Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 3

Castle of Illusion
    F-Zero
    Gunstar Heroes
    Super Mario Kart
    Parodius Da!
    UN Squadron

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-07-2020, 00:25.

For me:

Castle of Illusion - this game is truly magical and captures the spirit of Disney like no other game.

Super Mario Kart - the single best multiplayer experience on any platform, ever.

Parodius - has to be the PCE version for me, though, as I find it so much more colourful and love the bouncy chip tune music. The PCE’s finest hour.

I know, right? No Gunstar Heroes... criminal.

Comment

It's tough because if I'm treating them like desert island games, I'm probably not going to take 2 shooters or 2 racing games... hmm let's see.

What would I just rather play nowadays....

Super Mario Kart - Yeah, even now, this game still stands up.

Parodius Da! - I love Gradius. I love UN Squadron, but Parodius puts a smile on my face with it's colours and music.

Gunstar Heroes - I've not really played this that much, but I know it's technically amazing. So, I would like to give this more time to truly understand why it got the praise it did.

Comment

All good games but this is an easy one for me.

F-Zero - My favourite in the series. I still remember seeing this on my uncles Super Famicom in black and white way back when and I still boot it up every now and then to run through it.

Super Mario Kart - My favourite, or possibly second favourite next to MK8 now. How many times did I wipe my save as a child so I could earn all of the trophies again?

Castle of Illusion - One of the GOAT platformers. Its drop dead gorgeous, sounds great and plays great. I adore this game, and the SMS version.

Comment

I'm with Cepp on this one ...

F-Zero - The original and best. The game that made me buy a Super Nintendo. I remember playing it for months on end ... that and SMW. They were great days.

Super Mario Kart - What I loved about this was the different levels it could be played at. Deceptively deep.

Castle of Illusion - Proper magical platformer. Going to have to have another play through on the MD Mini.

Comment

The music in Castle of Illusion is wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

Castle of Illusion - this game is truly magical and captures the spirit of Disney like no other game.
              Yeah, it really captures the magic of early Disney. Everything about it is spot on.

I know, right? No Gunstar Heroes... criminal.

You're under arrest.

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              Parodius Da! - I love Gradius. I love UN Squadron, but Parodius puts a smile on my face with it's colours and music.
              I also really like UN Squadron, but I'd choose Parodius because I really love the wacky design and how it plays.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post

F-Zero - My favourite in the series. I still remember seeing this on my uncles Super Famicom in black and white way back when and I still boot it up every now and then to run through it.
              I'll also never forget seeing it for the first time -- the graphics looked absolutely incredible for a home system. The quality of the catchy tunes also impressed me. It's a great in all areas -- and stands the test of time really well. I love how it still feels silky smooth to play.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
              Super Mario Kart - My favourite, or possibly second favourite next to MK8 now. How many times did I wipe my save as a child so I could earn all of the trophies again?
              I think MK8 is a brilliant game, but I also appreciate what SMK offers. They're such different experiences that I enjoy both. SMK has its own unique qualities that still makes it relevant next to all the console sequels. Super Circuit for the GBA is the only other entry in the series that feels like SMK.

It's still one of my go-to retro games.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

F-Zero - The original and best. The game that made me buy a Super Nintendo. I remember playing it for months on end ... that and SMW. They were great days.
              F-Zero is easily my 'most played' SNES game over the years. There's something extra special about the whole experience that never fails to grip me.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Super Mario Kart - What I loved about this was the different levels it could be played at. Deceptively deep.
              Yeah, you can get really good at SMK. There's a lot of room to hone your skills.

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              The music in Castle of Illusion is wonderful.

Fills me with nostalgia.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-07-2020, 12:24.

Comment

Super Mario Kart
                F-Zero
                Gunstar Heroes

Never got the love for Castle of Illusion. It's definitely solid and a competent game especially for a Disney title but I always found it to be pretty bland.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  Never got the love for Castle of Illusion. It's definitely solid and a competent game especially for a Disney title but I always found it to be pretty bland.
                  Well, it's definitely a more sedate, subtle experience next to frenetic platformers that are full of colour and over-the-top action. I can see why that might turn some people off. But lots of people find it really charming and fun to play through. As much as I love the Sonic MD games, I also like what Disney games like Castle of Illusion and QuackShot offer.

Comment

My choices:

F-Zero: It has a timeless quality that keeps me coming back for more and more. Love the graphics and soundtrack.
                    Super Mario Kart: I like how the tight race tracks help to make this feel like real go-karting. One of my go-to retro games.
                    Parodius Da!: The colourful visuals, catchy music, and overall crazy design always make this a joy to play through.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-07-2020, 18:17.

Comment

The votes so far:

Super Mario Kart: 5 votes
                      F-Zero: 3 votes
                      Castle of Ilusion: 3 votes
                      Parodius Da!: 2 votes
                      Gunstar Heroes: 2 votes
                      UN Squadron: 0 votes
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-07-2020, 18:16.

Comment

When these are all done are you going to compile a Champion of Champions Edition with R-Type, Daytona, SMK etc?

Comment

F-Zero - Looking at the screen shots in Mean Machines made me want this game and the system and its still incredible fun to play today

Mickey Mouse COI - I remember this coming out around the same time as John Madden on the MD and just had a wonderful time with both games. Really was one of the 1st games those show off the power of the Mega Drive and was just a fantastic platform game, so well made and designed.

Mario Kart - It's aged terrible but back in the day loved the battles me my brother and my next door neighbour had on this . Used to like viewing the best times on Gameworld and trying to match/beat them too.

Comment

When these are all done are you going to compile a Champion of Champions Edition with R-Type, Daytona, SMK etc?
                            Yeah, a Best of the Best competition.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            F-Zero - Looking at the screen shots in Mean Machines made me want this game and the system and its still incredible fun to play today
                            Yeah, those screenshots -- and all the other Super Famicom shots -- were incredible eye candy.

Really was one of the 1st games those show off the power of the Mega Drive and was just a fantastic platform game, so well made and designed.
                            I loved how it captured the Disney vibe perfectly. Such a well crafted game in all areas.

Mario Kart - It's aged terrible
                            Maybe it's because I've been playing it for so many years... but it still feels perfectly fine to me. I still enjoy what it offers.

I remember how much of a big thing it was back in the day -- every person I showed it to wanted to buy a copy, or a SNES so they could play it at home. It's easily one of the greatest games of the 16-bit era.

Comment

Parodius da is my favourite from those.

Never played UN and have barely played Gunstar.

Love F-Zero and really like 8-bit ports of Castle of Illusion, so they're my two and three.

I can't bear SMK. Never liked it, even back in the early 90s.

Comment

Working...
                              X