No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 140: Arcades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The R360 was fantastic; I definitely played on one (G-Loc) when I was a kid, but I can't quite remember where. It was at a theme park, or something like that. It was really something, though it bruised my shoulders; they were black and blue the following day.

I seem to remember it being a fiver for the few minutes you played it; my mother rolled her eyes at first but I was insistent - what I remember though was afterwards, she was smiling as much as I was; she was really impressed by the thing and hadn't realised that it freely spun to all angles.

Comment

As Shinobi says and I know TA has mentioned it, those gaming pods would be great in VR.
      Let's Go Jungle, Star Wars, Gundam and Mach Storm.

Sega were sods for this.
      Shadow Dancer and E-SWAT were different (possibly better) on the MD, as Shinobi and NE said.
      Ribbit
      Riot City
      Bay Route
      Alien 3: The Gun
      Segasonic The Hedgehog

Comment

I'm pretty sure I played the R360 at Mr. B's in Blackpool.

Some other games I don't think got home conversions:
        Gang Wars

Ah, looks like this came to PSP and PS3

Aliens

Aliens Vs. Predator

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Aliens Vs. Predator
          Capcom have a £200 plug-in joystick that they would like to sell to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Capcom have a £200 plug-in joystick that they would like to sell to you!
            I went with the Bandai NAMCO Entertainment plug-in joystick and I stand by my decision.

Comment

Gaelco's World Rally - sorry to all the Neo Drift Out fans, but while that game is more impressive on a technical level, World Rally has absolutely flawless control and is the king of all isometric racing games. There's also a sequel but the first is a bit better.

Comment

Kaneko's Great 1000 Mile Rally - sorry to all Gaelco World Rally fans, but while the game is more impressive on a technical level, Great 1000 Mile Rally has absolutely flawless control and is the king of all isometric racing games. There's also a sequel but the first is a bit better.

Comment

Childhood arcades to me evokes only one overriding memory:

Blackpool Arcades

From 10p Operation Wolf machines, the Star Wars cabinet, Chase HQ etc through then to seeing for the first time a Virtua Racing unit there, Virtua Cop, the full sized using a car Ridge Racer etc. It's crushing to see how little of an actual arcade presence exists these days where it's hard to find much of a present day nature outside of a small pocket of machines buried in Coral Island (though I appreciate it for giving me the chance to play Luigi's Mansion Arcade)

Comment

Erm....Mega Drive did get Shadow Dancer, albeit a version that was markedly changed from the coin-op. Same with E-SWAT.

Funnily enough, it was the Master System that got more arcade-faithful ports of Shadow Dancer and E-SWAT.
                    I did say which games were converted or not, and the MD game was obviously not a conversion at all of the arcade. The Master System also got the original Shinobi which I guess they assumed was too old to put on the MD.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Kaneko's Great 1000 Mile Rally - sorry to all Gaelco World Rally fans, but while the game is more impressive on a technical level, Great 1000 Mile Rally has absolutely flawless control and is the king of all isometric racing games. There's also a sequel but the first is a bit better.
                      Disagree, looks better but handling is more floaty.

Comment

Originally posted by paulus View Post
                        I've always hoped that Segas Wild Riders would be converted

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...NJ8wJaJsHUxZyj
                        I think the key reason it wasn't is the short length of the game - it's only about 8 minutes long from memory. It's the only game I've ever completed on my first go (the credits rolled and everything). Good though!

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                          I did say which games were converted or not, and the MD game was obviously not a conversion at all of the arcade. The Master System also got the original Shinobi which I guess they assumed was too old to put on the MD.
                          Not a 1:1 conversion, but elements of the coin-op are still there in MD Shadow Dancer. My point stands.

The original Shinobi coin-op was only a year old when the Mega Drive was released so I doubt age had all that much to do with it not getting ported.
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-06-2020, 15:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                            Disagree, looks better but handling is more floaty.
                            I was being silly, really.

I love all those isometric racing games and it's a shame none of them got a home conversion.
                            Neo Drift-Out is a bit of an exception, but I'd never have been able to afford the cart, let alone the console!

Comment

Not a 1:1 conversion, but elements of the coin-op are still there in MD Shadow Dancer. My point stands.

The original Shinobi coin-op was only a year old when the Mega Drive was released so I doubt age had all that much to do with it not getting ported.
                              It's not a conversion. I don't usually find issue with what you write, so your point can stand as if we're in an episode of L.A Law.

Comment

Working...
                              X