Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 4

Power Drift
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Streets of Rage 2
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Virtua Racing

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.

Streets of Rage 2.
    Bare Knuckle II.
    Streets of Rage 2 (variant packaging).

Comment

1) Power Drift - SEGA's most amazing Arcade racer. It was like being in a rollercoaster

2) Mario IV - Still to this day the most perfect 2D platform game ever made

3) Super Metroid - Amazing level design and a game that really showed how much music can add to the experience. I remember at the time being slightly depressed at how much better NCL were than SEGA for the consumer with games like this LOL

Comment

Ah you’re killing me this time. I can’t drop Super Metroid, CAN’T DROP. I might have to...

Need to think about this one. Power Drift and Virtua Racing are both great but they’re getting the chop for me.

I’ll be back.

Comment

Streets of Rage 2 by a country mile, it's not even close.
          Super Mario World
          Virtua Racing

Comment

I've not played Metroid, SFII Turbo plays too fast to be fun for me and Power Drift is ace, but a bit noisy compared to VR.

I find Super Mario World a little clunky to play, to be honest. It's not fun trying to wrestle Yoshi to do the jumps you want. I think I'm the only person in the universe who thinks that, but I like it but don't love it, like I do Galaxy, Land and Odyssey. It's one of my choices though.

Virtua Racing felt like a taste of the future when I played it in the arcade. The buttons to choose the view were so immersive.
            Shame it never made it to the 3DS, even though Sega and M2 wanted to.
            Anyone play the Switch version? Is it fun or do the track limitations restrict it? They couldn't add the 32X tracks because of difference in collision detection.

Streets of Rage 2 is and always will be immense for me.
            I love how there's an element of narrative. One bit I've mentioned is how you're fighting in a bar and the barman is nonchalantly polishing a glass, then goes out a door when you're finished off the patrons. You follow out to the yard out back. The music fades, a crack of thunder signals the start of the rain, which splashes in droplets on the ground and it's revealed the barman is your first boss - cue the boss music!

Comment

SF2 Turbo
              Mario World
              Super Metroid

Comment

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] The switch port is absolutely amazing, highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  1) Power Drift - SEGA's most amazing Arcade racer. It was like being in a rollercoaster
                  Yeah, it was amazing at the time. I still have a soft spot for it, seeing it's such an over-the-top, colourful retro experience.

I'll never forget being gutted with how slow the Amiga version was -- it's painful to play. The dev should have scaled things down much more, so it could run reasonably well. But it really wasn't suited to the home systems of the day.

2) Mario IV - Still to this day the most perfect 2D platform game ever made
                  Yeah, platforming perfection. As much as I also like Yoshi's Island, I wish Nintendo had also made a proper sequel to Super Mario World.

3) Super Metroid - Amazing level design and a game that really showed how much music can add to the experience. I remember at the time being slightly depressed at how much better NCL were than SEGA for the consumer with games like this LOL
                  I remember loving the eerie graphics and creepy atmosphere. It oozes Nintendo magic, and really showed that they're not just about cutesy games. It was certainly a game to show off to Mega Drive fixated people.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                  Streets of Rage 2 by a country mile, it's not even close.
                  Such a great game. It's easily in my Top 5 beat 'em ups. And also one of my favourite MD games.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  SFII Turbo plays too fast to be fun for me
                  You can adjust the speed in the SNES version. I also don't like it playing really fast.

I find Super Mario World a little clunky to play, to be honest. It's not fun trying to wrestle Yoshi to do the jumps you want. I think I'm the only person in the universe who thinks that, but I like it but don't love it,
                  I don't think I've ever felt it was a bit clunky, but I've played it so much over the years that it's all second nature to me. I love how it feels to play -- so slick and responsive. I sometimes just play a few levels when I'm in the mood for a bit of platforming action.

Streets of Rage 2 is and always will be immense for me.
                  I love how there's an element of narrative. One bit I've mentioned is how you're fighting in a bar and the barman is nonchalantly polishing a glass, then goes out a door when you're finished off the patrons. You follow out to the yard out back. The music fades, a crack of thunder signals the start of the rain, which splashes in droplets on the ground and it's revealed the barman is your first boss - cue the boss music!
                  Yeah, the designers made sure it felt really epic. I love how much care and attention went into the design. An absolutely brilliant creation that fully deserves all the plaudits.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-07-2020, 18:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    You can adjust the speed in the SNES version. I also don't like it playing really fast.
                    The arcade version, Hyper Fighting, feels only marginally faster than Champion Edition. It’s only the console versions that had the stars to ramp the speed right up.

Maybe QualityChimp was getting confused with the hack jobs?

Comment

I'm sure SF Turbo had a speed setting for the arcade operator but I'm probably wrong. I thought the hyper / turbo name was due to region, not console or arcade. I'm surprised it didn't get more votes it's perhaps the best version of a classic that took arcades by storm and revitalised them, it was 2 player perfection. I know many prefer Super. Even now I'm surprised at little details like the stage music not being irritating after all those years of repeated play.

Still, the forum is quiet and always surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        Yeah, it was amazing at the time. I still have a soft spot for it, seeing it's such an over-the-top, colourful retro experience.
                        It was the full-on hydraulic Arcade experience where this game really came alive. I spent a fortune on it down Porthcawl. It was rollercoaster in the Arcades and was nuts a top laugh.

I remember loving the eerie graphics and creepy atmosphere. It oozes Nintendo magic
                        Too true. That music just added so much to the game and the game atmosphere. It was one of those brilliant games where you just get fully absorbed in and where you look at the clock, you can't believe how long you've been playing the game for.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                          I'm sure SF Turbo had a speed setting for the arcade operator but I'm probably wrong. I thought the hyper / turbo name was due to region, not console or arcade.
                          You know, after all these years I think you are right. I just watched a few videos on YouTube of the arcade version and in a few of them the speed is ramped right up, in some it’s a bit faster than CE, and some are in between. Guess I got lucky that the operators near me had the speed dip switch set to the lower end.

Everywhere outside Japan the arcade version was released as Hyper Fighting so yes, it was regional, but also differentiates it from the home ports which were released as Turbo (or SCE on the MD to stop Nintendo having a fit) worldwide.

Edit: I’ve had a snoop around and it looks like the issue is that MAME might emulate it too fast? An original PCB should be only slightly faster than CE. I thought I was going mad there as I couldn’t recall any major speed increase from back in the day and I played the first three iterations of SF2 a lot.

References
                          Game speed info

Emulation info
                          DSP seems to think so. skip to 2:45 for gameplay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVD7SesP1tA Its so bad apparently that he rage quit and won't play it anymore. His favorite game of all time. ːtcryː
                          Last edited by samanosuke; 14-07-2020, 07:41.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                            I'm surprised it didn't get more votes it's perhaps the best version of a classic that took arcades by storm and revitalised them, it was 2 player perfection. I know many prefer Super. Even now I'm surprised at little details like the stage music not being irritating after all those years of repeated play.
                            I think a lot of people went on to prefer the Zero/Alpha series and Third Strike.

I personally still love everything about Turbo. The music certainly has a timeless quality.

It was the full-on hydraulic Arcade experience where this game really came alive. I spent a fortune on it down Porthcawl. It was rollercoaster in the Arcades and was nuts a top laugh.
                            Yeah, it really needs to be played on the hydraulic machine that makes it feel like a roller coaster. It was an amazing experience.

Too true. That music just added so much to the game and the game atmosphere. It was one of those brilliant games where you just get fully absorbed in and where you look at the clock, you can't believe how long you've been playing the game for.

Do you remember the big box PAL version? That was crazy!

Comment

My votes:

Super Mario World: It's a perfect example of how platforming games can be so fun to play. I'll always enjoy going back to it.
                              Street Fighter 2 Turbo: I'll never forget how much I loved the SNES version. It's still one of my go-to fighters because I love everything about it.
                              Virtua Racing: I really enjoyed the arcade version, so I must have played it hundreds of times throughout the '90s. I wish I had a Switch to play the HD remaster.

The other games are also faves, but I like these three even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X