TerraOnion MODE - installation and use impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TerraOnion MODE - installation and use impressions

Here are some impressions of the MODE used in a Saturn.

The box comes with the MODE (of course), 8 plastic stand-offs with adhesive pads, a 2-pin power connector, 2 screws, an a leaflet with the URL for the installation guide. The installation guide can be downloaded by everyone, if you want to download future firmware updates (units now ship with 1.01r4 firmware) you need to register to TerraOnion's website.

The complexity and length of the installation varies between Saturn models. At first I wanted to install it inside a grey 3200 model, but the innards were a bit too different than what is shown on the guide, so I opted for a white HST-0014 instead; I gave up on the grey 3200 when I realized a connector I had to unplug looped through an incredibly tight ferrite filter attached to the optical drive's PCB.
    Installation in the 0014 is very straightward and almost identical to what is shown by the installation guide currently available: there are a few minor differencies here and there, but nothing major. Compared to the GC-Loader, installation is faster because there aren't as many screws to undo, but you need to pay attention to more details: the first is if your Saturn is 21-pin or 20-pin, and connecting the data cable to the wrong receptacle will damage both console and MODE.
    The second is that some Saturn models can't properly power the MODE, and in this case you need to use the 2-pin connector included with the expansion board, and flip a dip-switch on it to correctly use it. My model doesn't need that, luckily.

The MODE supports three mass devices: USB, micro SD, and 2.5" SATA. You can switch between these three when the MODE operates, but due to microcontroller limitations, you can't use USB and SATA at the same time; the USB port is placed in such a way that it's blocked with a HDD plugged in. With a micro SD in, MODE will automatically look for a new firmware at every boot, with USB and SATA you have to manually start the update process.
    If you want to use an SSD/HDD, TerraOnion points out that before attaching the board to the console you should secure the drive with the two screws included; I didn't, because if you want to remove the drive, you have to unplung all cables from MODE and remove it from the plastic stand-offs; quite the task, considering you also need to open up the console.
    Of the whole process, I only have two gripes: on my model, one to the plastic stand-offs ends squarely on the connector to the pads, so I didn't use it. The second is that there's no way to access any of the storage connectors with the console closed: of the two consoles I have, the grey 3200 offers the largest hole to the innards, but it's nowhere big or comfortable enough to easily reach the USB or micro SD, let alone disconnect a 2.5" drive. The white 0014 is even worse. So I'm keeping my console unfastened, the two halves of the chassis taped together with thin modelling plastic tape, and the chassis screws taped inside in an anti-static bag. Not exactly the cleanest of solutions, but Laser Bear Industries (the same guys behind the SD card extender I use for the GC-Loader) are creating extensions for the SD slot; which Saturn models will support, however, I don't know.

Once everything is in place, usage is simple. Storage can be formatted in either FAT32 or exFAT, and games must be placed in separate directories in BIN/CUE format. The MODE is apparently smart enough to automatically change discs when required, provided that all discs are properly named and place in the same directory. Game directories cannot be on the root or the drive, they must be place in a directory named after the console you're using. If you don't do so, the MODE will not recognize any game.
    I'm currently using a Samsung QVO 1TB SSD, and so far I haven't encountered any problems.
    There's also a way to assign thumbnails and display games with that rather than a dry alphabetical list, but I still have to try that out.

If you are using a 4-in-1 Action Replay cart, powering the Saturn will bring up that cart's menu up first, then you can navigate to MODE (with "start game without cheats enabled"), and after you select the game from there, the Action Replay menu will pop up again. Somewhat cumbersome, but nothing major.

As for the Dreamcast, I suspect using the MODE will be much more straightfoward than a GDEMU, simply because you can just copy stuff onto the drive and have the MODE sort it alphabetically without having to produce companion files describing the game.

So, hypothetical question...

Let's say you were to load up a HDD with every Saturn game, filtering out duplicates (like you go with the best region for each game, which is probably going to be mostly US, Japanese exclusives and Euro exclusives... the 5 or so that exist). How big an HDD would you need?

I ask because I genuinely have no idea. In theory it could be huge but despite coming on CD, many Saturn/PS1 games are actually really quite small, and some go from huge to tiny if you just hack out their intro sequences.

After getting and RG-350 this has been an interesting thought for me, due to when you compare library sizes. You can pretty much get every game ever released for MD, SNES, GG, MS, NES, NGPC, GBA and a bunch of other classic systems on a relatively modest memory card. The NeoGeo starts getting bigger per-game when you get to the later stuff, but everything that was contemporary with the AES is bigger than Megadrive games but in today's numbers, still small.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

Let's say you were to load up a HDD with every Saturn game, filtering out duplicates (like you go with the best region for each game, which is probably going to be mostly US, Japanese exclusives and Euro exclusives... the 5 or so that exist). How big an HDD would you need?
      Should be around 1TB.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
        Should be around 1TB.
        Nah, it would be bigger than that. In Japan there are around 1300 odd Saturn releases. Add in stuff that never got a Japanese release and you'll be well over 1TB I reckon.

Comment

However the language barrier of some stuff would be too high so not worth putting them on unless you can make your way through them. Love when new tech is made for old consoles imagine back in the day that some time in the future there would be mod devices like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

importaku hit the nail, don't waste your time getting every game or even bother. I've had Phoebe & Rhea set ups with 128gb card, 300 games more than enough. Any more, you won't play any of them..Less is more

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              However the language barrier of some stuff would be too high so not worth putting them on
              Yeah, I suppose I wasn't clear whether I meant literally every single game, and, I guess, "every game that's fun to play with only rudimentary knowledge of Japanese" (which will cut the library down somewhat).

Comment

I've got a 300GB IDE drive for my PS2 and I'm struggling to fill it with anything I'm ever going to put more than ten minutes into. I've already had to delete several games after having a play and thinking "Ermm, maybe not...".

You just don't want plain old ****e polluting the goodness when browsing your list.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  You just don't want plain old ****e polluting the goodness when browsing your list.

Yeah, delete 98% of the sport games from any collection. And all the horse racing management, mahjong and other really boring stuff. Then when you go through the games, delete any others that spoil the collection. It's great when you just have good to great games in a collection.

Comment

Any further thoughts on the Mode now folks have had it for a few weeks? What’s the interface like? Any compatibility issues? Think of picking one up but not sure yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Critic View Post
                      Any further thoughts on the Mode now folks have had it for a few weeks? What’s the interface like? Any compatibility issues? Think of picking one up but not sure yet.
                      For the Saturn it’s fantastic, no compatibility issues so far. Be careful when installing it though as I fried my Saturn the first time around and had to buy a new one. Think it may be because I am using an SSD and which needs the ext. power or I didn’t connect the wires correctly.

Comment

I should have said, it’s the Saturn I’m planning on using it for. Wow, I didn’t know if you installed it incorrectly then you could damage the console, thanks for the warning.

Comment

To me, I find it a strange design. Just offer SD storage, there is no point in using SSD drives etc. It takes trial and error with some of the games due to how they are dumped. You would have to remove the SSD a fair bit to add stuff.

Comment

I think the idea behind the SATA interface is that you can just whack everything on it to begin with.

Comment

Would still need testing and tuning though.

Comment

Working...
                              X