Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the oldest system you can stomach now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

An older workmate was really excited about getting an Atari 2600 mini at Christmas, but he was bored of it really quickly.
    It still blows my mind that there are/were C64 and Atari 2600 minis, and not in a good way. Everything about them spelt flop from top to bottom in my eyes.

Comment

Still play C64 and Vectrex, and occasionally go back to 2600 and 7800. There's some cracking new C64 stuff always released, playing them is part of the "job" for reviewing in the revamped Zzap Annuals heh.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Was born in 76 so i grew up in the generation of pong clones and 8 bit computers as such i can play pretty much anything but i'm selective with the machines i emulate nowadays. Still play very old stuff like spectrum and amiga and happy to play the old 8 bit console stuff and beyond too but there are some consoles like jaguar/3DO/CD 32 that i'll never want to go explore their librarys of games as they totally turn me off.

Comment

For the most part SNES and by SNES I mean SNES as I struggle now with huge chunks of MD stuff as well. Then it gets spotty as the 32 Bit era is ropey these days too often.

Comment

For the most part, I have become a 16-bit and upwards guy. But there are quite a few exceptions. Some obvious NES and Master System classics I still really love (SMB3, Castle of Illusion and so on) and I went on an old Dizzy binge a while back emulating the old computers (Speccy or whatever they were on) and still really loved those. Although at the same time, I revisited a few other games I used to enjoy, such as Jack the Nipper, and found them totally unplayable. 16-bit is the safe zone.

Comment

I'll go right back to the start, doesn't bother me - just have to be in the right mood for it!

With regards to the Atari 2600/VCS and similar systems, I think the problem people encounter is that they're a lot more fun as a two-player experience but most retro folks are doing it at home by themselves. Even something as rudimentary as Atari "Combat" is a right laugh with a like-minded friend.

Not saying good single player games don't exist on these systems but you have to dig around a bit. Worth mentioning that the dud/good ratio is awful on things of that era too, always was. Don't let the stinkers put you off.

Comment

If I'm filling up a device with retro game emulators, personally I won't go further back than NES. NES has some stunning games that even stand up today. I may stretch to the Spectrum and C64 actually for the likes of Wizball, Back to School, Sam Cruise etc. A small but potent mix. But yeah, NES. Such a vast library to discover.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

Arcade is the outlier to this, obviously: Will always play coin-op games, especially the golden-age stuff from between 1980 and 2000.
                  Yeah I think similar to this and as [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] mentioned, even if older arcade games look basic where they were deliberately built to spec/purpose they run smoothly and sound cool typically.

Comment

My Intellivision, which was also my very 1st console.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      Yeah I think similar to this and as [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] mentioned, even if older arcade games look basic where they were deliberately built to spec/purpose they run smoothly and sound cool typically.
                      I was going to say this as well! In terms of arcades, stuff from the golden era is still fantastic even today.

I play SNES/MD pretty much exclusively, nothing before it and not much after it (I do also have a Switch that I play and a Dreamcast packed away that I don’t). I’m happy to play 8-bit stuff and probably would play 32-bit too but I just don’t want any more hardware knocking around than those two consoles and prefer using the real McCoy so only really emulate when I’m playing an emulator handheld.

The oldest system I still actively use? An original DMG Gameboy. Asura mentioned it being hard to use those screens today but in actual fact it’s the blurry original LCD which is precisely why I use the DMG - usually when I’m sat in the garden on my sun lounger in the baking hot sun. It’s just about the only screen you can see in that environment! Indoors I’ll use the GB Light.

Comment

I still play C64 and NES stuff. I think playability-wise a lot of C64 stuff stands up better than the Amiga and ST, although there's certainly a massive jump in quality from all of those to the MD/SNES/PCE.

It dips again with the Saturn/PSX 3D games though, which I find can be pretty hard going these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          It drives me insane. If just one company or developer had at least, tried it, got it to take off maybe... I configure WinUAE to change UP to a pad button as well, it improves so many games.
                          I'm not sure whether I just spent years getting used to it, but I find using a decent microswitch joystick, up to jump is fine. I'd hate it on a d-pad though!

Having said that, it is pretty strange the Amiga didn't launch with at least a 2 button stick. There were 2 button joysticks for the C64, but they never really caught on. The C64 could also do analogue control which was never really utilised.

Comment

Anyone on the older computer stuff like the authenticity of the real hardware?
                            The thrill of watching a game load from tape, one line at a time whilst you go off and do something else, rather than using an emulator to play it straight away?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Anyone on the older computer stuff like the authenticity of the real hardware?
                              The thrill of watching a game load from tape, one line at a time whilst you go off and do something else, rather than using an emulator to play it straight away?
                              Might get an old speccy and show my kids during home school science lesson.

But no, I suffered enough as a kid. Volume levels and many prayers.

Comment

I do get the tactile element of physical kit, like slotting a cartridge into a console, but that whole loading faff now seems... masochistic.

Comment

Working...
                                X