Clear All

The votes so far:

Super Mario World: 5 votes
    Streets of Rage 2: 4 votes
    Virtua Racing: 3 votes
    Super Metroid: 2 votes
    Power Drift: 1 vote
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo: 1 vote
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-07-2020, 20:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Do you remember the big box PAL version? That was crazy!
      That's the one I had. I got in Virgin Megastore along with Tomcat Alley, Dracula Unleashed for the Mega-CD on the same day. I just remember getting so absorbed into Super Metroid, that I missed my supper that Saturday and when the boys gave me knock to go down the Pub (and going out in a Saturday night, was a big deal to us then) I said I'll be out after, only to stay in and just play Metroid for most of the night, before moving on to Dracula at midnight LOL.

Wish I could have those days back

Comment

This is a hard one as they all hold a special place. Power Drift reminds me of the seaside ... Virtual Racing reminds me of the bowling alley ... but I'm going to have to go with the SNES trio ...

Street Fighter 2 Turbo
        - SFII all started in the seaside arcade. I chose Guile and my friend chose Dhalsim ... and his long reach pummelled me. Then came the SNES sessions ... and Turbo just became the go-to version.

Super Mario World - Best launch game ever. Best 2D platform game ever.

Super Metroid - I never bothered with this until the 32-bit era. I picked up a loose cart in my local indie for a few quid. Knew nothing about the series, had no idea how to play and it sucked me right in. Amazing atmosphere. Still haven't finished with though ... aways get stuck on where to go near the end

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          Wish I could have those days back
          I also loved the 16-bit era, so I have fond memories of how exciting and fun those days were. I used to spend all evening and into the night having gaming tournaments with friends, playing games such as SF2 Turbo, SMK, Pilotwings etc.... It used to get on my parents nerves how my room sounded like an arcade. My mum sometimes mentions those days and I say "hadoken", to which she responds "That noise drove me round the bend."

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Street Fighter 2 Turbo - SFII all started in the seaside arcade. I chose Guile and my friend chose Dhalsim ... and his long reach pummelled me. Then came the SNES sessions ... and Turbo just became the go-to version.
          Guile vs Dhalsim Some people managed to be really good with those characters. When I got Turbo on import for Xmas 1993, it became the go-to game for competition with friends and family. It felt so perfect in all areas.

Super Mario World - Best launch game ever. Best 2D platform game ever.
          It's also my favourite 2D platformer. It always lures me back again and again, because the platforming action feels so slick and I love the atmosphere.

Still haven't finished with though ... aways get stuck on where to go near the end
          I'm not a fan of Metroid style games in general, but Super Metroid is exceptional. Sounds like you'll need to watch a 'Let's Play' on YouTube, because it can get confusing.

Comment

I also loved the 16-bit era, so I have fond memories of how exciting and fun those days were. I used to spend all evening and into the night having gaming tournaments with friends, playing games such as SF2 Turbo, SMK, Pilotwings etc.... It used to get on my parents nerves how my room sounded like an arcade. My mum sometimes mentions those days and I say "hadoken", to which she responds "That noise drove me round the bend." :
            I would always drive my mum nuts by always looking to play the Mega Drive/Snes on the big TV downstairs with games and wires all over the shop. Miss the days of how when you had a brand new game or system you'll have friends in to play them or go to a mates house to play their latest stuff and the early 90's was just awesome for Arcade's

I also miss being young and in my 20's full of life. These days I can't be bothered to do much LOL
            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 15-07-2020, 11:33.

Comment

I would always drive my mum nuts by always looking to play the Mega Drive/Snes on the big TV downstairs with games and wires all over the shop. Miss the days of how when you had a brand new game or system you'll have friends in to play them or go to a mates house to play their latest stuff and the early 90's was just awesome for Arcade's

I also miss being young and in my 20's full of life. These days I can't be bothered to do much LOL
              I had different groups of friends growing up, school, gaming etc etc. My console and computer and arcade friends were all of different backgrounds, different races but we went to each others homes and shared what we had. I lost touch with most of them but it was perhaps the most friendly community I was ever a part of and at a young age. Now I don't like many games and even the past wasn't perfect of course but I do miss those days. This message above reminded me. I don't miss dodging muggings in some arcades though.

Comment

SF2 Turbo, SMW, Super Metroid.
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I started off using a Phillips monitor with my import consoles, but then rented a 21" Sony Trinitron for a while. I managed to save up for a brand new 25" Trinitron and used that throughout the '90s. That really made it feel like an arcade experience with all the consoles I had collected. I became known as the "console kid" in my area, after a friend gave me that nickname.

Yeah, it was great being young and full of energy and enthusiasm. The industry was gradually growing, which made gaming really exciting. There was so much to look forward to. I really was totally obsessed with gaming from an early age.

With the amount of gaming stuff you're always buying, I can't believe you "can't be bothered". You just need a Red Bull or two.

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                  I had different groups of friends growing up, school, gaming etc etc. My console and computer and arcade friends were all of different backgrounds, different races but we went to each others homes and shared what we had. I lost touch with most of them but it was perhaps the most friendly community I was ever a part of and at a young age..
                  Gaming always brought people together in my life. I gravitated towards gamers -- and they gravitated towards me. It was something that created friendships and bonds. So I think the idea that gamers were "loners in dark rooms" is very much an exaggeration. There was an element of that, but it wouldn't be fair to say the industry was focused on those people.

Gaming culture had so many facets: multi-player gaming, magazines, computer shows, tv shows(Games Master etc..). I even had friends who also loved game music and we'd make mixtapes.

It's just a sad fact that academia and the media had a snobby attitude towards gaming. They couldn't see the social aspect of it -- and how there was a lot of skill and artistry involved in creating games. No, they were happy to promote negative sterotypes about gaming and the people who enjoyed it.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-07-2020, 06:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    SF2 Turbo, SMW, Super Metroid.

SNES for the win!

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                      I had different groups of friends growing up, school, gaming etc etc. My console and computer and arcade friends were all of different backgrounds, different races but we went to each others homes and shared what we had. I lost touch with most of them but it was perhaps the most friendly community I was ever a part of and at a young age. Now I don't like many games and even the past wasn't perfect of course but I do miss those days. This message above reminded me. I don't miss dodging muggings in some arcades though.
                      I live in a tiny rural village and most of my mates from then are still around and I still see most of them, Only the likes of Huw have moved and now lives in Scotland. But most of us now are in our late '30s or early '40s. Life is different due to nothing more than not being kids anymore and too old for sleep overs Ect.

I and most of my mates still game and love gaming. I really miss the Arcade mind, the few that are left here are now full of Fruit/slot machines. Not like in the 80's or 90's where they were Arcade's everywhere and even Arcade games in the local chippy and cafe .

Comment

I started off using a Phillips monitor with my import consoles, but then rented a 21" Sony Trinitron for a while. I managed to save up for a brand new 25" Trinitron and used that throughout the '90s. That really made it feel like an arcade experience with all the consoles I had collected. I became known as the "console kid" in my area, after a friend gave me that nickname. .
                        One of the 1st things I did when I started fulltime employment was to rent a 21' Nicam TV from Granada. I thought I was in God's pocket with that. It was so nice too as the Hitachi TV I had then handled all the NTSC signal's no trouble and the S-Video input gave an incredible picture too (really handy for my 3DO).

Quite a few of my friends were nerds, along with me and my nickname was Sonic for obvious reasons. You could never get past the stereotype that many people had of anyone who liked gaming back in the day. Just as in the same way, any male who liked Star Trek in my neck of the woods was a Virgin and never kissed a girl or anyone who liked football was a hooligan. The girls in my work, still say and think that about Football fans, whilst overlooking how many fights happen in the Pubs during the 6 Nations LOL

Comment

and the S-Video input gave an incredible picture too (really handy for my 3DO).
                          Yeah, the S-Video signal from the 3DO looked nice. My Trinitron had a socket in the compartment at the front.

Quite a few of my friends were nerds, along with me and my nickname was Sonic for obvious reasons.

I had a couple of friends who were true gaming geeks(head always in Mean Machines and the Complete Guide to Consoles ) but the rest were a varied bunch who mainly just liked the social aspect of multiplayer gaming. Playing against other people in all sorts of games was a big part of my life.

I was always the one who influenced other people to buy computers & consoles. When friends got to see my Amiga in 1989, they all wanted one. I used to rave about the Amiga at school, so I ended up being responsible for lots of 'Batman packs' being sold in 1990. The same with the Mega Drive(friends thought Sonice was amazing ) and the SNES(SF2 Turbo and Mario Kart convinced people).

my nickname was Sonic for obvious reasons.
                          Your username really should be 'Sonic Team', seeing you have all sorts of Sonic stuff -- including socks and pants.

You could never get past the stereotype that many people had of anyone who liked gaming back in the day. Just as in the same way, any male who liked Star Trek in my neck of the woods was a Virgin and never kissed a girl .
                          I think it's more a case of people who were gaming fanatics having a bad image, but that's the same with anyone who completely focuses on one thing. You end up being called a "weirdo" if you only have one hobby that you're obsessed with. It's definitely not healthy to be obsessed with something, but some people end up like that.

As much as I loved gaming, I also loved football, music, films, anime, playing tennis, mountain biking, creativity, going out etc... I'd say gaming was only 60% of my life.

I really like Star Trek, but never bought the uniform. Used to watch the OG Star Trek and TNG on BBC2 after school. I just saw it as being good entertainment, but some people were crazy about it and became Trekkies. I had a girlfriend like that.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-07-2020, 09:08.

Comment

I had a couple of friends who were true gaming geeks(head always in Mean Machines and the Complete Guide to Consoles ) but the rest were a varied bunch who mainly just liked the social aspect of multiplayer gaming. Playing against other people in all sorts of games was a big part of my life:
                            I used to embrace the nerd aspect, it never bothered me and used to wear my Sonic and 'Do me a Favour and plug into a SEGA' T-Shirt's to PE classes. I loved SEGA so much, I wasn't scared to show it. I also love Star Trek but never owned up to it in school mind LOL.

I should note that thanks to a shared love of gaming, I made many new friends at Comprehensive school, not just the SEGA lot, but in my Comprehensive school form, there was a big following for the Atari ST
                            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 16-07-2020, 12:05.

Comment

I used to embrace the nerd aspect, it never bothered me and used to wear my Sonic TV and 'Do me a Favour and plug into a SEGA' T-Shirt's to PE classes. I loved SEGA so much, I wasn't scared to show it.
                              I think you're more of a geek than a nerd -- just someone who has lots of enthusiasm for their hobby. I don't think you sat in a dark room playing Ultima all day and night like a nerdy person. I've never actually met a 'nerd', so I think they were probably more focused on things like Dungeons & Dragons and Adventure games. But I have known plenty of 'geeks' who simply had a passion for all sorts of gaming.

but in my Compreshinve school form, there was a big following for the Atari ST
                              I only knew one kid with an Atari ST and he didn't like me because I had an Amiga. I think he was jealous. But I remember being fascinated with the Atari ST around 1986-88 in magazines, because it was 16-bit and had some interesting games.

I never took sides when it came to gaming because I was interested in nearly all computers and consoles. So I'd always be trying my best to get my hands on all sort of systems. I had this really strong curiosity for everything game-related, so I wanted to experience everything. I even tried to get an AES in 1991, but me and my dad agreed that the games were way too expensive. £350 for the console and a puzzle game.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-07-2020, 16:54.

Comment

I and most of my mates still game and love gaming. I really miss the Arcade mind, the few that are left here are now full of Fruit/slot machines. Not like in the 80's or 90's where they were Arcade's everywhere and even Arcade games in the local chippy and cafe .
                                Honestly, you should really organise a weekend away to Bury with all your old mates. I try to get up there at least once a year, if not twice, and me and my mates have a right laugh. We’re going up to the Leeds one for the first time next month.

Comment

Working...
                                X