 years now...

Comment

All 33 CPSI games

All 41 CPSII games

All 6 CPSIII games

Last edited by CAPCOM; 19-06-2020, 19:17.

Comment

CPS-1
            Final Fight
            Ghouls 'n Ghosts
            Magic Sword
            Pang
            Street Fighter 2 Turbo
            Strider
            The Punisher(CPS DASH)
            Three Wonders
            UN Squadron
            Willow

CPS-2
            Aliens vs. Predator
            Armored Warriors
            Battle Circuit
            Dungeons & Dragons(Both)
            Eco Fighters
            Night Warriors
            Street Fighter Zero 3
            Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
            X-Men: Children of the Atom

These stand out as my favourite games for CPS 1 & 2.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-06-2020, 07:39.

Comment

I played through Midnight Wanderers for the first time ever just this week and it is quite solid and longer than expected. Had fond memories of this one as played it in an arcade in the 90s. Art style is really nice. Will make a point of getting through Chariot this week.

Comment

Pro Gear and Eco Fighters are horizontal shooters that are on my PAPK3 although there is not a complete list of CPS I and II for some reason.

Progear's art style is overtly Metal Slug and mechanical crossed with Steel Empire and Laputa which is cool. Eco Fighters looks great as well in honesty. Will tackle these this week as only played them in arcade decades ago.

Now I want to play In the Hunt!
                Last edited by CAPCOM; 20-06-2020, 11:11.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post

Now I want to play In the Hunt!
                  I remember really liking the Saturn version back in the day. It not only offered a distinct twist on the shoot 'em up genre, but also had really impressive graphics.

Comment

Apparently there was a working SNES version shown at a winter or summer CES. Never knew that.
                    Last edited by CAPCOM; 20-06-2020, 22:47.

Comment

Lost count of how many times I've 1cc'd Area88/UN Squadron

I still think it's better on Arcade than SNES.

Comment

I played through the CPS version this week and enjoyed it in a different way, more direct less tactical, no quartermaster levels and an alternative coin-op feel obviously. Always stuck with the original F8E plane then upgraded straight to the YF23 or F200 for later levels on the SNES so the plane selection was sort of null and void as an option. F20 and F14D too similar and the A10 not enough firepower for the endgame.

I really want a finale to the trilogy now in all honesty. I am surprised nobody has tried to make a homebrew or Kickstarter CPS style title.
                        Last edited by CAPCOM; 21-06-2020, 13:21.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post

Apparently there was a working SNES version shown at a winter or summer CES. Never knew that.
                          I also didn't know that. But I can imagine it wouldn't have worked well with such a weak CPU. They would have had to cut things down quite a bit. I'm glad it ended up being a really nice gem for 32-bit consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                            Lost count of how many times I've 1cc'd Area88/UN Squadron

I still think it's better on Arcade than SNES.
                            I used to be SNES > Coin-op but now I agree with you.

Would've loved a home port of US Navy/Carrier Air Wing though.

Comment

Working...
                            X