No announcement yet.

TerraOnion MODE - installation and use impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had little problems with the collection i got off internet archive (didn't bother with alot of the Visual Novels or RPG maker looking JP only RPG's, and only 1 of each sport title), most of it comes down to your saturn hardware revision, extra power concerns on big HDD's (there are ways around this including some bloke selling a mini plug and play power board for it; mobiusstriptech on twitter) or missing the ram cart (like xmen v sf). The forum for support on Terra's website has all sort of threads going for issues.

i couldn't get a large 500gb+ SD micro to work past 100gb for some reason, i couldn't get a 2tb SATA to power up enough without extra help, but had success with a 20gb USB pen and 150 gb SSD, which what i currently use with a USB3 adaptor to easily move iso's over from my PC.

As far as UI goes, you can download from link from the website after you register for the firmware update to get get 500mb cover art and text file zip, just blonk it on hardrive root and it'll give you (slightly slow loading) cover art and clicking on the game gives in game graphics and a description. I've not got around to messing with sorting out a proper reset back to the MODE UI shortcut yet, and i would certainly say have a memory card cart as i doesn't seem to use the new storage to store save files (could be i missed that)

Currently enjoying Dark Saviour.
    Last edited by Tobal; 21-08-2020, 10:41.

Comment

I’m using mine on Dreamcast. I haven’t had any glaring issues luckily but Crazy Taxi played up on the first firmware revision. It’s all been sorted now with the new firmware however I can’t get the MODE menu reset to work for the life of me. It’s a small nitpick though, everything else works great.

Comment

Question on saturn RAM carts... looking around, reprodution ones don't seem to exist which leaves getting expensive Uk sellers, much cheaper JP sellers but of course shipping costs(and it turning up) on ebay or the like selling game+oringal japanese cart 4mb cart or get one of the cheaper Action Replay 4mb+ ones seem to be in regular stock on amazon of all places.. any one have problems with the AR4+s running the likes of X-men v SF?

also just played Doom, Hexen and Quake, back to back... how Doom was allowed with that frame-rate is a crime, Hexen run just fine and Quake, aside form not being able to tell what im shooting at past 5 feet, looks and runs amazingly.. just keep those dogs away from me, once they up close i can't see them and looking down takes forever. Next up powerslave/exhumed and Duke.

Comment

Interesting thread.

The MODE has definitely got me curious given that I have a boxed PAL DC gathering dust.

How easy/hard is DC installation?

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
            Next up powerslave/exhumed and Duke.
            I don't rate Duke Nukem 3D itself, but if you have saves from other Lobotomy games (I believe Exhumed and/or Quake will do it) on your machine, then you should get access to the greatest hidden game ever - DEATH TANK ZWEI. Supports up to 7 players, and the number of people playing acts almost like a multiplier for the amount of fun you have. So, so good.

Comment

I have nothing of use to add, but every time this thread pops up, I think of something like this:

Comment

While I don’t have my MODEs installed yet it has given me pause for thought about making future purchases for the DC. I’ve got my eye on this Shmup bundle https://www.pixelheart.eu/produit/as...tor-dreamcast/ but won’t be able to play it on the ODE equipped DC. Is it possible to rip the game to use with MODE? What software would I need for that?

Comment

You used to need a Dreamcast broadband adapter for rips... Not sure there's an easier way now. Either way it's probably easier to just find a rip on release

Comment

This is true. I have 2 dreamcasts and a BB adapter. I use one with GD emu and one for rips.

Easier to dl a ripped ISO.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. It’s the dichotomy of ODE ownership I suppose. I still want support homebrew developers but need to rely on someone ripping it so I can enjoy it. Maybe a Satiator would have been a better bet?

Comment

I believe that's only for the Saturn that one!

Comment

Are these new DC releases on gdroms? Are they still manufactured? True homebrew releases would be much simpler to rip yourself I think.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                            I believe that's only for the Saturn that one!
                            Doh! Well spotted.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                              Are these new DC releases on gdroms? Are they still manufactured? True homebrew releases would be much simpler to rip yourself I think.
                              Homebrew stuff tends to be on MIL-CD so I had thought there may be a PC based tool for making a backup to use on an ODE.

Comment

That's a very good point actually. I wonder

Comment

Working...
                                X