The 30 Day Movie Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 16 - Best movie from a franchise

Tricky to say as there's a lot to love in most franchises, without one clear standout. Bond, Terminator, Die Hard, LotR, Matrix, Mad Max, Star Wars, Marvel, Rocky, Batman, Planet of the Apes, Godzilla, Ocean's 11, Indiana Jones, BttF and so on.
    Either the sequels pale to the original or you feel even if the sequels are better, they still needed the initial film.

I guess Tokyo Drift stands out over the other F&F films.

I think the Bourne Identity stands head and shoulders above the sequels. As I mentioned earlier, the sequels undo the character development of the first film (killing characters does that), but also the decision to use shakycam to make the trademark action sequences more dramatic was a mistake IMHO.
    The second film sees Bourne fighting in a kitchen and it's so close-up and shaky, you can't see what's going on. Compare that with the "Biro" fight in the orignal. Likewise the original's Mini chase is brilliant, but the sequel's was just a load of close up shots of changing gears. Gutted when the same action director moved over to Bond and more migraine inducing shots were used.

The third film sees a rooftop chase on foot, which I guess I can understand shaking to show the frenetic nature of the chase, but even "still" shots go nuts.

Comment

Day 16:

I too will go with Last Crusade. Easily the best one. It's just a movie based on every mode of transport. Car, bike, horse, boat, zeppelin, plane and tank. Any others?

Edit: Train at the start...

Comment

Day 17 - Blue Velvet

Frank Booth is a great villain. Stuff of nightmares.

Comment

Day 17 - The T-800
          Relentless, brutal and unforgettable... and then just as memorable and effective when role switched into a hero character in the subsequent films. It's actually a shame that T3-6 never really properly utilised him as a villain again.

Comment

Day 17:

Really tough one. I find most villains to be lacking. Hanz Gruber is a good one. He's likable and a dick at the same time.

Ramsay Bolton from game of thrones is hands down the biggest son of a bitch ever. I've never hated a character more in my life. But he's not from a film so I can't really pick him.

Comment

Day 16

Starship Troopers (1997)

Day 17

Going to bend the rules but choose an actor instead.

Alan Rickman. Always really liked him in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Snape and Gruber too, obviously.

Comment

Aside from the ones mentioned and the obvious ones like Vader, Joker or Agent Smith (love his "disease" monologue), maybe JK Simmons in Whiplash, Christopher Waltz in Basterds, Philip Seymour Hoffman in M:I 3 and Brick Top in Snatch.

Maybe Gary Oldman in Leon?

Comment

Lotso Huggin' Bear in Toy Story 3.
                  Grandpa Joe in Willy Wonka.

Comment

Day 18 - The Shining

No contest here. The fact it's not overly explained makes it even more effective. That slow approach along with the haunting sound of Midnight and the Stars and You is perfection.

Apparently they posed with the Gold Room extras for this photo but Kubrick wasn't happy so they doctored a real pic from the 1920s to include Nicholson. The authenticity is clear. Some things can't be recreated.

Comment

Day 18:

The one that jumps to mind is Thelma and Louise. It's pretty iconic.

Comment

Day 18: Without thinking too hard about it, my mind is telling me They Live!

Comment

Day 18 - The Green Mile
                          Still hurts

Comment

Day 19 - To Kill a Mockingbird / Atticus Finch

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Day 19 - To Kill a Mockingbird / Atticus Finch
                              He is named after you!

Comment

Ash - Army of Darkness.

Comment