The Nintendo 64 has aged surprisingly well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    You mean the physical console? I mean, it would be strange if it didn't; it has no moving parts!

Silly!

Comment

GameCube would win, that handle means you can swing it like a champ with its solid build you can totally put someone in hospital with one lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
        It’s the reason why I picked another N64 up. It’s criminal that it’s still locked to the system.
        No, its makes the N64 all that more special and worth owning, just like its Joypad

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I miss being able to play Pilotwings 64 Wish Nintendo had made it available on VC or something.
          The absence of Pilotwings 64 from the Wii VC library was but one of many, many f**k-ups Nintendo made with the VC concept in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            Fogging, low res and blurry graphics was a hallmark of a lot of a N64 apart from Mario 64. Gameplay won through and as a 2nd system, I really loved my N64. I enjoyed Pliotwings 64 more than Mario 64, GoldenEye was incredible and I was one of the few who loved Mario Kart 64; I loved its handling model and how the karts actually looked like karts.
            Yeah, the N64 had its own bad points like all 3D machines from that era did. At least some devs managed to lessen the severity of the fog and blurriness.

It's funny how Nintendo & RARE games look much nicer than third party titles. Was there really a secret 'microcode' that Nintendo kept to themselves?

The N64 had lots of truly bad games, but the best titles were something special. They offered something different away from the PS1 and Saturn. I have really fond memories of enjoying the N64 back in the day. I still like Star Fox 64, Wave Race, F-Zero X and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              Yeah, the N64 had its own bad points like all 3D machines from that era did.
              You know things were bad even back in the day when one needed to have a mod not to play import games, but to get an half decent display out of the system and even with an RGB Mod the N64 stuff suffered from washed-out graphics and blurry display. Going with Cart really hurt too with hardly any Arcade ports and no shooters or even light gun games.

I still loved the system mind Pilotwings, Mario Kart64 and Wave Race were truly epic

Comment

Anyone with access just boot up 1080 and turn the music off. It's incredibly immersive while being minimal. Among the best use of audio from that era. It's just snow and wind, but the way it dynamically mixes with relation to speed is pure perfection.

Then you have the stark horizon backdrops and that gorgeous winter lens flare.

Comment

You know things were bad even back in the day when one needed to have a mod not to play import games, but to get an half decent display out of the system and even with an RGB Mod the N64 stuff suffered from washed-out graphics and blurry display. Going with Cart really hurt too with hardly any Arcade ports and no shooters or even light gun games.
                  It's weird how so many N64 games did look muddy and "washed out", but games from Nintendo & RARE often looked vibrant and colourful. Nintendo really should have helped third party devs get more out of the system.

As much as all N64 games did have a soft looking image, some of them looked nice on a decent CRT. I remember thinking Nintendo's own games always looked vibrant and impressive.

I still loved the system mind Pilotwings, Mario Kart64 and Wave Race were truly epic
                  I'd add Mario 64, 1080, GoldenEye, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie and Star Fox 64 to the list. All of them really impressed me.

Wave Race 64 is still my favourite N64 game. I love how it plays, plus the upbeat music and vibrant graphics. It always hooks me when I go back to it.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-07-2020, 08:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    It's weird how so many N64 games did look muddy and "washed out", but games from Nintendo & RARE often looked vibrant and colourful. Nintendo really should have helped third party devs get more out of the system.

Rare games had it and a lot of NCL games also suffered from it bar Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. It seems it was a issue with the graphics chipset.

I'd add Mario 64, 1080, GoldenEye, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie and Star Fox 64 to the list
                    Couldn't getinto the Banjo games myself. Pilowings 64 was worth buying the system for. I enjoyed Star Fox 64 and GoldenEye was incredible and also one of the few N64 games to have half decent audio. Really loved Blast Corps, Conkers is still for me the best 3D platform game ever made . Loved the Turok games and the likes of Forsaken 64 and I might be own my own but loved Killer Instinct on the N64 at the time I thought the game looked and sounded increabile

Rare and Acclaim were really awesome on the system

Comment

If you use a deblur mod along with an RGB unit to a nice crt pvm/bvm, n64 games look fantastic - it quite a bit of effort though

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        Anyone with access just boot up 1080 and turn the music off. It's incredibly immersive while being minimal. Among the best use of audio from that era. It's just snow and wind, but the way it dynamically mixes with relation to speed is pure perfection.

Then you have the stark horizon backdrops and that gorgeous winter lens flare.
                        Aww, I love 1080's music though! It's like a time capsule.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Aww, I love 1080's music though! It's like a time capsule.
                          Agreed.

And literally the excuse I needed to post this banger!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                            If you use a deblur mod along with an RGB unit to a nice crt pvm/bvm, n64 games look fantastic - it quite a bit of effort though
                            Yeah, that setup does wonders with the N64. A deblur N64 through an upscaler also looks good on a decent LCD.

I guess a new OLED screen might do a great job with a scaler.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                              Agreed.

And literally the excuse I needed to post this banger!

it's a song and just good advice

Comment

Still think this is the best music on the N64

Comment

Working...
                                X