No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 143: Wipeout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega's western marketing kept talking about how cool Sega was. How much cooler they were than Nintendo. It kind of worked.

Sony's marketing actually displayed how cool AND adult they were through pure proof and action.

This is why the UK's general/mainstream console progression was NES > Mega Drive > PlayStation. The best marketing always wins.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      The most notable absentee was CoLD SToRAGE, who contributed more to the game than any other artist.
      I remember what must be ages ago, probably not long after the PS1 days, being in contact with Tim Wright who is CoLD SToRAGE and he sent me a CDR of all kinds of Wipeout track versions and demos from those days. It was fantastic. I still have it somewhere buried in a box.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        Sega's western marketing kept talking about how cool Sega was. How much cooler they were than Nintendo. It kind of worked.

Sony's marketing actually displayed how cool AND adult they were through pure proof and action.

This is why the UK's general/mainstream console progression was NES > Mega Drive > PlayStation. The best marketing always wins.
        I've always wanted to be a ninja throwing shurikens at robots than a plumber jumping on turtles.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        I remember what must be ages ago, probably not long after the PS1 days, being in contact with Tim Wright who is CoLD SToRAGE and he sent me a CDR of all kinds of Wipeout track versions and demos from those days. It was fantastic. I still have it somewhere buried in a box.
        Man, you have contacts everywhere!

Comment

I don't know him or anything! I just got in contact back in the day to ask him some questions about his music and he was kind enough to send me that. A really nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I've always wanted to be a ninja throwing shurikens at robots than a plumber jumping on turtles.
            Exactly. That's the power of the image. Ninjas are infinitely more cool than plumbers, although there isn't a single ninja throughout the entire history of video gaming that can move like Mario.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

I think it was Master System > Mega Drive > PlayStation.

The Master System was much more popular than the NES in the UK. I guess people preferred the look of Sega's console, the advertising, and the completely different games catalogue. I remember kids having the Master System MK2 in the early '90s.

The SNES was a popular machine in the UK & Europe though, so Nintendo competed well against Sega. Sega's brilliant advertising and games like Sonic made the Mega Drive a huge thing.

I've always thought it was a shame that Sega dropped the ball with the Saturn, even if it sold well in Japan.

Comment

Big fan of Wipeout as a whole.

Wipeout:
                This is the game that sold me the PlayStation. I was already interested because of Ridge Racer, my favourite arcade Racer but when I played this on demo in early September, I was blown to bits. Everything was in perfect harmony. It was challenging, beautiful and sounded amazing.

Strangely though, I chose Tekken as the game to get with PS1 for Xmas is 95, but that was because I knew Wipeout at least had a demo so I had more stuff to play.

Once I got it though, I loved it. The tracks are still beautiful today and he graphics, despite a bit of popup, hold up so well. I still also love the gameplay and the difficulty of it, though I appreciate all of the negative sides too, such as the weapons are an afterthought really.

I adore this game, to this day.

2097:
                Got this for Xmas in 96 with SF Alpha 2 and absolutely loved it. It's better than the original all around. Sounds better, looks amazing with its own style. Improved gameplay and suits beginners and experts alike.

I still think this has the best engine noise and sound effects in the series. Especially things like the rumble of thunder on Gare de Europe.

Wipeout 64:
                Got this on release, it's kinda ok but also a but crap. The super weapons are horrible and the game gets worse as you progress. Also the tracks are all just mirrored of the first two games, lazy as ****.

But it looks pretty good and runs ok. It's not bad, but it's not great.

Wipeout 3:
                Got this on release and didn't like it at all. It played well but it felt lifeless.
                Tried it again and again and tried to appreciate it but couldn't. Very disappointed.

But in the interest of being objective, I tried and tried and tried and [MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION] bought me a JP copy as a gift. Now, I absolutely love it and perhaps would objectively suggest it's the best one.

It has so much content, especially in SE form. The graphics are fantastic, a technical marvel. And the gameplay is super, with much more natural and less drone like AI.

Bad points, soundtrack is not quite there but still ok. Under the Influence is so horrible, ugh. Also the overall craft noise lacks impact and has poor volume balance. Too many defensive weapons also.

But it's fantastic.

Fusion:
                Picked this up on release and absolutely loved it. It looked like next gen Wipeout, 60fps, fantastic music too.
                Weapons are improved too and they sound great.

But, it's glitchy, the presentation is awful and the handling isn't quite anti gravity enough. I definitely understand the detractors and even agree with them but I like many things it does, particularly the off road sections and general track design.

Pure:
                Very much enjoyed this one, handling felt great. Sound was good (not the music though) and the tracks were excellent. A great game, even better when PSP Overclocked.

Pulse:
                Less enjoyable, felt a bit sterile and a very disappointing PS2 port. But still playable.

HD/Fury:
                I don't like the visual style but it plays so well and the zone modes are amazing with custom audio, as the equaliser pulses in time with the best.

Omega:
                Decent enough but no custom audio integration that's easy. But the VR mode is so cooooool.

Comment

I'm out of the game for a while until I get one of the new GPUs. I hope I don't become too rusty. My last personal best contained a lap time which would bring me world #1 if I could string five of them together on one sitting, so that's the new bench mark.

Comment

I found a few images of some of my Wipeout Pulse designs today.

Comment

2097 on PS1 is deffo one of my fave games of all time. I can still play it now. What a game.

I even caned the PAL Saturn and N64* versions. Absolutely adore 2097, everything about it.

*it was a weird, difficult hybrid version so not sure if it counts. Great game though! I always selected "Bang On" by The Propellerheads as my choon of choice!!!!!!

Comment

POTEMPKIN!!!

Comment

^btw, is it just my mind or did they misspell it that way??? I know it should be "POTEMKIN" but I have a memory they misspelt it!

Can someone ease the pain??!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X