Blasphemous - [PC/NSW/PS4/XB1]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blasphemous - [PC/NSW/PS4/XB1]

My biggest disappointment searching for this thread wasn't just that no-one has played this game, but that seemingly no-one has even posted a first play thread for a game that is any way blasphemous. You people disappoint me.

Cutting to the chase: it's a 2D metroidvania game that borrows a lot of ideas (bonfires, tracking back to your body on death, parry and dodge heavy combat, lore-heavy item descriptions...) from Dark Souls. It's got strong, grotesque religious imagery throughout, and the combat is pretty brutal from a visual standpoint. So far it's not been as tough as you might think, but I figure I'm only about halfway through so far, so that might all change.

I played the demo and I really liked it.
    I think it was in a sale, but nobody had played it.
    Glad you're enjoying it!

Comment

It's definitely one that I think a lot of people would like. You could argue the gameplay is a little derivative, but it all works and the aesthetic they've chosen for it really stands out. I'm only late to the party on account of waiting for a physical version, but I'd certainly recommend it for the next time the digital version is on sale.

Comment

I started playing it a few months back, and will get back to it soon. I made about two-three hours' progress and really enjoyed it. It's definitely Souls-like in the sense you have to maintain your focus on every encounter, but the Metroidvania was the factor that attracted me. I bought it on sale, and would definitely recommend it from what I played - it's tough, but really good.

Comment

Just finished it now. It's pretty good, folks! I checked a guide right near the end to make sure I hadn't missed anything too important, and thankfully it steered me to the proper ending (which in turn steered me to YouTube to make sense of it all).

I found that the Switch had a couple of weird slow-down issues and dropped inputs, but nearly every time this seemed to be while bringing the system out of hibernation. Resetting definitely helped.

Comment

Started this on Switch a couple of days ago. It's glorious. The Spanish-Moorish architecture, landscapes and music are wonderful, and the authentically creepy gruesomeness they derive from the Catholic theme, relics and ceremonials is really something else - makes the lore of the Soulsbornes look quite child-friendly. On that matter, the executions are hilariously over the top. Very much enjoying the pace of combat, too.

Comment

Oh I would highly recommend turning on the Spanish dub, the devs hired cast from the same region the game takes place, it really does add to the atmosphere of the game. Such a good game.

Comment

Currently on sale at GOG.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                  Oh I would highly recommend turning on the Spanish dub, the devs hired cast from the same region the game takes place, it really does add to the atmosphere of the game. Such a good game.
                  Done. It makes a big difference.

Comment

Finished this now. Great game. Bosses were excellent and ick, although one of the DLC bosses

(Isodora)

kicked my butt for the longest time. Atmosphere and environments were terrific throughout, and the writing was exceptional - all the way down to the creepy item descriptions. Very Souls-like in that regard but even more poignant, moving and creepy given the more plausible setting in Catholic iconography. Easily one of the best Metroidvania type games, in my view, along with Axiom Verge and Guacamelee. Should mention the ambient sound, too, which had an incredible amount of care poured into it, even down to the echo of your character's footfall on different surfaces.

Comment

Working...
                    X