Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 5

Aliens
    Golden Axe
    Shadow Dancer
    Shinobi
    Splatterhouse
    Strider

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.

Golden Axe and Shinobi are timeless classics for me. Think Shinobi takes the top spot.

After that, I'm not bothered about the rest. Never liked Shadow Dancer. Strider is OK, so I'll pick that, but way behind the first two.

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience with these games. Never did get round to trying Shadow Dancer and I'm just starting to give Splatterhouse a shot with the PC-Engine version. I can only pick two from this list.

Shinobi
      Golden Axa

Comment

Aliens is my fave by a long way, not really a fan of any of the others. I was really into the film at the time the game landed and playing it in the arcade was a dream come true. Always longed for a home release but when that didn't happen I picked up the arcade board for the supergun. Now I've got it on the Retro Pi and it's always great to go back to.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
          Strider is OK

Well.. it was amazing back in 1989.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
          I'm just starting to give Splatterhouse a shot with the PC-Engine version.
          The PCE version is really good. Because it didn't get ported to other systems, it was even more special.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Aliens is my fave by a long way, not really a fan of any of the others. I was really into the film at the time the game landed and playing it in the arcade was a dream come true. Always longed for a home release but when that didn't happen I picked up the arcade board for the supergun.
          I remember first seeing it in a Brighton arcade and thinking "Wow... an Aliens arcade game." And once I played it, I realised it's really well made. I like how the developer decided to create all sorts of xenomorphs, even if the bright colours might annoy some people. You even get zombies.

I was always close to buying a Supergun in the '90s but never got one. I just didn't feel like paying £100+ for arcade boards. It's always been one of my go-to MAME games.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-07-2020, 20:45.

Comment

Aliens
            Shinobi
            Strider

Honourable mention: Golden Axe

I first played Aliens at Barnet Copthall swimming pool and absolutely loved it! Shinobi and Strider are stone-cold classics.

I didn’t find it that easy and like all these games. Some real classics from my favourite era of arcade games.

Comment

Tough this. But like [MENTION=2587]samanosuke[/MENTION], I'd say...

Aliens
              Shinobi
              Strider

Love Golden Axe too.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

Honourable mention: Golden Axe

I will always love Golden Axe. There's something really special about the whole design that makes it a joy to play through.

My favourite character is Gilius Thunderhead.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                I didn’t find it that easy and like all these games. Some real classics from my favourite era of arcade games.
                Yeah, they're all good games. Such a great era for coin-ops.

Comment

Nothing gets the blood pumping like Golden Axe title theme! Holy moly!

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                    Nothing gets the blood pumping like Golden Axe title theme! Holy moly!

Yeah, the title music sets the tone perfectly.

Comment

All the music in it is great, Path of Fiend being the highlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Yeah, the title music sets the tone perfectly.
                        Can't help feel that Ginius Thunderhead got the thin end of the wedge on that poster

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Can't help feel that Ginius Thunderhead got the thin end of the wedge on that poster

Yeah, it's quite a funny poster once you look at it closely.

Comment

My votes:

Golden Axe: I'm still a big fan of the whole design -- from the beautiful graphics to the rousing music. Stands the test of time really well.
                            Aliens: It may take liberties with the license, but I love the whole design. It's such a great action fest with really nice graphics.
                            Splatterhouse: Such a disgusting game that's always a whole lot of fun to play through.

Comment

The votes so far:

Golden Axe: 3 votes
                              Aliens: 3 votes
                              Shinobi: 3 votes
                              Strider: 2 votes
                              Splatterhouse: 1 vote
                              Shadow Dancer: 0 votes

Comment

Working...
                              X